The use of iPad mini4 as phone?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
As phone?

iPads don't have Phone app, just so you're aware. If you're okay with using FaceTime audio, or another voice calling app, just keep in mind you'll be using data.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: As phone?

I've used it for Google Hangouts voice calls, which can be tied to a phone number and called or texted from phones.

As noted, it uses wifi or data. Same as for any other VOIP app.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: As phone?

iPads don't have Phone app, just so you're aware. If you're okay with using FaceTime audio, or another voice calling app, just keep in mind you'll be using data.

T-Mobile and Sprint supposedly offer Wi-Fi calling, but I'm not sure if it works the same as AT&T.

At least on AT&T, if you have an iPhone and an iPad on iOS 9.2, you can set up Wi-Fi calling on your phone and send/place/receive calls and texts. Whether your phone is on or off, your iPad will get all your calls and you can place calls using your AT&T phone number. For texts, your phone has to be connected to AT&T's network and must have a data connection (Wi-Fi or cellular).

I thought that was pretty awesome. I just got a cellular iPad Air 2 for $99, so I gave my old Wi-Fi iPad Air 2 to my dad. After setting it all up, he gets all his calls and texts on his iPad as well as his phone. The phone calls just go through the FaceTime app.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73