Should I buy an iPad Mini Now or Wait For The iPad Mini 2 ?

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
These rumors keep going back and forth depending on which ones you follow. I read something the other day that said Apple changed who was making the display and they were on track for a Mini 2 with retina display this Fall or late winter. I'm in no hurry either way as any delay will give me a chance to check out the iPad 5.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

I ended up biting the bullet and buying a 32 GB iPad Mini. I really got to say, it's a very impressive device so far, everything runs smooth even with all my apps and media loaded. It's great knowing iOS 7 is coming to the iPad Mini as well.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I ended up biting the bullet and buying a 32 GB iPad Mini. I really got to say, it's a very impressive device so far, everything runs smooth even with all my apps and media loaded. It's great knowing iOS 7 is coming to the iPad Mini as well.

Great choice! Good luck with your new iPad Mini. :)

Donnee

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on whether the current generation does what you need it to, and whether you're the type of person who has to have the latest shiny thing.

Trouble is there will always be something newer, faster, bigger battery etc in x months time if you wait. The one saving grace these days is that in spite of the spec wars, most devices can do most things pretty easily. Looking back over apples lineup their product lifespans are pretty impressive, and just because something is 6 months old doesn't mean it'll explode on the day the new one gets released

It's all about personal preference. I'm in the same boat with phones at the moment. I've got a blackberry now and have decided to wait for the 5s rather than getting a 5 now, but the main reason there is because I'll be tied to a 2 year contract. Assuming you get the mini as a one off purchase there's nothing to stop you selling it when the new one arrives if you decide it's worth the upgrade

rjkgr

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
iPad mini right now is really good, i like the way its so small and what can the iPad 2 have to be that much better to wait

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
At this point wait. In two weeks we will see what the new one has to offer and if its not a major upgrade from the 1 then get the first gen which will then be cheaper

Celandine

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like no Mini 2. Unless I'm mistaken and more new devices will be out later, after the iPhone 5s/5c launch, and much closer to the holidays...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks like no Mini 2. Unless I'm mistaken and more new devices will be out later, after the iPhone 5s/5c launch, and much closer to the holidays...

Today's Apple announcement was only for the new iPhones. I believe Apple will have a separate announcement for the new iPads some time in October, in time for the holiday season.

Celandine

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Today's Apple announcement was only for the new iPhones. I believe Apple will have a separate announcement for the new iPads some time in October, in time for the holiday season.

Ah, yes. Sorry. After I posted this I googled the question and came up with a similar answer. October seems to be the month for the new iPads.

I guess it's easy to spot the noobs amongst the crowd. ;-)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah, yes. Sorry. After I posted this I googled the question and came up with a similar answer. October seems to be the month for the new iPads.

I guess it's easy to spot the noobs amongst the crowd. ;-)
Hey, no worries there. Everyone on here was a noob at one point. Welcome to iMore, btw. Hope you enjoy the community. :)

Celandine

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Switching from Android to Apple is a whole new experience and I'm quite enjoying it here. Also, looking forward to (hopefully!) ordering the 5s on the 20th from my carrier for in-store pick-up. My first iPhone! :)

ZanKuvy

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
The last rumor I heard about the iPad mini with retina display is that they were having some sort of problems adjusting the screen, ever since then there hasn't been any hints that point towards a soon release of the next iPad mini. I own a mini and I can't find a single bad thing about it and use it for pretty much everything since its so light and easy to carry. It's the best way to get what iOS has to offer, you get a big enough screen considering the 4" display on the iPhone and I make emphasis on how lightweight it is compared to the bigger iPad. Besides, it's the cheapest way to get your hands on an apple product, I couldn't wait and got a 16 GB model and haven't regret it so far.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Having had an ipad mini I can say the retina display isn't a critical need for the tablet, a boost in processor, battery size (life) are a bigger benefit on a smaller screened device. I found it the right size to have on hand and use.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Having had an ipad mini I can say the retina display isn't a critical need for the tablet, a boost in processor, battery size (life) are a bigger benefit on a smaller screened device. I found it the right size to have on hand and use.

Had a mini myself, and while the retina display isn't a dealbreaker for me...it's keeping me from buying a new one over waiting for the October or so iPadMini2 release. For reading purposes, the retina display is 100% clearer and easier on the eyes. If the iPadMini2 has retina, an iPad4 processor and a tad better battery life I'll be the first in line to snag one!

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm contemplating purchasing a second iPad for use strictly as a digital photo frame. I'm currently using an HP TouchPad as a frame. I'm undecided on if I should go for the mini or the full fledged sized iPad. I'd opt for the 16GB version since all I'd put on it are photos.

Thoughts?

swampbaby

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I looked on Apple's website and the 16GB refurbished mini would be cheaper. I'm wondering if it'd even be a wise idea to use the mini for strictly a digital frame, due to the size would the quality of the pictures be any different than if they were on a full fledged iPad? I know the mini and the iPad 2's don't have the retina display so that'll effect picture quality but I'm ok with this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR