Is the iPad mini with retina display really worth it?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My thread title pretty much says is all. Is the new iPad mini with Retina Display really worth it? Does the upgrade to retina make all the difference for you? Or are you completely fine with the original iPad mini with its lower-res screen?

Suppose it all depends what you use it for, and what fits best into your budget. I do LOVE the retina display, but is shelling out that extra $100 worth it for you? Sound off!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I could tell the difference between retina vs non when switching from my iPad2 to the 3rd gen. iPad... it's difficult to quantify - it's just one of those things you have to see and decide for yourself... for me - retina is just easier to see with my middle-aged eyes.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The difference for me is 'somewhat' like the difference between regular definition and hi def TV. I remember for the longest time we ran with regular definition over here. But when we picked up a new TV and started watching hi def channels... not sure we could ever go back around here!

I agree with you though. Very hard to quantify.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The retina display is not a big deal for > me <, at least not in regard to the iPad. I was content with the display of the iPad 2, and even more so with the iPad Mini. Since the display is a good deal smaller, it looks even more clearer. I read a lot with it, but not in the form of ebooks. I use my Kindle for that, but a good deal of my RSS feeds, Twitter, iMore forum and general webpage reading are done via my iPad Mini and I have no problems with it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that the new Mini got more than just a Retina display. It also has better internals as well as a faster processor compared to the first Mini. I think the price increase is about what you'd expect to see with all of the improvements that were made....

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had already made up my mind not to upgrade my iPad Mini unless it got both the retina display AND TouchID. I knew that in order to get the TouchID, Apple would have to put the A7 processor in the Mini - which was something I was sure that they would not do.

Well, they did. And that got me softening on my position just a bit. Last night my wife came home from work with her iPad 3... she dropped it, chipped the corner of the screen and dented the case right behind the volume rocker...

So, in less than 24 hours I’ve gone from "definitely not" upgrading to "very probably" upgrading... I am leaning at getting the new retina Mini and giving her my original Mini...

Deep down inside, I know that you all caused this. :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So, in less than 24 hours I?ve gone from "definitely not" upgrading to "very probably" upgrading... I am leaning at getting the new retina Mini and giving her my original Mini...

Deep down inside, I know that you all caused this. :)

And that my friend is the power of the internet. But hey! Deeper down inside, you knew you wanted it anyway, lol.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Damn right it's worth the extra cash. I returned a Mini twice because I just couldn't stand the display anymore. It was "sandpaper on my eyes" as Rene likes to put it. Even the contrast of a non-retina display seems darker. The $300 starting price point was exactly what I expected.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Damn right it's worth the extra cash. I returned a Mini twice because I just couldn't stand the display anymore. It was "sandpaper on my eyes" as Rene likes to put it. Even the contrast of a non-retina display seems darker. The $300 starting price point was exactly what I expected.

Are you saying $300 for Retina Mini or the Mini 1. Reason I ask is that the stating price point for the new Mini with Retina is $400.

ymude4ug.jpg

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I would not buy a the non retina iPad. I had the iPad 3rd Gen, and my wife had the iPad 2, I noticed the difference NOTABLY. I have a Nexus 7 now and she has an iPad Mini, and I still notice the difference. The iPad mini has a terrible display in my opinion for this day and age.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
IMO it really comes down to price. $399 for the ipad mini 2... not worth it. If it just took over the $329 price point of the ipad mini 1... then yes. For 399, I'd rather shell out extra for the 499 ipad air. Now that thing is what the ipad line should have been a while ago. Lighter and smaller

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I definitely think its worth it!!! The fact that it has the same internals as the Air but in a smaller package, making the screen even better...I'm definitely getting it!!! I may get a few side eyes from my kids since they each have original Mini's but I think I can deal:rolleyes:

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I use my laptop for school since I am diagnosed with Dyspraxia. My 13" 2011 MBP all though portable can be a pain and I have been meaning to pick up an iPad when it was announced- the problem with the old gen was that it was a smaller version of my iPad 2 and I didn't want that. Now that we have a mini iPad with the same specs as the full sized one, yes it is worth it for me:D

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my iPad mini.

Famous last words! Just today I was offered almost as much for my iPad mini as I paid for it, new, nearly a year ago! So now I'm wondering if I should jump ship and upgrade to the new mini with Retina. One good reason for the upgrade would be that I could go up to the 128GB model. My mini is the 64GB model, the largest I could get at the time, and I really need the storage for those times when I want to travel without my laptop - I'm a photographer, and shaving that extra bit of weight can make all the difference when I travel by air, and to remote locations.

What it means is that instead of lugging a 2 kg laptop I can carry a 300 g iPad mini and 1.7 kg more photo gear! (How is that for self-justification? :) ).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it really worth it? Who knows? lol...what I put value and "worth" in doesn't necessarily mirror the next guy, so just because I find no worth in it doesn't mean there isn't any. Personally, owning a first gen iPad Mini, i don't find it worth it at all...my iPad Mini does what I need it to, I don't need the retina display for anything particularly relevant to what the feature boasts, and as far as speed goes...my iPad Mini has never left me wanting or needing more performance, so no, the new iPad Mini with retina display is not worth it to me.

That said, it is the best value (in my opinion) on the market. While smaller, it still houses the best internals, retina display and costs less than the larger offering. I've never been a fan of the larger iPad, and when I had my iPad 2, I found it less useful than even my iPad Mini, because it was just too damn big and I'd just assume use my laptop at that point. I still feel that way, so the mini is always going to win out for me. I just won't be spending more money on this new one when my old one still functions perfectly.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think the Mini is the best value as well.

This seems like a different question though. Is it worth it? That depends on how much use you get out of the device. For me, I have to honestly say that no ipad has been worth it for me. I've never sat back and felt satisfied with an ipad knowing how much I paid for it along with how little I use it.

One might ask, why keep buying them? Good question. I made the decision a year ago to stop buying ipads. Then along came the Mini (and still took me a few months to decide to keep it). For me, it came down to a couple of games I like to play on the ipad. Kingdom Rush, Chess, etc and an easier price to justify it (but not fully). The ipad, to me, is for entertainment only. The screen of the Mini still made things a pain to read on it. There's no "enjoyable" eye candy with a nonretina screen with the fuzzy text. The screen also seems dull. Nothing pops on it. That's always been a draw back. And with iOS 7, the processor struggles. There's lag and a lot of stutter. The little RAM it has is also more apparent in iOS 7 making what was annoying before on ios 6 even more annoying.

I do feel like this retina ipad mini will be the last one I buy for a few years. I think the retina screen and most current processor will make it fun to use again other than having it for a couple of games. It also may be the first ipad to be "worth it" for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods