iPad Mini vs. Nexus 7

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Longtime iPad user over here. But of course, doing what I do, I have a LOT of devices and tablets that I get to play with.

I have a Nexus 7 that I use quite a bit, but have been wondering a lot lately if I'd enjoy the iPad Mini in its place. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of each? Is one superior to the other? If you could only have ONE of these tablets, which one would it be, and WHY?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
One could be superior to the other based on your needs, but of course, that's subjective. One of my sons have a Nexus 7 (I think) and he enjoyed it at first, but rarely uses it now. The iPad Mini gets used daily, but I suspect part of the reason is because of familiarity with Apple device. Everyone in my immediate family have i-devices. As for which ONE I would choose of the two mentioned in this thread, of course it would be the one that I have -- The iPad Mini...:)

Jamalaya

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a very difficult question to answer. In my experience it all depends on what you want, be it better os, more customization, superior hardware,. play music, play movies, play games etc.... if you go round the forum. some rate customisation above anything else, others prefer the hardware and so on. It is very personal and some people are so extreme they hate one brand for no other reason than it is Apple or Microsoft or HTC or Samsung and so on. When I bought my iPad mini I did not buy it because it is Apple. I like that the OS is manufactured by one company and that company also does the hardware. In this case I don't have to rely on the manufacturer or some other telecom company to update my OS because it was done by another company. Some devices (not Apple) are still running older OSes even though the hardware is still capable but the manufacturer moved on to another hardware and no longer support the existing one. As we know supporting software/hardware require resources. So imagine supporting multiple hardware and OSes?!

So, for me the form factor, the OS, upgrades, the whole eco system, consistency in the OS (all devices look the same), simplicity yet functional are the killer points and hence iPad mini wins everytime. Mind you, Windows now doing its own hardware (they bought Nokia) which can prove a contender (at least for me) to Apple. Same hardware manufacturer who also do OS.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
In addition to my full sized iPad, I have a 2013 Nexus 7, and at times use my wife's iPad mini. I hate to use a car analogy, but I can think of no better comparison. The Nexus 7 is like a car that's been built for flat out speed and performance, stripped of all insulation, a/c unit and creature comforts. The iPad mini is like the M3, luxurious, yet also fast (though not as quick as the former).

The Nexus easily wins on the spec side and is a better bang for buck. I like using it, but at times it feels like I'm on a really big phone, especially since it uses a lot of up sized phone apps. The mini feels just like an iPad, but smaller and more portable. In other words, I don't get the big phone feeling when using it. If I had to keep only one, I'd take the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
James,

I use a Nexus 7 (2013) and an iPhone 5s. In answering your question, I agree with JustMe'D, in that the choice you make will be subjective to your needs. I chose the Nexus 7 over the iPad Mini for a few reasons. First, the screen resolution on the N7 is better than the Mini (this may change if they release a retina version on 10/22) and that is important to me since I use the N7 for reading. Most of my books are from Amazon and the Kindle app is available for every platform. I also use the N7 for media consumption on my train commute to work and for me it has always been easier to add movies/TV shows/Videos to an Android Device than Apple. I just copy them over and go..... no conversion to iTunes format required. This means a lot to me as I don't have to spend the time converting my .avi files.

Although the N7 is made by Asus, it is made to Google's specifications and since it is a Nexus device, it will always benefit from being able to run the latest version of Android directly from Google, which is why I purchased the Nexus over a different Android tablet. Bewtween the N7 and iPhone 5s I am always running the latest software.

The last reason I purchased the N7 over the Mini was the price. The 32GB wifi only Mini costs $429.00, compared to $269.00 for the 32GB Wifi N7, a savings of $160.00. Conversely, the 32GB LTE Mini costs $559.00, compared to $349.00 for the LTE N7, a savings of $210.00. That is a large savings and with that savings I bought my iPhone 5s.

Both tablets are great and both will do the job, but you need to find the one that meets your usage needs as well as your pocketbook.

~S

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's really fair for me to compare since I had the 2012 models (yes I had 2 of them), NOT the 2013 model. While I did like the Nexus 7, I prefer my iPad mini. Yes the major apps are on both, but I just like the way the mini handles the apps. And the notifications are better on the Mini.

Want to hear something REALLY interesting? I also have a BB PlayBook, and when I had a full sized iPad along with it, I used the PB most, BUT now that I have my mini the PB is pretty much gathering dust! I think I really prefer the 7 inch size.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It’s definitely a matter of personal preference... and using what works for you. I’d just like to add that if you’re already active in one ecosystem or the other, that certainly should factor in. Many apps are available for platforms... but some are not... and at least with the iOS platform, there are a plethora of "universal" apps that will run on both the iPhone/iPad device as well as the iPad device - one app, one purchase, one cost.

As for me, I have used my brother-in-law's Nexus 7 tablet and found the entire experience less than enjoyable... but that’s why there are different devices and different platforms.

djstarion

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess you can say I have plenty invested in both ecosystems, but I would take my iPad mini over a N7 any day. I think a part of it is the size. I just feel like the mini size is perfect for me, where as the N7 felt small. Another part is the app selection. There's a lot more work it seems like that devs put towards the iPad than what Android developers are putting towards tablets, although I'm glad that Google is taking an active step to change that and get more devs on board with making tablet specific apps. If I got an Android tab again (I had the 1st gen N7, Kindle Fire and Galaxy Tab 2 7.0) I would probably get a 10 inch one.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
iPad mini, primarily for the 4:3 display. You will be amazed just how much of that screen space is taken up by the virtual keyboard in landscape mode on a 16:9 tablet.

I don't actually own an iPad mini, but I have handled an Acer Iconia tablet for a while, and that was one of the factors which irritated me.

I also think that at this point, ecosystem plays a stronger deciding role than just specs. I use airplay mirroring while teaching, and switching to a non-apple tablet is simply not an option for me at this stage.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
iPad Mini for sure for me. The iOS ecosystem is stronger and Android tablet apps just aren't up to snuff yet in most cases, though they are getting better. The only reason I'd even considers N7 over the iPad Mini would be the cost as the N7 does come in much easier on the bank account. I have a 2012 N7 and iPad Mini and the N7 pretty much goes untouched and unloved, lol.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, Nexus 7, it has true HD resolution and a thunderously fast SoC, much faster than the one on IPad Mini. I think once Google Play keeps maturing, iPad market share will slowly decline.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm intrigued to see what the next gen iPad Mini will offer, but if I were to compare between the two today, I would lean towards the Nexus 7. I like the screen and sheer speed of it, being able to move and/or play media in the Android ecosystem doesn't require much (if any) converting, and customizing the device (rooting, changing launchers, layout, etc.) however I want it.

Wreckus

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the Nexus 7 (2013 version) back to the IOS world with the current Ipad Mini, I rather take the ecosystem of IOS than screen resolution any day. For me, I don't see much difference when it comes to resolution and I love the fact where games I bought years ago (monopoly for instance) still works where there is no guarantee with the play store that stuff you buy on your current android device will work on newer android devices.

Going from the Original Nexus 7 to the 2013 version cost me at least 10 - 20 bucks of apps I couldn't use any more.

Resolution isn't everything, I learned that the hard way.

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new Mini user after 2 years on a Samsung, so no direct comparison. But this is a rant about the Android OS and Samsung particularly.

My experiences with Android systems in general versus iOS, tells me that Apple gets it and Android doesn't. Samsung would not update my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus to Jelly Bean. It's not yet 2 years old and there's been talk, but zip from Samsung.

Thus I suspect that the constant updates to assorted apps caused potential incompatibilities between software designed to work on a newer OS.

Google Maps crashed every time it launched the keyboard to do a search. As well, the Adobe Over-Drive console app that allows me to download and read books from my library would dump the books. With Maps, resorting to the stock Samsung keyboard did not solve the problem. Doing a backup to Kies - the on PC app designed to allow the tablet to backup, update, etc... which itself is the worst POS software I have ever installed on a computer, allowed a backup. I then reset the device to factory and the backup did not work. Thus I had to download and re-install every app (good thing I made a list). Then Chrome would not sync. It could not log-in to the Google server to find my bookmarks. Dump the app and re-download and install and zip, no go. Chrome will not see my bookmarks that is on my iPhone and 3 other PC's.

At this point (Thurs night) I get an e-mail from my local MicroCenter store that they are selling the older Mini for$279, with open box at $239. They don't have the open box so sell me the new for $239. OH, OK, no big deal. I connect to iTunes it ports over all my iPhone apps, I add a few others and update to iOS7. About an hour. All works, nothing crashes.

Apple "gets it". Never going back to Android.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
You don't have that issue if you stick with the Nexus line. I'm actually quite the Samsung fanboy but the fact that they use someone else's OS and don't keep their devices updated is very frustrating. Apple does a better job of keeping their old devices in the game for sure.

Software incompatibility is also a big issue with so many people on so many different iterations of the OS. Maybe an app will work, maybe it won't. Often you'll be past the refund point before you ascertain the app isn't going to work on your device.

Pardon my language but f that. I love my N7 but I totally get why people would pay more for iPad and not have to deal with some of the crap that comes with Android (OTOH Android does some stuff I love vs. iOS so def figure out your priorities)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You don't have that issue if you stick with the Nexus line. I'm actually quite the Samsung fanboy but the fact that they use someone else's OS and don't keep their devices updated is very frustrating. Apple does a better job of keeping their old devices in the game for sure.

Software incompatibility is also a big issue with so many people on so many different iterations of the OS. Maybe an app will work, maybe it won't. Often you'll be past the refund point before you ascertain the app isn't going to work on your device.

Pardon my language but f that. I love my N7 but I totally get why people would pay more for iPad and not have to deal with some of the crap that comes with Android (OTOH Android does some stuff I love vs. iOS so def figure out your priorities)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Totally agree with you and found that there are aspects to the Android OS allows which can be very useful, but if I hadn't found the iPad at that price probably would have gotten a Nexus, which was $229 at MicroCenter. But while I liked the Galaxy, the fragmentation of the Android system makes for a very frustrating experience and Samsung is just awful at support and it does not help that they are producing a gazillion different models every year. That just leaves the older users in the dust in terms of support long term. And while I use and generally like certain Google products, Chrome, Calender, Mail, Drive, etc... they have NO tech support as in - there's nobody to call when you have a problem, just a users forum and that doesn't cut it. Not sure if that's the case with their hardware, I sure hope it's better.

Roadman64

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My first post/reply here at imore so Hello all! I am currently gong through this issue. I had recently sold my iPad 4 due to lack of storage and was able to pick up a 32gb Nexus 7 (2013) and pocket the extra cash. Not only did I need the additional storage but I wanted the smaller form factor. Well after 13 days with the Nexus 7, I returned it. I was lacking a few apps that I really enjoyed plus the screen while bright and clear was just not working for me in the portrait style. During that almost two week period I also experienced Wi-Fi connection issues at home (yes I had updated to Kit-Kat). Now I am waiting for my refurbished iPad Mini 32gb to arrive. I will have the storage I need, the apps I want and the form factor with a little extra screen width.

Last edited:

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My first post/reply here at imore so Hello all! I am currently gong through this issue. I had recently sold my iPad 4 due to lack of storage and was able to pick up a 32gb Nexus 7 (2013) and pocket the extra cash. Not only did I need the additional storage but I wanted the smaller form factor. Well after 13 days with the Nexus 7, I returned it. I was lacking a few apps that I really enjoyed plus the screen while bright and clear was just not working for me in the portrait style. During that almost two week period I also experienced Wi-Fi connection issues at home (yes I had updated to Kit-Kat). Now I am waiting for my refurbished iPad Mini 32gb to arrive. I will have the storage I need, the apps I want and the form factor with a little extra screen width.

Welcome to imore Roadman! Oh you're going to love the iPad mini. I use my iPad mini in the portrait orientation the majority of the time.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I only keep my Nexus 7 around because I can still run flash on it and visit a few sites that still require flash.

I bought my Nexus 7 last February and bought my Mini in June. If I had bought the Mini first, I would never have bought the Nexus 7. When tax time gets here, I will be getting a retina Mini. My Mini and Nexus 7 are both cellular models that I use on T-Mobile.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm becoming a bit of a gadget guy and currently have an iPad air (along with my iPhone), but I've been considering purchasing a Nexus 7 due to my interest in Google's ecosystem. I don't know if I'll actually go ahead and DO it, but I've at least given it more thought. We'll see. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2