Upgrading to a Mini?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Those with a iPad Mini currently, would you upgrade to the rumored newer Model, or would you now go with a iPad Air 2?

Reasons for switching and updating to the the rumored newer Model?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have a gen 1 Mini, but I now also have both the 6 and 6 Plus and the 6 Plus has been my goto device in the house. I am not sure if I will be upgrading the Mini or not. I think after the announcement tomorrow if there is some AMAZING new feature I might. But not likely.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I was in the market for a new iPad, I'd more than likely go with the iPad Air 2 at this point.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had 7" tablets before and didn't know what I was missing till I picked up my iPad 4. If I was to upgrade I would go with iPad air 2.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Not sure now, after seeing the keynote. The Mini won?t have 8.02.11.ac - it?s stuck at 8.02.11.n. It also has the A7 processor, not the A8X that is in the Air 2.

I?ll have to do more research, too, as Schiller just glossed over the Mini 3.

Last edited:

Maladroit23

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey John. I've had the iPad Mini for a few years now. I love its portability and typical Apple quality (fluidity, longevity, data-accessibility with the whole iCloud thing). But if I were to upgrade I'd go with the iPad Air 2 for the larger screen. My reason for going with the Mini before was because the iPad was too heavy for my taste. But the Air 2 looks as light as a feather.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Upon further review, it appears that the only changes to the Mini Retina are:

TouchID.
Color options.
Better pricing on the 64GB and 128GB models.

My bottom line: Pass.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yep, that's a disappointment. I think I'll keep my Air and put aside any thoughts to get a newer Mini. The Air 2 doesn't do enough over the Air to warrant an upgrade..for me. I thought the bit about what people like most about their ipads is the camera was pretty funny. I can't remember the last time I used my camera other than take a facetime call. So that whole bit was lost on me.

jimmysuggs2

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused here. The apple site still lists ipad mini 2 for sale, but they seem to have discontinued the 128 gb model.

Why would they do this?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused here. The apple site still lists ipad mini 2 for sale, but they seem to have discontinued the 128 gb model.

Why would they do this?

To move you towards the new models. They do the same thing with phones. With the release of the iPhone 6/6 Plus, you can only get an 8GB iPhone 5C at any cost. It’s just how they do things.

Want to make me an offer on my 128GB wifi Retina Mini? :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think ultimately why I'm not interested in upgrading for the speed increases is because there's really no change in apps or OS to warrant it. Was there anything in iOS 8.1? I'm still waiting for many ipad apps to simply get updated. The momentum seems a bit slow right now.

It's the continuity with iphone or Mac that changes things most for me. But that works well with the current models. Need an ipad to browse or read large docs or comics? You don't need the top of the line.

I almost snoozed during the image editing bit of the event. Even if I did that type stuff, it'd be on the MBP.

I'd have a hard time telling someone to spend 499 or more on an ipad. For what most people use these for, it's simply not worth it. That's why the ipad mini 2 at 299 seems a better value. And even then you'd want to find it discounted from that.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't. I am going to snag a refurbished off the apple store, save $150. Touch ID is not that important on an iPad to me, to warrant the higher price tag.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Just a word of warning: the Mini 3 is the same as the Mini 2 but just adds Touch ID. They have the same spec sheet! If you don't care about Touch ID, just go with the Mini 2.

idrazz856

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the 1st generation iPad mini so I am torn whether I will upgrade or not. Now that I have an ip6 I'm not sure if it's really a necessity right now.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I am going to keep my first gen iPad mini until it stops working... I am leaving it on 7.1.2 it works great on that version of iOS and I see no reason to buy something I don't need to buy.. I barely use the thing anyway!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73