Is the iPad Mini failing?

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I was actually a little bit excited to hear some possible news about the iPad Mini today at the keynote and was disappointed again that the only words we got about it were "We matched it to the other iPad."

I mean, maybe I'm spoiled and want the next thing I buy to have a little fanfaire, but is the iPad Mini becoming the new punchline at the end of a segment? Is it just not selling enough units to justify giving it a little more spotlight?

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
And this is the only new thread, too?

Whatever. I'm getting one.

I have had an Air for two years, want to upgrade, wanted to upgrade to gold and 2GB of RAM, but wanted the Mini form factor.

So this is the iPad for me -- mini, 128 GB, cell antenna.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

22dasher

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
It's really disappointing. The mini 4 comes with last years hardware, it's like it's the step child of apples iPads. I was so ready to ditch my iPad for a mini just for the compactness and weight factor but not at the cost of specs that's a year old and outdated.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Speaking only for myself, I don't think the mini is failing. After switching back and forth between the two sizes, my opinion is that the mini is the perfect size. Looking forward to replacing my Air with one of these.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
And this is the only new thread, too?

Whatever. I'm getting one.

I have had an Air for two years, want to upgrade, wanted to upgrade to gold and 2GB of RAM, but wanted the Mini form factor.

So this is the iPad for me -- mini, 128 GB, cell antenna.

Exactly my thoughts. I've been using an iPad Air for the past two years because the specs of the Mini 3 pretty much sucked bilge water. I miss the form factor of the Mini. And I have ZERO interest in a 13" iPad...

In fact, I ordered my Mini 4 already.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Exactly my thoughts. I've been using an iPad Air for the past two years because the specs of the Mini 3 pretty much sucked bilge water. I miss the form factor of the Mini. And I have ZERO interest in a 13" iPad...

I'm in a similar boat: I love the size of the Air 2, it's perfect for me, I have zero interest in the Pro since I tried the Samsung Note Pro: It's just too big for me. The mini is not for me either.
I was hoping for an Air 3: sized like an Air but with Pro goodies added.
Oh well, maybe next year: As long as IOS9 enables me to split my screen on my Air 2, I'm happy. That's a feature I've been missing.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

I put my order in this evening, too.

It'll be my first Mini.

Debating having this be my only upgrade this cycle after I saw the Canadian dollar prices for the new iPhones.

I'll have till Friday night to weigh that decision tho.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It's really disappointing. The mini 4 comes with last years hardware, it's like it's the step child of apples iPads. I was so ready to ditch my iPad for a mini just for the compactness and weight factor but not at the cost of specs that's a year old and outdated.

To be fair it's an upgrade either way. The mini 2-3 had an A7 chip and 1GB of ram . This now has the A8 and 2GB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm in a similar boat: I love the size of the Air 2, it's perfect for me, I have zero interest in the Pro since I tried the Samsung Note Pro: It's just too big for me. The mini is not for me either.
I was hoping for an Air 3: sized like an Air but with Pro goodies added.
Oh well, maybe next year: As long as IOS9 enables me to split my screen on my Air 2, I'm happy. That's a feature I've been missing.

It's great so far . I really haven't used it much but pretty much in the beta only Apple apps are supported which itself is pretty limited compared to the amount of apps I have in it. The video feature is cool but is also only limited to the Apple video player only but I assume when it's release for the public it will be for YouTube and more

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I put my order in this evening, too.

It'll be my first Mini.

Debating having this be my only upgrade this cycle after I saw the Canadian dollar prices for the new iPhones.

I'll have till Friday night to weigh that decision tho.

I'm considering selling my iPad Air 2 for the mini 4 because I like the smaller form factor for portability but the downside is I'll lose the productivity with the Air . Plus I'll have to lose memory since I probably not going to put much more money into it

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
The replies here make me feel more confident in the Mini as a separate device in the Apple lineup. I started feeling like the only one who still really loves the Mini form factor. I still can't justify getting the Mini 4 while my Mini 2 is still holding up so well, but when this minibeast finally dies, I hope the Mini line is still offered. It's by far my favorite device Apple has ever made.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I think there's a good chance the Mini line IS failing. But the Mini 4 means that at the very least there's a very good device to buy at the end of this form factor. 2 GB RAM, multitasking, etc.

I'm essentially making that upgrade. From Air specs to Air 2 specs, original Air to Mini 4.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it confirmed that it's 2GB RAM?

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

No, it isn't confirmed, and won't be until someone has one in hand to do tests on. Anandtech said it almost certainly is 2 GB because they're showing off multitasking, but Apple can, well, do what Apple does.

If it turns out only to be 1 GB of RAM, there'll be threads with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I was half of a mind to get a Mini 3, so that won't include me, but I won't be happy.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
No, it isn't confirmed, and won't be until someone has one in hand to do tests on. Anandtech said it almost certainly is 2 GB because they're showing off multitasking, but Apple can, well, do what Apple does.

If it turns out only to be 1 GB of RAM, there'll be threads with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I was half of a mind to get a Mini 3, so that won't include me, but I won't be happy.

Yeah, I've got a Mini 3. If there is 2GB RAM, I'll upgrade to the 4. This reloading issue, it's getting quite old...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I've got a Mini 3. If there is 2GB RAM, I'll upgrade to the 4. This reloading issue, it's getting quite old...

My iPad Air 2 feels like it was dropped into my hands out of heaven. Never ever a reloading issue and my apps stay consistently refreshing in the background like there's no tomorrow.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The iPad Mini is actually my favorite product in the entire Apple lineup. The only other Apple product I use is a Macbook Pro.

I have the 1st gen LTE model. It works perfectly, but it is somewhat sluggish. I hope to be able to upgrade to the Mini 4 soon, although I may settle for a used 2 or 3, as I cannot see my way clear to spend quite so much on a secondary device.

For those of you who have used the original Mini as well as the Mini 2 and/or Mini 3, is there a noticeable performance benefit in the new versions? I'm not impressed with the speed of my Mini. It is very stable and gets the job done, just not very quickly.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I love the form factor of my Mini 2. And Nexus 7. And PlayBook :)

I just miss not being able to use Split Screen (though I LOVE the Slide Over feature).

The Mini 4 still won't do Split Screen with iOS 9, correct?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The iPad Mini is actually my favorite product in the entire Apple lineup. The only other Apple product I use is a Macbook Pro.

I have the 1st gen LTE model. It works perfectly, but it is somewhat sluggish. I hope to be able to upgrade to the Mini 4 soon, although I may settle for a used 2 or 3, as I cannot see my way clear to spend quite so much on a secondary device.

For those of you who have used the original Mini as well as the Mini 2 and/or Mini 3, is there a noticeable performance benefit in the new versions? I'm not impressed with the speed of my Mini. It is very stable and gets the job done, just not very quickly.

Oh yes. I had the original mini and it was incredibly sluggish. I finally had to upgraded to the mini 3. I have no regrets but I'll definitely tell you that if the mini 4 has 2GB RAM, it's worth waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes. I had the original mini and it was incredibly sluggish. I finally had to upgraded to the mini 3. I have no regrets but I'll definitely tell you that if the mini 4 has 2GB RAM, it's worth waiting for.

Great, thanks for the info! I'm not looking to spend for a new device, but I was mainly questioning if upgrading to the Mini 2 or 3 would be worth it. I don't use it nearly as much as a phone, so I cannot really justify a new one. But any performance increase would be welcome.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR