iPad Air and iPad Mini - overkill

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I have the iPad Air and was looking to get an iPad Mini, mostly due to the size while traveling.

Is this an overkill?

How many of you have both and are they getting used equally?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks much.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the Air and my son has the mini, I was just messing around with his and I have to say I do miss the size and the weight. Then I was watching a movie at lunch at work and I like the size of the Air. I guess if you can justify it you can have it. If I could, I think I would do it.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My situation is the opposite, I have the original Mini (love it) but will be stepping up to a carrier backed (T-Mobile) Air.

I use the Mini at work for email, research, calendar, note taking, etc but miss the larger screen size (I had the original iPad).

To me, the Air seems light enough, fast enough & big enough to fulfill many functions throughout my day.

I'm actually looking at one after work today...

_-TechnologyTwitt_-
------------------------

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
Hi
I have the iPad Air and was looking to get an iPad Mini, mostly due to the size while traveling.
Okay...:)

Is this an overkill?
Not if you need both or, as has already been stated, can justify having both. Heck, it's your money so if you want both, get both...:)

How many of you have both and are they getting used equally?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks much.
...:)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had both and wound up selling the mini along with my ipad 3 when I got the air. For me it was overkill and the air is light enough to carry anywhere.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I think it's the want vs need syndrome.here. I can justify that is lighter and smaller and thus easier to travel with but considering I travelled with the MBP then the iPad 2, it is hard to justify that I need something lighter than the Air.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :)

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I think it's the want vs need syndrome.here. I can justify that is lighter and smaller and thus easier to travel with but considering I travelled with the MBP then the iPad 2, it is hard to justify that I need something lighter than the Air.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :)

Exactly that. Both are great, meant for different people imo. But if you see yourself utilising both, heck, why not? :p

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
To me, the Air seems light enough, fast enough & big enough to fulfill many functions throughout my day.

I'm actually looking at one after work today...

_-TechnologyTwitt_-
------------------------

Well did you pick one up? I picked up the Mini and I have to say I am disappointed. It's not narrow enough for my fingers to reach across and not that much lighter than the Air.

I am also tempted to see it's not as fast. So I guess it's going back. :sigh:

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yep I picked up a 16gb Air with T-Mobile, and it's everything I expected. :)

The Mini will go into semi retirement and be used for personal things only while the Air will be my alternate work computer (MacBook Air is my primary).

I'm not concerned about space, as I said both devices are 16gb, because one will have all the videos & music, etc while the other has work related things. I have over 100gb on Dropbox plus use Evernote so there's a lot of data in the cloud, but since I have a solid connection most times, I've never had a problem.

_-TechnologyTwitt_-
------------------------

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep I picked up a 16gb Air with T-Mobile, and it's everything I expected. :)

The Mini will go into semi retirement and be used for personal things only while the Air will be my alternate work computer (MacBook Air is my primary).

I'm not concerned about space, as I said both devices are 16gb, because one will have all the videos & music, etc while the other has work related things. I have over 100gb on Dropbox plus use Evernote so there's a lot of data in the cloud, but since I have a solid connection most times, I've never had a problem.

_-TechnologyTwitt_-
------------------------

Congratulations! I'm a little jealous to be honest.. Good luck with your setup, it sounds great. :)

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
If you can afford both, you should get both. For me though, I only want one iPad, and the rMini does exactly what I need it to :)

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I guess it really depends on your likings. I personally like my ipad mini retina. I never liked the big ipad because they are too big. Even when first generation iPad was released, I knew that someday Apple will release a smaller model.

Now when Apple announces the next generation ipads. I might consider getting ipad air 2 (if that's what Apple will call it) and mainly use that as a home device and take my iPad mini Retina where I go.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Well so I am keeping both but I am using one or the other. Mostly the Mini since it's new of course.

It would make sense to sell the Air if I keep the Mini but I am quite reluctant to part with it.

I guess I would like to keep both if I can manage it financially.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Mini went back today. The Air is much more functional for me and I cannot justify two tablets and a laptop.

I got a black Smart Cover for my Air, to give a different look from the blue Apple case and I must say it looks very smart. :D

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've decided to get a mini when it's refreshed and sell my reg iPad. I like the size and it would be ideal to travel with. If I used my reg iPad I would keep both but it sits for the most part on my desk. If you'd use both, get both. Not an overkill to me.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I've decided to get a mini when it's refreshed and sell my reg iPad. I like the size and it would be ideal to travel with. If I used my reg iPad I would keep both but it sits for the most part on my desk. If you'd use both, get both. Not an overkill to me.

I looooooove the size of the Mini. Can't wait for the next iteration.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Everyone's situation is different, so it's not 100% accurate to say overkill...

My Mini is several months old, and aside from a slight "bend" on a portion of one side, which is hardly noticeable (caused by me rolling over on it in bed), it's still a pleasure to use (but now it's mainly for home use).

Now that I have an Air though (just been a few days), I definitely prefer to use it over the Mini because of the screen size and speed. It's become my work computer alternative.

I'm sure once iOS 8 comes out, it will be a breath of fresh air (hmmm, wonder if Apple coined that already) for both devices.

There's more than enough love though to go to both, and my MacBook Air as well.

_-TechnologyTwitt_-
------------------------

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW