kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the specs the mini doesn't appear to have onboard GPS, is that confirmed? It would make a nice car/boating naviagtion system.

Wifi ones do not have onboard GPS. As is the case with every iPad since the iPad1. Cellular ones will have GPS, because that's a part of the cellular radios.

If you have a wifi iPad now, or will get a wifi Mini... all you need is a bluetooth GPS puck, and you'll have all the functionality of a stand-alone GPSr as long as you have an app with full maps on the device.

Here's one: Bad Elf GPS Pro for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (High-performance Bluetooth WAAS GPS Receiver and Datalogger) - Bad Elf

anon(3399358)

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Buying an external GPS receiver kind of defeats the purpose of having a compact portable tablet. For the price a GPS chip could have been included, even the most basic (read cheap) Smartphone has GPS.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
the GPS receivers in phones are built in to the phone radio chipset... and the FCC requires GPS in phones. A stand alone GPSr in a wifi iPad would have design implications and cost factors. After all, one could not put a crap GPSr chipset into an iPad, and give end users crappy performance now could you?

Bottom line: it is what it is. Deal with it. But don't go out and buy a wifi iPad and kvetch about it not having a GPSr in it.

Shilohcane

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Shilohcane

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Do you get paid to pimp the Nexus 7 ?? Seems like that's all you do here - is talk about anything BUT iOS devices.

No I am retired computer programer and I have Apple iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Are you paid to pimp bluetooth GPS puck since I just gave out information the same as you did?.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No I am retired computer programer and I have Apple iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Are you paid to pimp bluetooth GPS puck since I just gave out information the same as you did?.

No... I'm just a satisfied customer of BadElf. Nothing more. Or less. Your entire posting history has been to promote the Nexus7 - it begged the question.

anon(3399358)

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a used Blackberry Playbook that I got off ebay for $90 that I currently use for offline mapping/navigation. I was hoping that the ipad mini would at least compete with the Playbook spec wise but it doesn't look like it. I'll take a look at the Nexus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73