Overkill?

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So I decided on the iPad Mini over the iPad 4 due to the size and how light it is and I feel that the A5 processor is still more than capable to last me a few years. However, I was wondering if using a screen protector and a smart cover would be overkill. I really only want the smart cover as a stand. I know that the smart covers are suppose to act as sort of a screen protector as well but when I have the iPad open and I'm typing or playing a game, that won't protect the screen. I know some of you will say that screen protectors are a waste but I get nervous having my screens not protected. Do any of you have both a screen protector and smart cover already on your current iPads? If so, does it cause any problems?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That combo didn't cause me any problems with my iPad 2 but the screen protector interfered with my stylus.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a case or a screen cover on my iPad 2. Only the Smart Cover. I also use a stylus and a Bluetooth keyboard with it. Heck, I don't even have a screen protector on my iPhone. :)

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So I decided on the iPad Mini over the iPad 4 due to the size and how light it is and I feel that the A5 processor is still more than capable to last me a few years. However, I was wondering if using a screen protector and a smart cover would be overkill. I really only want the smart cover as a stand. I know that the smart covers are suppose to act as sort of a screen protector as well but when I have the iPad open and I'm typing or playing a game, that won't protect the screen. I know some of you will say that screen protectors are a waste but I get nervous having my screens not protected. Do any of you have both a screen protector and smart cover already on your current iPads? If so, does it cause any problems?

It's all about preference. I hve gone back & forth w- screen protectors then without on iPhones and iPads. Prefer them without- and both are naked right now. Have to say that when I had protector in iPad, I liked how easily I could wipe it off- definitely less finger-printy. They I had it replaced for problem, and never replaces protector. The brand you choose matters a much as anything- may be worth watching a few reviews to see which ones people like and why. Ultimately, either choice is perfectly reversible, so you really can't lose!

fordgirl14

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My iPad 3 is completely wrapped in Ghost Armor and in a full case. I take it everywhere with me. My iPad mini is staying in the box until I can get it fully protected. The aluminum back scares me that it will mark easily.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It's purely preference. I use the Glas.t on my iPhone, but nothing on my iPads. I am thinking of picking up the glas.t for the mini in a few weeks when they are out. Since the mini is more portable I might want to protect the screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh