Why is my iPad Mini 4 asking for a passcode?

I

iMore Question

apple mini 4 asking for a passcode. I did not have a numerical passcode, just the thumbprint and now it is not recognizing it. It is locking me out...help! This device is only a week old. My issue is I'm not used to the ipad vs. Dell computers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You should have been prompted to enter a lock screen passcode prior to enabling TouchID. That passcode is a fallback in case you experience issues your fingerprint. Anyway, you are going to have to restore your device via iTunes on your computer, if it allows it. It may ask for the lock screen passcode prior to restoring.

Last edited:

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: apple mini 4 asking for a passcode.

apple mini 4 asking for a passcode. I did not have a numerical passcode, just the thumbprint and now it is not recognizing it. It is locking me out...help! This device is only a week old. My issue is I'm not used to the ipad vs. Dell computers.

I have not seen a poster with a stolen iDevice use the "thumbprint but no passcode" before so I will give you some credit for being original. But as other posters have pointed out, there is no way to set up a thumbprint without a passcode so your question is built upon a big lie. Here is my suggestion, take the iPad Mini back to the person you stole it from. It you are not the thief, take it back to the person you bought it from and see if you can get your money back.

OldPuppy1

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

You don't know me...I'm someone's Grandma that has never operated or owned anything Apple before. I did not...repeat did not steal this mini4. I paid over $400 for the thing. I probably have CRS, but I did not steal the darn thing. Was just needing some help since things don't come with user manuals that are hard copy anymore. I did not need your degrogatory smart insulting remarks, but thank you anyway.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

You don't know me...I'm someone's Grandma that has never operated or owned anything Apple before. I did not...repeat did not steal this mini4. I paid over $400 for the thing. I probably have CRS, but I did not steal the darn thing. Was just needing some help since things don't come with user manuals that are hard copy anymore. I did not need your degrogatory smart insulting remarks, but thank you anyway.

Did you read the previous posts? Setting up a thumb print requires a passcode. This fact makes your original story bogus.

You're right, I don't know you. For the record, I am someone's (actually 10 someones) grandfather and I'm not buying your story at all. If you truly are someone's grandma then stop using your age as justification for your ignorance and dishonesty. You make the rest of us senior citizens look bad. If, as I suspect, you are using the lie of being a grandma in an attempt to cover up for your previous lie about your device, please stop now and go away.

Gramma2five

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
My sister is currently having the same issue and she is not a thief. She recently purchased a refurbished iPad mini 4 online from Cowboom. During the initial setup, it gave her the option of using just the thumbprint OR a passcode OR both. She selected the thumbprint only. She has had this iPad mini 4 for a week and has used it every day with no issues, until today, when it suddenly says a passcode is required every 48 hours. I was with her when she got it and throughout the setup and she read everything the setup screen said, step by step. I'm telling you that to say I know, for a fact, that one of the options was thumbprint (or fingerprint) ONLY. So, it IS possible to not have put in a passcode and, later, to be asked for a passcode, because it is exactly what my sister is going through right now.

Maybe you'd like to think twice before making assumptions and being so rude.

coldRooster

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My sister is currently having the same issue and she is not a thief. She recently purchased a refurbished iPad mini 4 online from Cowboom. During the initial setup, it gave her the option of using just the thumbprint OR a passcode OR both. She selected the thumbprint only. She has had this iPad mini 4 for a week and has used it every day with no issues, until today, when it suddenly says a passcode is required every 48 hours. I was with her when she got it and throughout the setup and she read everything the setup screen said, step by step. I'm telling you that to say I know, for a fact, that one of the options was thumbprint (or fingerprint) ONLY. So, it IS possible to not have put in a passcode and, later, to be asked for a passcode, because it is exactly what my sister is going through right now.

Maybe you'd like to think twice before making assumptions and being so rude.

In order to set up the thumbprint Apple REQUIRES you have a backup passcode. So she would have made one. You probably weren't paying close enough attention.

carolyn50

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site

Are you mad accusing someone you dont know of stealing this item? I am 54 and my ipad randomly has just asked me for a passcode. I don't have one nor never had one and wasted last 3 days trying and failing to sort this out.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Are you mad accusing someone you dont know of stealing this item? I am 54 and my ipad randomly has just asked me for a passcode. I don't have one nor never had one and wasted last 3 days trying and failing to sort this out.

You're replying to a post from October.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread but it's at the top now. Here's Apple's support page, which states:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201371

Screenshot 2016-01-22 14.56.22.png

When setting this up in the device, as many have stated, it will need a passcode first (most likely a 4 digit, but this can be changed to more digits or an actual password) I've had it happen a few times when the fingerprint doesn't recognize, it asks for the passcode instead. This is mostly due to something on my hands :)

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I am very puzzled by this (old) thread. To use TouchID you have to set a passcode first, so I can't understand how people are reporting they don't have one set up.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice