iPad Mini 2 vs Galaxy Tab S Decision

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
To each his own, but I feel the Touchwiz version of Android just feels so overlaid with too much interface elements that just getting all of it to render is really taxing on the processor. If I were to go for an Android tablet I would go Nexus 7 or 9, or else just get an iPad. Nothing is smoother than iOS still even after many improvements on Android and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

My Nexus 4 is still extremely smooth and it's about 3 years old now.

I agree about TouchWiz, though. It's just too much, and it's ugly as well. But while I can't comment on the Tab S, I do have the Tab Pro 8.4 and it's not laggy at all. That thing is a beast to power TouchWiz on a QHD display and not lag. I really do need to get ahold of a windows PC so I can root it and flash a custom recovery so I can use any non-TouchWiz ROM, though.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
iPad is the much better all around device. They nailed it with the 4:3 screen ratio. Leveno (I think it's them ) is making an iPad knock off, to include a 4:3 screen.

I've tried other people's Android tablets, and when used in portrait mode, the screen is way too narrow. Yes, when watching movies on an iPad i have black bars, but so what ? I also have a taller screen in landscape mode.

I also wish to apologize for the two that derailed this thread. Personally, I won't buy Samsung products for ethical and political reasons. I've always used HTC. For TV I liked Pioneer, but we have Samsung to thank for knocking them out of the TV market by stealing patents and tying it up in court for too many years.

I disagree with the aspect ratio. I much prefer the 16:10 (8:5?) aspect ratio of my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. It allows my tablet to have an 8.4" screen and (barely) fit in my pocket, whereas the smaller 7.9" iPad mini can't. Like you said, you get less letterboxing while watching videos, which means videos are displayed almost as big as the full-sized iPad on a device much smaller. I also find Internet browsing better on the longer screen because I can see more content without scrolling as much.

The Nexus 9's 4:3 aspect ratio alone caused me not to get it. For now I'll keep my iPad Air 2 for home use and carry my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 around with me out of the house.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
How is it BS? Except for nexus devices I think most get updates for around that long . Hmm the HTC m7 is around 17 months old and I am guessing its last update is the android 5.0 lollipop update. Samsung last updated the s2 skyrocket up to android 4.1.2 jelly bean which was around late last year so around 20-22 months ? If you want the latest omg I need the latest updates get a nexus device. As far as the tab s goes it should get updates like to android 5.0 and probably 5.1 as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt the tab S will get any updates beyond lollipop.

I think most flagship phones get 2 major updates. So are supported for 2 years.

iPhones are usually supported for around 4 years.

The iPad 2 is almost 4 years old and still runs the latest software.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I doubt the tab S will get any updates beyond lollipop.

I think most flagship phones get 2 major updates. So are supported for 2 years.

iPhones are usually supported for around 4 years.

The iPad 2 is almost 4 years old and still runs the latest software.

Lol it should get android 5.1 and perhaps 5.2

The iPad 2 can run ios 8 but with reports it being crap your point ?

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I just went through the same decision process myself...

I had the iPhone3 and 3G, but was tired of the small screen and the very limited features back then... there was also the issue of it being on AT&T and getting 8-10 dropped calls per day(tried 3 different iPhones), regardless of where I was or signal strength... I finally moved to Verizon and went to Android. First couple phones were decent, but from 2012 on, Apple couldn't hold a candle to what was available with Android. More options, better phones with nicer screens and useful features that Apple fans wanted, but Mr Jobs decided that they should have to wait a couple years for... And with Android having 82% of the global market, and Apple now going to larger screens and adopting most of the Android features from 2 years ago, they obviously see the light and are trying to catch up.

That said, I assumed that the same was true for the tablet world. I had an original Nexus 7, and then decided to get a Windows Tablet... Nice enough, ran full windows and I could plug it into my Ducati's ECU to program and diagnose the bike, etc... But even with the Win 8.1 update, you just never feel like it was really meant for touch screens. It's this weird in between feel that doesn't cater to either mode of use as well as it could or should.

So this time around I read up a lot, went and played with different devices and decided to leave Windows and go back to an Android tablet. I considered the Galaxy S series and I was also intrigued by the NVidia Shield tablet running their crazy Tegra K1 SoC... fastest mobile graphics processor that you can buy in a tablet. Plays near desktop quality games, lots of cool features, console mode, front facing speakers... a solid tablet and for gaming, nothing can touch it. You aren't playing Half Life 2 on another other tab, that's for sure...

So I went back and forth between the Galaxy S 8.4 and the Shield. The Galaxy has the best screen I have ever seen on a tablet. It's amazing. But the battery life wasn't stellar and the Shield was faster and $100 cheaper, and offers more in the way of accessories and options, HDMI port, console mode, game pad controller, built in stylus, etc...

Got it home, and it was ok. It is certainly fast, but in upgrading to Lollipop it made the tablet buggy and there is no way to roll it back unless you want to void the warranty and root it, etc... To have to do that on a brand new $300 tablet, just to get it to work properly, seemed like BS to me. Tried tons of things to fix it, but just couldn't get it to not be laggy at times. I upgraded my Note 4 to Lollipop, and it made one of the best phones ever made, even better. But not so on the tablet...

So I went back and looked at the Mini 2 Retina... couple bucks more for the 32gb version, and you are giving up some things, make no mistake... 4:3 screen less ideal for movies... no front speakers... Limited storage, having to deal with iTunes, so not as easy as an Android tablet that can just plug into any USB port and drag and drop whatever you want to it or the SD card like a thumb drive... No HDMI port, non-standard proprietary plug that Apple insists on using just to increase revenue streams... No widgets or true interactive UI... just a slab with icons scattered about, no real multitasking or real time data widgets...

So in a lot of ways, the iPad is way behind the times, mainly because iOS is a couple years behind the curve.

However, the iPad looks amazing. The built quality is probably the best out there. Besides the crude UI and lack of widgets, it is simple and elegant. It is fast, smooth and seamless... It just plain WORKS for all of your basic browsing, email, media consumption and lite gaming needs. It's a fantastic tablet.

Super screen and performanance, and about as big as you want while still being able to palm it in one hand. Despite the lack of front facing stereo speakers, the sound is loud and excellent quality. Yeah, it doesn't have an HDMI port, but there's an iPad version of Chromecast...

The iOS version of Microsoft Office is much better than the Android one currently...

As for the selection of apps, both have so many apps that it's pretty much irrelevant. With Android dominating the planet, there really isn't anything on iOS than there isn't an Android version of.

I wouldn't trade my Android phones for anything from Apple. Apple still has a lot of catching up to do in several areas... But as far as tablets go, I don't feel that Android is as far along in maturity as their phones are.

Here I feel, Apple still has the edge. They are not perfect or without limitations, but for general purpose work, I don't regret returning my Shield tablet and picking up a Mini2 Retina. Yeah, it isn't as feature packed as the Android tablets, but in this price range, it's a higher quality, more refined product...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
One thing that I notice, is that the Mini2 Retina's graphics performance is nowhere near the Tab S. It looks great and is smooth in the UI, but when you run a video benchmark... take Antutu or something and look at the game portions of the test and watch the screens FPS on the bottom right corner, they are typically in the mid 20's...

To compare, both my Note 4 and the Shield Tablet I had, are typically hitting 59-60fps, which I think is the limit of what the display itself can show, so it may be faster, but it is capped at 60fps to match the 60hz frequency of the display...

That's a huge difference.

The overall score in Antutu on the Mini2 Retina, is 27,757... My Note 4 is over 52,000 and the NVidia tablet was almost 57,000. So, a huge difference. I think that the Tab S is in the mid 40,000 range...

Not that benchmarks are the end all be all of anything, but there is a pretty pronounced difference in graphics performance... And the Note 4 is running a much higher resolution than the iPad... 2560x1440 or something whacky... Almost double the PPI...

So if you want to do gaming, that could be a deciding factor.

In lite games, watching movies and everyday normal tablet duties, the iPad is buttery smooth and fluid. But in a higher end game with lots of eye candy, the Android tablets and even phones bring a lot more muscle to the table...

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't care how much better anything on Samsung is. What good is all that beef if you have to plug in after 3-5 of use. My wife's mini 2 will last over a week and show 20 plus hours of use regularly. My galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition would barely last 3-5 hours with heavy use. I was very disappointed with it. It had 3 gb ram and split screen and all that but I was having to plug in after a few hours. And I had to lower my screen brightness and turn off any connection I wasn't using just to get 5-6 hours of use and that is the wifi version. I never adjust the screen brightness and I always leave the Bluetooth and wifi on, on the mini 2 and it is a lte version. If you don't mind the power cord than yes, maybe the galaxy tab s could be better than the mini2........ NOT!

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, the battery life is probably the biggest issue with most Android tablets. Why they don't use bigger batteries or find a way around that, I don't know. Some do. The Nexus tablets tend to have better battery life.

I will say that my Mini 2 Retina has amazing battery life. That is the one thing that makes up for all the shortcomings and missing features, the outdated OS, etc...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The note 4 is quite smooth just like iOS .... So is the nexus line

Not after Lollipop. My Note 4 is lagging and freezing like crazy. Lollipop ruined a once awesome device.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
the tab s score is in the mid 30s

still are you sure about the antutu score of the mini 2?

Yup. A lot slower than I expected. I actually just returned it for an iPad Air 2 64GB... The smaller screen made it more portable, but the 7.9" screen compared to my phone's 5.7" screen... Yeah, it is definitely bigger, but not so much bigger that it made sense to have two devices in the same size category... The iPad Air 2 is much nicer. and it is scoring at around 59k in Aututu, so it's performance is on par with my phone now...

Not after Lollipop. My Note 4 is lagging and freezing like crazy. Lollipop ruined a once awesome device.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Do a hard reset after a major OS upgrade. It's the same reason why I don't upgrade Windows, but do a clean install instead.

My iPad Mini 2 Ret was a little laggy after upgrading from 8.2 to 8.3 and the hard reset fixed it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods