Retina iPad mini, or faster iPad mini?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
If Apple has to choose between a Retina iPad mini that has the same or slightly lower performance (like iPad 3 compared to iPad 2), or much faster, better performing non-Retina iPad mini (like iPad 2 compared to iPad 1 - more RAM, faster chip), which would you rather they choose?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd go for performance any day. Maybe its just me but the ipad mini screen isn't bad I mean its not the best but if I had to choose it would definitely be performance. Nothing worse than a slow/laggy tablet because the processor has trouble pushing all the pixels

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple never advertises RAM. A faster processor would be ok but it wouldn't give incentive to ordinary people to upgrade (like iPad 3 to iPad 4). Only Apple fans or 1/2 gen owners would consider. Retina display has to be a must.

Yes but most people have no idea regardless and would see the ipad mini 2 and say well it is newer so has to be better

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well more ram and a faster processor alone would be a worthy upgrade in itself I mean no different than iPad to iPad 2

In theory if Apple came out with a retina iPad mini they would HAVE to increase the actual RAM and GPU in order to operate seamlessly....

RaiderWill

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally.. I know they have to upgrade "Something" for the fall of 2013.. But I feel the Mini is fine just as it is.. The only upgrade I felt was Mandatory for me was returning my 16gb and upgrading to a 64gb for the double density memory chips used in the 64gb and the comfort of having enough space for all my movies and games.. I think the iOS 7 operating platform should be the biggest priority for Apple.. over the 5th-Gen or the Mini 2nd-Gen Spec Sheet.. But to give my opinion in answer to your question,

You Will Not Have One Without The Other.

1600*1200 (4:3) would be the Retina Resolution the Mini 2nd-Gen would have if the dimensions stayed the same as the 1st-Gen..
Just like the 3rd-Gen iPad needed a boost in performance over the 2nd-Gen to push Retina Level Pixels, The Processing Power needed to push Retina Level Pixels to the Mini 2nd-Gen would be needed as well

You have to upgrade the Display, GPu AND Battery to turn the Mini into a Retina Device...

Would it still be a Mini? or Something a little different ( Thicker & Heavier ) than the current device ?

The real question should be.. "Are you willing to trade what makes the Mini 1st-Gen an incredible device for a Heavier, Plumper Mini ( Bigger Battery ) with a Retina Display?

And then there is the 5th-Gen ( You know will be lighter) iPad.. A Heavier Retina Mini is getting really close to a Re-Designed Lighter 5th-Gen iPad.. :)

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Faster iPad mini, no question. The resolution isn't worth it if it's heavier, thicker, runs hotter or suffers in performance.

That is why it has to be both. I don't like the screen on the mini, it needs to be higher res, so they will have to get it some bump in specs, which they should anyways.

The ipad mini is using what 1 1/2 to 2 year old technology.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I would rather have it faster easily. In order to make it retina it'd have to be thicker, and heavier and then it totally defeats the purpose of an iPad mini at all.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think they could increase the resolution without going retina to keep it the same size while adding more ram and a better processor to speed things up. I dont think the screen is that bad, but the slow performance is what annoyed me

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd be ok with a retina iPad mini with iPad 3 type performance. Most of my mobile devices have high PPI screens, it's become the norm for my eyes now :)