LCD Burn-In Issues Causing Retina iPad Mini Delay

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
LCD Burn-In Issues Causing Retina iPad Mini Delay | Cult of Mac

What’s causing the Retina iPad mini to launch so late in the year, and why is demand expected to be so limited at launch? Display yield issues tend to be viewed as the culprit, but what exactly is happening? According to a new rumor, LCD burn-in is to blame.

According to Korea’s ETNews, Sharp is having problems with burned-in images on its new IGZO displays destined for the Retina iPad mini.

The issue appears to be one with Sharp’s thin-film transistor layer. This is the heart of IGZO, which allows more light from the LED backlights to actually pass through the display’s pixels. It is this technology that allowed Apple to half the battery and number of LED lamps in the iPad Air while maintaining the same battery life.

According to ETNews’ source, the burn-in is not actually visible to the naked eye, but the panels still can’t be used because of Apple’s incredibly strict quality-control process. It might seem frustrating that Apple’s not loosening these standards just a tad to get the iPad mini in more hands before Christmas, but let’s face it, this is what makes Apple Apple.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!!! I really hope they can get the rMinis out by the end of November but I guess I can wait for perfection, if need be:straight-face:

SteaminBeamin

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am fighting myself as too wether or not to wait. I can wait in a line on Nov.22 if need be but i will not do it on Black Fri.
I am goin to go check out the Air today, if I like it for the business then I will get it and if the Mini comes out the 22nd I will return the Air. Are they still doing the holiday return thing Must return by Jan.?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am fighting myself as too wether or not to wait. I can wait in a line on Nov.22 if need be but i will not do it on Black Fri.
I am goin to go check out the Air today, if I like it for the business then I will get it and if the Mini comes out the 22nd I will return the Air. Are they still doing the holiday return thing Must return by Jan.?

Yes... Jan 7...

8e3ymame.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro