IPad as that quintessential second device

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I know of many of my friends who carry an iPad just because of the apps ecosystem being the most comprehensive and plentiful, but they often carry smartphones of other kinds just to fit their more immediate communication and work needs, while some even hold feature phones as well.

I personally carry a Blackberry just because of the keyboard. I can't live without it, it's how I type out my 500 word book reviews in the bus, because I always have to be productive on the go.

Are you the same? And how do you make the multiple devices you have work for you?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I know of many of my friends who carry an iPad just because of the apps ecosystem being the most comprehensive and plentiful, but they often carry smartphones of other kinds just to fit their more immediate communication and work needs, while some even hold feature phones as well.

I personally carry a Blackberry just because of the keyboard. I can't live without it, it's how I type out my 500 word book reviews in the bus, because I always have to be productive on the go.

Are you the same? And how do you make the multiple devices you have work for you?

I use to have a blackberry and then bought a ipad 1 and loved it so when Verizon got the iphone I bought the 4 and have had everyone since and now also use a ipad 4 .. So now everything. Syncs and works great . I did miss the keyboard at first but now not so much and type just as fast on my iPhone

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
While I do carry multiple devices, my iPad mini is essentially an item that rarely leaves my house or my bed side. I mainly use it for browsing and media consumption while relaxing. The times it does leave the house, it's usually on trips/flights cause it's size is great for that. I do carry a BlackBerry Q10 for the keyboard but I also always have another device for fun, media purposes like my iPhone 5 or my HTC One. I don't really find it hard to manage numerous devices, they each have their benefits and disadvantages for me personally. No matter how long I use an iPhone for, I'm still quicker on my BB when it comes to typing things out so I stick with what I know and works for me. I find I'm 'lazier' on anything else, it takes me longer to reply, if I even bother lol.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I used to have an iPad 4 then I gave it to my girl because I had an iPhone 5 then the 5S.
I find it pretty pointless hacking an iPad did to the fact that I also have a MacBook.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I leave my home for an extended period of time, three devices are usually with me:

1. iPhone 5
2. iPad Mini
3. Kindle Paperwhite

I read something all day everyday, whether forum threads, RSS feeds, Bible verses & Chapters, tweets, political columns, or an e-book, therefore, the devices that I carry are being used and used a lot...;)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Have say my IPhone is with me 100% of the time. The IPad 4 85- 90%. I do use my desk top, but nowhere close to the IPad.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone 5 is by my side at all times. It's my full time digital companion. My iPad is my secondary device, which is constantly used for study, reading, sheet music, and preaching notes. The only time I use my computer anymore is for device syncing and work my iPad just isn't equipped to handle.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I carry my iPhone and my iPad 100% of the time when I go out of town. At other times I typically only carry my iPhone.

My MBP rarely travels with me.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Only if I plan to consume media somewhere. Other than that, I don't like how we've gone from "carry fewer devices" to "carry all the thingz!"

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm a one device type of guy. I used to have a BlackBerry PlayBook, as well as an iPad 2, but both rarely leaves the house. I just find it too much of a hassle to carry around. Even when I bring it out with me, I almost never use it. In the end my phone does all I need it to do already.

The advantage for a tablet to me, is its screen real estate, and there's really nothing much I need to do on the go that require that kind of screen real estate. So most of the time I rather just use my smartphone to do everything.

But I can definitely see lots of use for other people. Like I have a friend who is an insurance agent. She used to have to carry a laptop, a signature pad, and of course power supply whenever she goes to a meet a client. Now she has an iPad with a custom built app from her company. She conducts her business entirely on her iPad. For her, it truly is her quintessential second device.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I use an iPhone for most things, my iPad mini for almost everything else. I have a MacBook Pro for the more extensive tasks, but I usually only use it an hour or two per week. My iPhone is 80% of my use, iPad is 15%, and Mac is 5%.

I won't go anywhere but Apple for my technology unless they begin to fall behind like BlackBerry did. I plan to be with Apple for the long haul, years and years from now. I'll be an Phone and iPad user until they don't work anymore.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm a one device type of guy. I used to have a BlackBerry PlayBook, as well as an iPad 2, but both rarely leaves the house. I just find it too much of a hassle to carry around. Even when I bring it out with me, I almost never use it. In the end my phone does all I need it to do already.

The advantage for a tablet to me, is its screen real estate, and there's really nothing much I need to do on the go that require that kind of screen real estate. So most of the time I rather just use my smartphone to do everything.

But I can definitely see lots of use for other people. Like I have a friend who is an insurance agent. She used to have to carry a laptop, a signature pad, and of course power supply whenever she goes to a meet a client. Now she has an iPad with a custom built app from her company. She conducts her business entirely on her iPad. For her, it truly is her quintessential second device.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free

Good thoughts, it's really about the use cases of the individual.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My Z10 is with me all the time. It's the one device I don't leave home without. The iPad 3 stays home and is usually used on the couch or in bed. The Nexus 7 is my travel and on the road tablet - usually thrown into my bag or jacket pocket. It also does double duty as my ebook reader. iPod touch is used when I run or work out, and has also replaced my old PSP as a portable gaming device.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My Z10 is with me all the time. It's the one device I don't leave home without. The iPad 3 stays home and is usually used on the couch or in bed. The Nexus 7 is my travel and on the road tablet - usually thrown into my bag or jacket pocket. It also does double duty as my ebook reader. iPod touch is used when I run or work out, and has also replaced my old PSP as a portable gaming device.

Wow, you seem to be full of them devices too for a Blackberry guy haha.

Jamalaya

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It all comes down to how you use any technolgoy. My iPad mini never leaves my bag, and the bag also carry my camera. In my job, I need to record a lot of hardware malfunctions, write reports, voice memos sometimes and tons of technical papers in PDF. The ipad mini fits my bill 100%, light, portable, excellent reader and commnicator, and brilliant for photos too. For me the natural companion to the iPad is my trusty iPhone 5 and add AirDrop and I have 2 powerful devices for sharing and communicating (my Ipad mini is WiFi ony). Oh both devices are mine, my company offered to buy smething else for work but I refused and they subsidised my purchase.:cool:

Songbirdy

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I use my iPad mini most for school and games and then I use my phone for everything else. I'd say I use them about 50/50.

Summer Time Lovin <3

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My 4S does the phone stuff and gets used for web browsing when I must. 90% of my typing and computer use is either on my home Lenovo or my work HP laptops using Win 7.

My new Mini, which replaces (nicely) a 2 yr. old Samsung, cruises the internet, like now, does e-mail pretty well and is an e-reader at which it excels due to size, but that's what I like about 7" tablets and why I got this device.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My 4S does the phone stuff and gets used for web browsing when I must. 90% of my typing and computer use is either on my home Lenovo or my work HP laptops using Win 7.

My new Mini, which replaces (nicely) a 2 yr. old Samsung, cruises the internet, like now, does e-mail pretty well and is an e-reader at which it excels due to size, but that's what I like about 7" tablets and why I got this device.

It's just that perfect almost-PDA assistant size that really sold it to you, right?

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's just that perfect almost-PDA assistant size that really sold it to you, right?

Pretty much. I used to wonder at my Luddite 68 yr. old sister who got an original iPad and used it exclusively for web surfing and e-mail. I didn't really understand how she was comfortable with that, as I was eternally frustrated with the Samsung trying to type replies to web posts as well as any e-mail use, as my stock Samsung keyboard sucked and the the free keyboard app that was only a slight improvement would crash the system regularly. So it goes with Android.

I get it now. The Mini keyboard is WONDERFUL and so, so much more accurate that I feel liberated typing on that thing.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 used to be my heavy lifter since my laptop is a chromebook. I tired of trying to be productive on a 7" screen though and I was suitable impressed with my iPod Touch that I decided to go for a Mac Mini.

Mac Mini does media and office work for me. My chromebook is for on the go and I remote into my Mac if I need to do serious work. My Nexus has been relegated to playing games I'm afraid.

I love Tapatalk for forums though and still browse a lot on my tab and smartphone because of that.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4