Well, I finally caved in...

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
and decided to upgrade from my 64gb ipad3 with 3g. Ordered a 32gb black wireless-only iPad mini 2 and it just arrived a few hours ago. I could come up with a hundred reasons about how the previous ipad3 was starting to feel slow and all, but truth is, I just wanted to upgrade. With the money from selling my iphone4s, plus my learning device claim from the school, the iPad's practically free.

Now setting it up fresh by downloading all my apps. I could have simply restored from a backup, but I also wanted to use this opportunity to clear out some of the clutter from my previous iPad. Am I thankful for cloud syncing services which prevent me from having to set everything up from scratch or re-download everything.

Some thoughts and observations thus far (I haven't really gotten a chance to play around with it much yet).

1) icloud keychain is very useful for syncing all my passwords to a new device. I think this is a vastly underrated feature which didn't get any press, and while it probably applies only once per new device, I find it a welcome convenience nonetheless.

2) It is light! As a teacher, I teach with my iPad in class and I look forward to moving around my classroom with a lighter and more portable device. My pdfs also render noticeably faster and my apps load and run spiffier. I just hope I don't accidentally fling it across the class by accident!

3) Anyone know how to get my iMessages onto my new iPad? Will it all show up when I message someone? Haven't tried it out yet.

4) I was still dithering over whether to get the 4g iPad or not, but finally decided against it because I realised that when I do use my iPad, it was on wifi like 95% of the time. I intend to get a mifi device for my macbook and felt there was no point paying for yet another data plan (boy do these things really add up).

5) Worse comes to worse, I have over a week to return it. So yeah, really look forward to testing it out over the next couple of days.

Just thought I would share. :D

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Went from iPad 2 to iPad mini retina, yup, I like mini much more... Dare I say the iPad size and heft was too much... The mini hit the sweet spot between my laptop and 5s and bberry z10.Love my mini

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hope you enjoy your new mini. As far as the messages, I don't think they'll sync over if you're not restoring from a backup.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Some updates, from having used my iPad mini for a few more days.

This thing is fast! I said it before and I just have to say it again.

Just on Friday, I wanted to showcase my pupil's work on the board. I fired up scanner pro, scanned a copy of his essay, exported as PDF to notability, and was annotating on it within seconds. All this while my mini is AirPlay-mirroring to the smartboard.

Airplay mirroring is also much faster and smoother, with fewer hiccups overall (like lag or skipped frames). It really shines when I am hopping in and out of multiple apps.

Being smaller and lighter, it is easier for me to hold in one hand, and to thumb-type on the virtual keyboard in landscape mode.

Haven't really had the time to game on it yet (been flooded with work these few weeks).

Here are photos of my iPad mini in the Spigen tough Armour case.

ajysyner.jpg

jagy2amy.jpg

Well, back to grading my pupils' work. :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Just on Friday, I wanted to showcase my pupil's work on the board. I fired up scanner pro, scanned a copy of his essay, exported as PDF to notability, and was annotating on it within seconds. All this while my mini is AirPlay-mirroring to the smartboard.

Airplay mirroring is also much faster and smoother, with fewer hiccups overall (like lag or skipped frames). It really shines when I am hopping in and out of multiple apps.

Being smaller and lighter, it is easier for me to hold in one hand, and to thumb-type on the virtual keyboard in landscape mode.

Haven't really had the time to game on it yet (been flooded with work these few weeks).

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/ajysyner.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/jagy2amy.jpg

Very nice case!!!

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just upgraded from iPad 3 64GB to a mini retina 128GB. Both were cellular. I love the smaller size. Wish the Apple smart case flap would stick to the back more - it's awkward. Wish I could remove the flap and just have the back covered.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Some further updates:

Well, the Safari issues do seem to be true. I have problems keeping tabs from reloading. I can be composing a reply on Cnet in one tab, switch over to another tab to read Engadget, then when I switch back, the page has reloaded and I just lost everything I typed. I have also had a few random reboots, the most notable one was when I just unlocked my iPad.

Oddly enough, Safari seems more stable in private browsing mode. Pages seem to load faster, and don't reload as often.

Screen seems okay. I am not getting any of the retention issues reported earlier, and the display seems just as bright and crisp as my earlier ipad3. Maybe they ironed it out in the later batch, or I am just lucky? Either way, I am not going through every pixel with a microscope (or whatever it is they use to test screens), and for anyone worried about the screen quality, rest assured it doesn't seem any inferior to those of the previous generations. :)

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/ajysyner.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/jagy2amy.jpg

Very nice! I'm glad it's serving you well!

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
That's a great Spigen case too. Spigen just makes some nice, reasonably priced gear. I love my iPads, I can't decide which I like more, my Air LTE or my rMini LTE. They're both really nice tablets. Congrats!

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner