Are you happy with the screen?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I really like my ipad minis form factor and weight. I do think the 7.9 inch size is better for most things compared to the 10 inch iPads, however I do like the bigger form factor for things like comic reading and movies.

However, I'm really jealous of the retina display and performance of the ipad 4. While the ipad mini screen isn't terrible, it really isn't up to par with today's standards I think. And with talks that getting a retina into the mini is such a hard thing to do and possibly at least a year off, I'm really debating if I should have gotten a ipad 4 or upgrade to a ipad 5 when that hits.

Do you guys have laments about not going wi the retina display on the ipad 4? Does the smaller size of the mini make up for its screen quality and slightly less performance?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 and not a Mini, yet, but my focus is briefly on retina vs non-retina. I did not purchase my iPad because it did not have a retina display like my then-iPhone 4S. I wanted a larger mobile device that I could use that basically mimics my iPhone. That was two years ago, and although there are retina display versions of the iPad, I have no need for them or even a want for them, to be quite honest. Why? My iPad 2 still does what I want & need it to do and its non-retina display is still top tier and pleasant to my eyes. To > me <, the retina display is an added luxury and nothing more.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
My wife has an iPad 3 and a 2 provided by her school. I like the 3 better, but I could live without it. Since I don't have any right now I would probably buy the 4 and give it to my wife and take her 3. Mainly because of the chargers( she has a iPhone 5 and I have a 4) the 3 would be all I would need for a long time. The mini with what little time I have spent with it on displays and such looks fine to me. I just haven't looked super close to the display like I have the others. I do like the minis size and price over the full size as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 and not a Mini, yet, but my focus is briefly on retina vs non-retina. I did not purchase my iPad because it did not have a retina display like my then-iPhone 4S. I wanted a larger mobile device that I could use that basically mimics my iPhone. That was two years ago, and although there are retina display versions of the iPad, I have no need for them or even a want for them, to be quite honest. Why? My iPad 2 still does what I want & need it to do and its non-retina display is still top tier and pleasant to my eyes. To > me <, the retina display is an added luxury and nothing more.

My sentiments exactly JMD.

Good Luck

brad4560

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I am very happy with the screen. I feel it is perfect for what I use it for, a companion to my iphone 4s. The text everywhere is just right. I am reading "Cronkite" right now and I love the fact I can read it with ease. The retina display everyone is raving about I am sure is gorgeous, but nothing I have to have in a tablet right now.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Completely happy with the screen on the Mini. Only thing that makes me a bit crazy is when I need to X2 an iPhone app. The X2 on the retina iPad4 is so much nicer.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
There's only two times that I even notice at all that my iPad mini isn't retina display.

The first is when I'm viewing microscopic text. Then it's quite obvious that it's not retina display but 99.9% of the time I'm not reading small text anyway. Even the text in iBooks is big enough that I barely even notice it is not retina display.

The other time that I notice that it's not retina display is when I'm actively focusing on just how the display looks. When I'm actually using the device as it was meant to be used such as browsing the web or playing a game etc. etc. etc. I don't even notice whatsoever that it isn't retina display. Only when I consciously try and focus on the actual crispness of the display do I notice it's actually not retina.

And in my own opinion the form factor is 100 times better than my fianc?'s iPad 4.

So all in all even though the iPad mini screen is non-retina I still think it's ******* gorgeous. Anyone who says that the iPad mini's display sucks or is like sandpaper on your eyes are just spoiled from the use of a retina display and for some reason will take nothing less.

bermie2000

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I am happy with it. Before purchasing, I went to the Apple store and compared the same stock pictures on an iPad with "retina" display and the iPad mini side by side. Only when I did a ridiculous amount of zooming were there noticeable differences. For what I'm using it for, day to day, the screen is more than adequate. If anything, I actually have a matte screen protector on it (to avoid fingerprints and glare), which slightly "dulls" the screen, and the display is still beautiful.

amylyn1970

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I am very happy with the screen. I feel it is perfect for what I use it for, a companion to my iphone 4s. The text everywhere is just right. I am reading "Cronkite" right now and I love the fact I can read it with ease. The retina display everyone is raving about I am sure is gorgeous, but nothing I have to have in a tablet right now.

I totally agree. I'm perfectly fine not having a retina display. I previously had the iPad 2 & didn't use it half as much as I do my mini because it was just too big & bulky to take everywhere. I love my mini!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Not happy with the screen. You just learn to tolerate it though. The form factor is so much better.

I agree with you about tolerating it. I'm not so happy with the non retina display either, but I've learned to tolerate it due to the small form factor.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

TRoss

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried both a mini and a 4 for two weeks before settling on the mini. I now also have an iPhone 5 and instill cannot bring myself to notice any problems with the screen. The only thing that ever distracts me from focusing on what I'm using it for is the occasional thought about how impossibly light and comfortable to use it is. If they could do a retina display without adding weight or thickness or hurting battery life or processor performance, then I think it would be worth it to add to the mini, but otherwise I would take the current combination of those things over more pixels.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I guess I'm not spoiled by a retina display, but I love the display on my mini. It is sharp and clear. The size is perfect. Here is the funny thing. When I owned a full sized ipad 1 and a playbook I found I used the playbook MUCH more and neglected the ipad, but now that I got the mini, my poor playbook is gathering dust! I found that it's the 7 inch form factor that really works for me. I have also had and loved many Android 7 inch tablets too, most notably (my faves), the Galaxy Tab 7 and Nexus 7.

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Full size Retina here. Side by side I noticed and went for the iPad 4Gen last fall. Bigger size works well for my type of operations through out the day.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have an iPad 3. Had an original iPad before that. Having tried out a mini for a brief period, I can say for me, lack of Retina was very noticeable and a deal-breaker, so I've stuck with my iPad 3. If I went from the original iPad to the mini, I'd be fine with it - as I remember being wowed at the time, of how great the original's screen looked. And the mini's resolution is actually slightly better than the original iPad's. But going from the iPad 3 to the mini is impossible for me. The screen looks absolutely awful to me after being so used to Retina.

CSI Guy

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Mini when it came out and due to my vision problems, the screen wasn't sharp enough for me. I took it back and am waiting for the Retina 4G version. Loved the Mini other than the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice