Retina Mini and iPad Air screen comparison.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
It's not really a fair comparison. If size doesn't matter, why chose rMini over Air, anyway ? The cost alone ? And if size does matter, the only alternative to rMini is the original Mini.

Yes, the colors on rMini are less saturated, and the overall brightness is less than on Air, which was indeed disappointing, but they are serving different purpose.

tbarker2

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I love my MiniR. I don't have the Air to compare it to but when I went into the Apple store and saw the two I fell instantly in love with the Mini! I'm just blessed to own one! 😍 loving my Mini!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
[SUB][/SUB]
I love my MiniR. I don't have the Air to compare it to but when I went into the Apple store and saw the two I fell instantly in love with the Mini! I'm just blessed to own one! �� loving my Mini!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I am blessed with wife and kids, the rMini is nice to have though ;)

sforsyth01

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Me too. Mine has a stunning display. I picked up an Air for my wife a couple of weeks ago. It replaced her iPad 2. It has a stunning display also. No, I haven't compared them side by side. They both are amazing.

I just got my Retina Mini. Have had the Air since Christmas. I have compared them side by side and have no issues. Both are clear, beautiful displays. Maybe they fixed something...I don't know. But mine are VERY similarly beautiful.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Colors are just a bit deeper on the Air when comparing the same exact photo on the Air and Retina Mini. It's not that big of a difference that people say it is. I am happy I own both.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Colors are just a bit deeper on the Air when comparing the same exact photo on the Air and Retina Mini. It's not that big of a difference that people say it is. I am happy I own both.

Exactly. I don't even notice the difference between my Air and rMini.

via the tablet

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The differences are in the saturation levels of reds and blues (and purples, by extension) - these colors look richer on Air.

Also, because of lower gamut, some of the more subtle colors are changing or "shifting" on Mini - e.g. when I view the same photo with lots of green grass in it on my wife's iPad 3 Retina next to rMini, the green on Mini has a bit more yellow in it. (Luckily, the Caucasian skin tones look similar on both, which is more important for portraits).

Finally, iPad 3 screen is noticeably brighter, I would say with both at max setting, it's easily 30% brighter than rMini. I assume Air is close to 3.

But, as I said, it's a moot point if you need a portable tablet and Air is still too large. rMini has nice and crisp display, it's just not as perfect as a bigger iPad, but it's not bad at all.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I would never have considered the Retina Mini's display anything but beautiful unless I'd read otherwise.

via the tablet

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, try taking it outside in bright light... It's readable but not on the level of it's big brother.

Is it a nice display ? Sure.

But not on par with what Apple offers in other tablets.

But, again, if you need a portable Apple tablet, it's not like there's any better choice.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, try taking it outside in bright light... It's readable but not on the level of it's big brother.

Is it a nice display ? Sure.

But not on par with what Apple offers in other tablets.

But, again, if you need a portable Apple tablet, it's not like there's any better choice.

For a few more years at least, I will not even consider anything other than iPad (I own the Air and Retina Mini). Even the Tech Guy, Leo agrees that the iPad is still tops in tablets today.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't have another iPad to compare color with, but next to my 2013 Nexus 7, this retina display is very obviously better. I am now more interested to see what the iPad Air display looks like now, though. I'm so used to the slightly washed out colors on the Nexus that this Mini looks incredibly vibrant. Not as overly saturated as an AMOLED screen, but much more pleasant.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't have another iPad to compare color with, but next to my 2013 Nexus 7, this retina display is very obviously better. I am now more interested to see what the iPad Air display looks like now, though. I'm so used to the slightly washed out colors on the Nexus that this Mini looks incredibly vibrant. Not as overly saturated as an AMOLED screen, but much more pleasant.

That's neat and very interesting. The Nexus screen is higher resolution (and that's one of its selling points) yet you prefer the color of the iPad (Mini Retina?) more and, therefore, prefer the iPad's screen more. Not surprising, really.

via that gPad 📱

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much. i've been using them side-by-side for a day now just comparing the color of pictures I have in my dropbox and the Retina Mini does a better job at accurately showing colors. The Nexus 7 has a very very slight grey-ness to the screen that mutes everything I'm looking it and has been that way since i got it last year. Its only now that I have something to really compare it to that the differences are so noticeable.

EDIT: okay, i still have to say this. the Nexus 7 is half the cost of the Retina Mini. It makes sense that the screen wouldn't be as crisp and clear at such a huge price difference.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much. i've been using them side-by-side for a day now just comparing the color of pictures I have in my dropbox and the Retina Mini does a better job at accurately showing colors. The Nexus 7 has a very very slight grey-ness to the screen that mutes everything I'm looking it and has been that way since i got it last year. Its only now that I have something to really compare it to that the differences are so noticeable.

EDIT: okay, i still have to say this. the Nexus 7 is half the cost of the Retina Mini. It makes sense that the screen wouldn't be as crisp and clear at such a huge price difference.

I agree about the Nexus 7. Something is off about the Nexus 7 screen colors. I have also quit using it since buying the Retina Mini and now that I have an Air as well, I only pick up the Nexus 7 to charge it once a month or so just to keep it working. I tried selling it but just go lowball offers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro