When you upgrade your iPad Mini, will you buy another iPad Mini?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, particularly since you can now buy a 9.7" iPad for a lower price (even if only 32GB) than the Mini 4, when you upgrade, will you buy a Mini, an iPad, iPad Pro, or even something else? And why do you think you'll buy that iPad?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Good point the new iPad 9.7 IS a great value, BUT I think it comes down to size. Some people just prefer the 7 inch form factor. My Dad for example the mini is perfect. He uses it as a book reader and for light web browsing and LOVES the size. It makes web pages JUST large enough for his 70 something eyes, that just ain't the same on his phone. (He has my old BB Priv) He also REALLY loves his Kindle too, sometimes he just likes the simplicity of it AND the amazing quality of the "digital ink" Plus it doesn't hurt that he can forget to charge it for weeks, which he often does! lol Again he loves that perfect "book" 7 inch size.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I recently went through this very question. I had a mini 2 that I wanted to upgrade, and had narrowed it down to the mini 4 and the 2017 iPad. It all came down to a matter of the combination of size, portability, and utility.

7" class tablets were great when I had BlackBerries with 2'8" screens and physical keyboards and sub 5" touchscreens. As my phones grew in size (my last few have been 5" or more), I started finding that the shrinking difference in size between phone and tablet kind of defeated my original purpose of a tablet. Combine that with the fact that the 9'7" iPad had gotten physically smaller and lighter from the earlier design of the iPad 2/3/4, it made the most sense for me to get the standard sized iPad since it offers more "comfortable" browsing, media consumption, and occasional content creation, while only giving up a little in portability.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, particularly since you can now buy a 9.7" iPad for a lower price (even if only 32GB) than the Mini 4, when you upgrade, will you buy a Mini, an iPad, iPad Pro, or even something else? And why do you think you'll buy that iPad?
Definitely will be getting a 9.7" iPad for my next purchase. Not because of the price but just simply for screen size. The 7.9" is nice but it feels a little to close to smartphone size, especially when you look at the rumoured Galaxy Note 8 at 6.3" inch lol

The larger screen size will just make viewing content that much nicer. I know the PPI on the larger models is lower but it's still really sharp. It's definitely going to be a tough decision between the iPad Pro and 'standard' iPad. Will have to see how many extra toys Apple puts inside and see if the extra price is worth it :)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I love my iPad Mini 4, but when I work on documents, I sometimes wish I had the iPad Pro 9.7" because of the bigger screen size that is useful in viewing more information and when using Split View. The smart keyboard is also very convenient instead of using a bluetooth keyboard. If you do any kind of work, I recommend the 9.7" whether the iPad or iPad Pro. If it's mainly for media consumption, I think the iPad Mini 4 is just as good.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I tried replacing my bought-used mini 4 WiFi with a 9.7" iPad Pro w/cell, 'cause I needed cellular and figured I'd future proof for a while. Great tablet, loved the True Tone, but it's not a substitute for the wonderfulness of an iPad mini. I returned it and got a brand new mini 4 WiFi + Cellular instead. Perfection!

I hope Apple comes out with a refreshed model. I'd hate to be forced into using a larger, heavier iPad when my mini gets too old to serve its purpose.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Apple is really making a mistake not making an iPad Mini Pro. It is the perfect size for a moleskin/journal replacement - fits in anything, weighs nothing, much better than any size phone screen. My thinking is that its sales numbers are dwindling not from pressure from the iPhone Plus from below, but the refusal to update and keep it refreshed. What would it have hurt Apple to throw in the the A9x processor when it went to a single 128gb SKU?

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I agree. A new Mini 5 should basically be an iPhone 6s with an 8" screen. Or even an iPhone 7, but then the price would go way up.

However, the existing Mini 4 is still quite nice. I just picked one up from eBay, with a great deal from Best Buy. Under $300 - including tax and free shipping - for an "open box" but otherwise brand new 128GB model. Probably a store demo unit, but no scratches/dings at all.

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I liked my Mini okay while I had it, but upgraded to the newest 9.7-inch iPad. I use it a lot more than I did the Mini because of the size. As a result, my laptop rarely ever gets used, except by the kids, anymore.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was faced with this very situation recently. As much as I loved the form factor of the Mini series, I couldn't bring myself to pay pretty much the same price for a (2015) Mini 4 as for a later model iPad. I ended up going with the full size 2017 iPad.

I wish that Apple would produce an iPad Mini Pro. I'd send them a blank check for that beast!

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
There isn’t a better iPad mini available to upgrade to and I already have an iPad Pro. I like to keep the mini for travelling and the Pro for home.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Mini 2 and am getting very antsy to do an upgraded iPad! I currently have an XS Max iPhone and cannot go back to the home button and thicker bezels so I may just go with the 11" iPad. It going be the same cost as my XS Max which is going be around $1,300! Seems like a lot but remember you going use it for 5-6 years or more so it basically, $200 a year as a yearly cost! 256GB will future proof the storage for me like that of the XS Max!

Still thinking about it!

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Mini 2 and am getting very antsy to do an upgraded iPad! I currently have an XS Max iPhone and cannot go back to the home button and thicker bezels so I may just go with the 11" iPad. It going be the same cost as my XS Max which is going be around $1,300! Seems like a lot but remember you going use it for 5-6 years or more so it basically, $200 a year as a yearly cost! 256GB will future proof the storage for me like that of the XS Max!

Still thinking about it!

Purchase a brand new Mini 4!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR