iPad mini 4 or new iPad 9.7?

josch517

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Will be used for web browsing, reading, and streaming movies (all these done usually while lying in bed). I currently use the iPad mini (original) and need to upgrade. I love the size of the mini but just wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not getting the new iPad.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Back when the original Mini came out it was a big difference in weight. Now you get the larger size for the same weight plus retina screen and much better processor. I just updated to the Air 2 from the first gen Mini and it's a huge difference.

anon(10004440)

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I don't think you would be missing out based on what you say you use it for by sticking with the Mini line. You might like web browsing and watching movies better on the larger screen of the iPad 9.7. Depending on what you like to read they are both well suited I think.

I'm thinking of upgrading my wife to the Mini4 from her Mini2 this year just to get her on newer hardware in case it does get discontinued. She really likes the Mini size because it fits in her purse well and she carries it everywhere she goes.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It really is going to be personal preference. The new iPad is going to be somewhat faster, with the A9 chip, and there is a bigger difference in the screen size than saying 9.7" vs. 7.9." Of course, with the larger screen size, there is also the difference in tablet size.

My suggestion would be, if you have an Apple Store or Best Buy nearby, go in and compare the two side by side. Try to get a feel of what holding the larger iPad is like and see the difference in screen size. Then buy the one that you feel will fit you the best.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Just as others have already stated it's largely a matter of personal preference. Both devices should suit your needs. That being said, The new iPad will probably be supported for longer than the Mini 4 on account of it being a newer device. Plus the new iPad has a better processor. It may not make a difference today but it will down the line.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I was just wrangling with the same decision myself, for an upgrade from my iPad 3rd gen, which is almost useless for web browsing right now. I decided on a Mini 4 over the new iPad for these few major reasons:

1. The laminated and glare resistant display of the Mini 4 that's missing on the new iPad
2. The size of the Mini - it's easier to use as a travel iPad, which is the the main function of the iPad.
3. The performance is a bit worse, but it's like comparing the iPhone 6 to the iPhone 6s. I think I can get by with this for the way that I use an iPad. The iPad 3G is good enough for most of my iPad use - it's really only Safari that has become unusable.

The thing I'm going to miss is the size of the display when streaming video, but I really only ever do that on the plane when I'm traveling, and I think the Mini is a decent enough size for that.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Based on your needs, I think the iPad Mini 4 won't disappoint. I currently own an iPad Mini 4 myself and I love using it. I use it mainly for browsing, reading, watching videos on YouTube and Netflix and the experience is great!

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Mini 2 and am getting very antsy to do an upgraded iPad! I currently have an XS Max iPhone and cannot go back to the home button and thicker bezels so I may just go with the 11" iPad. It going be the same cost as my XS Max which is going be around $1,300! Seems like a lot but remember you going use it for 5-6 years or more so it basically, $200 a year as a yearly cost! 256GB will future proof the storage for me like that of the XS Max!

Still thinking about it!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a Mini 2 and am getting very antsy to do an upgraded iPad! I currently have an XS Max iPhone and cannot go back to the home button and thicker bezels so I may just go with the 11" iPad. It going be the same cost as my XS Max which is going be around $1,300! Seems like a lot but remember you going use it for 5-6 years or more so it basically, $200 a year as a yearly cost! 256GB will future proof the storage for me like that of the XS Max!

Still thinking about it!

My personal thought, go with the "normal" iPad, not the Pro. It should still be a solid upgrade from your Mini 2, and even if you replace it in 2.5-3 years, having 2 "cheap" iPads over 5-6 years is still half the cost of buying the Pro model. I guess it just depends if the difference of TouchID vs. FaceID is worth roughly $100 a year.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, I purchase a brand new space gray Mini 4! Got it at the Apple Store for $399.99. It is slightly faster then my Mini 2 as well as a little thinner and lighter too! Pass on the LTE option this time around. Will try to replace my Mini 2 battery and then I will have the Mini 2 for travel and Mini 4 for home use.

mpbarker

Dec 7, 2018
Visit site
I purchased an iPad mini 4 for $250 in Black Friday. Good deal or should I return it? Love the size but a little concerned about the age of the hardware. I have a mini 3 now.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If you are happy with it, I'd keep the Mini 4. It seems to me that Apple products tend to hold up well over time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an iPad mini 4 for $250 in Black Friday. Good deal or should I return it? Love the size but a little concerned about the age of the hardware. I have a mini 3 now.

Well, you should know that there are rumors that there will be a new Mini in 2019, maybe in the spring. The Mini 4 is basically the same processor as an iPhone 6; maybe one or two more iOS updates?

Rumors aren’t always true, and are frequently wrong, but if there’s a chance you’d be disappointed with the 4 if a new mini comes out...