Despite Groaning, Getting a iPad mini 3

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sigh. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of upgrades besides Touch ID for the iPad mini 3. I read all the sites that said it was a ripoff, and to not buy it. That it may not get iOS 10 or 11, etc. I get it. I have an iPad 3. It's been my workhorse since 2012. I LOVED the retina mini (now the mini 2), because it's the perfect size for what I do (read lots of books, web surfing, email). I'm not really a creative type, so I don't care about camera features, etc.

The one thing I was really hoping for was 802.11ac - I have the Time Capsule supporting it but with a 2011 MacBook Air, iPad 3 and iPhone 5s, and two 2008 iMacs, I don't have anything supporting it. I almost pulled the trigger on the iPad Air 2, but I really want the smaller form factor. The few tasks the larger screen has been essential for (magazines, comics), I don't do much of.

I can wait another cycle for 802.11ac, and other benefits. Almost seems a waste having this router with nothing that can take advantage of it! But I'm excited for the mini 3, and it will be my go to more than my Mac.

I went and ordered the 128GB cellular model - I'm pleased it'll have the Apple SIM too.

Anyone else struggling with this one?

Last edited:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm struggling with this decision because as much as I would love to have Touch ID, I'm not sure whether to grab the mini 2 or go for the mini 3

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The AC wifi to be honest doesn't really do a whole lot for me at least for iOS devices. I'd rather have it on apple tv or laptop. It's really all about touch id. You either want it for another 100 or you don't.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I'm struggling with this decision because as much as I would love to have Touch ID, I'm not sure whether to grab the mini 2 or go for the mini 3

If you get the cellular model, the mini 3 will have the Apple SIM - and the mini 2 still has the by-carrier SIM. Important if you want to switch carriers at will. If you care about gold, that's the only other reason. Otherwise, completely identical.

There are a couple other things that pushed me toward the mini 3 over the Air 2, also. I'm feeling pretty good about my choice, really. While it's true everything is smaller on the mini, the resolution on the mini has higher pixel density than the Air (326 ppi versus 264 ppi). Again, they're both retina and nice, but at times the density might actually help things look slightly sharper. The mini is lighter than the Air 2. I love the size of the mini for everything but reading PDFs, which I have a work-issued iPad for. Finally, I think the nice thing is the mini still has the silencing/screen lock switch. I always liked that and use it all the time on my iPad 3.

Ryan Estrada

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The A7 chip is still a great performing chip. However by the time Apple refreshes the mini with the specs you desire, your mini 3 will be a 2 year old chip with 3rd iOS update, which means you may end up dumping it and losing money on it. If I was you I would get the mini 2 32 GB model at Apple refurb store for $299. That way you are not so heavily invested as with 128GB mini 3 model.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I had the original mini and just bought the mini 3. It's because the Apple store no longer sells higher GB models of the mini 2. Ended up with a space gray 64GB. I'm pretty satisfied so far.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the original mini and just bought the mini 3. It's because the Apple store no longer sells higher GB models of the mini 2. Ended up with a space gray 64GB. I'm pretty satisfied so far.

Ok. So I have the original mini...and trying to decide between the air 2 and the mini 3. Decisions....decisions....decisions.

iPhone 6 sending this your way!

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok. So I have the original mini...and trying to decide between the air 2 and the mini 3. Decisions....decisions....decisions.

iPhone 6 sending this your way!

Ask yourself what size screen you want. I personally think the Air is just too big for me if I want to actually carry it around. The mini is perfect for me!

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I tend to agree that the screen size is the first factor. I had the original iPad Mini retina, and I loved its portability. I returned it, as I already had the iPad 3, and decided to wait until it got touch ID. now that I have it, I love the iPad mini 3, it's perfect for what I use it for. John Gruber put it well in his review, saying that the mini is a good consumption device, whereas the Air is more suited for work and productivity. However, I tend to do real work on my laptop or desktop, not tablet.

I was able to add one credit card onto the mini 3 with Apple Pay. Haven't had a need to use it yet, but look forward to seeing how easy it is to use for transactions.

Hamza Salau

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
refurb ipad mini 2 cellular (128gb) -$539
new ipad mini 3 cellular (128gb) - $729
with the extra $190 dollars:
get apple care+ ($100),
a high quality case from makers like jisoncase, spigen, apple etc - $50-70
the rest can go towards your first month's cellular data bill

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
refurb ipad mini 2 cellular (128gb) -$539
new ipad mini 3 cellular (128gb) - $729
with the extra $190 dollars:
get apple care+ ($100),
a high quality case from makers like jisoncase, spigen, apple etc - $50-70
the rest can go towards your first month's cellular data bill

Over time, now that I have two credit/debit cards loaded into Apple Pay, and the convenience of using Touch ID, will justify to me, the benefit of going with the mini 3.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal