I never even noticed this.

Sent from my Titanium 5s 32
    02-01-2014 06:52 AM
    I wouldn't say people are defending Apple. Like I said earlier, I don't use my rMini without headphones nor do I listen to music or anything on my phone without headphones. We all use our devices for different purposes so to each their own. You are definitely justified in your irritation because apparently this interferes with you using and enjoying your device. I hope you find a solution to your problem soon. Whether its getting a new device or getting the response you want from Apple.
    My new ipad mini with 128gb is on it's way, should have it Tuesday. If jailbroken is there a tweek that could be downloaded to fix this issue. There is tons of tweeks there has to be a solution to this problem. Just have to wait a while before I jailbreak.
    03-09-2014 07:27 PM
    I thought my iPad mini Retina sounded fine until I went to show my girlfriend a video and the tv was on. Couldn't even hardly hear it. I'm in a quiet room now and with the volume all the way up it sounds crisp and loud. Not the loudest speaker I've ever heard but much louder than I remember when I was trying to show my girlfriend that video. No idea why it was almost inaudible but sounds fine now.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    03-18-2014 03:20 AM
    Hi ,guys
    I just bought my mini retina and these are my observations:
    1)certainly the speaker is different with lower output,probably imposed by screen and battery changes
    (Notice thickness and weight )
    2)most important in my opinion,the speaker is now facing a lot more backwards,if accidentally you put your hand as a "year pavillion"
    Notice how loud you suddenly hear
    In support of this observation,already a case maker unfortunately i don't remember the brand,created a case with a special shape that helps changing the direction of sound towards you,greatly improving the audition.
    BUT the speaker is objectively weaker .It is measurable,and no longer able to fill my room at max volume.Maybe even the resonance chamber is smaller due to space scarcity inside.
    A software tweak could improve sound ,but not dramatically.
    03-23-2014 10:55 PM
    I think the biggest problem is the variation of sound volume between apps. Some apps put put noticeable lower volume than others.
    03-24-2014 10:24 AM
    Hi ,guys
    I just bought my mini retina and these are my observations:
    1)certainly the speaker is different with lower output,probably imposed by screen and battery changes
    (Notice thickness and weight )
    2)most important in my opinion,the speaker is now facing a lot more backwards,if accidentally you put your hand as a "year pavillion"
    Notice how loud you suddenly hear
    In support of this observation,already a case maker unfortunately i don't remember the brand,created a case with a special shape that helps changing the direction of sound towards you,greatly improving the audition.
    BUT the speaker is objectively weaker .It is measurable,and no longer able to fill my room at max volume.Maybe even the resonance chamber is smaller due to space scarcity inside.
    A software tweak could improve sound ,but not dramatically.
    Point #2 has always been the case for me on any iPad. Doing that seems to make the sound a little louder without it sounding distorted. Just the sound hitting a barrier and coming straight at you in your direction. Physics and such that I couldn't dare try to explain.
    03-24-2014 05:53 PM
    I wanted to use my mini for Skype but just tried my first call and can hardly hear it. What is the problem? Surely the speakers are capable of more volume than a whisper. Very disappointed. Can this be fixed with a software update?
    08-22-2014 01:01 AM
    I wanted to use my mini for Skype but just tried my first call and can hardly hear it. What is the problem? Surely the speakers are capable of more volume than a whisper. Very disappointed. Can this be fixed with a software update?
    Generally, no. It's just a limited speaker system. I returned my mini for that reason. Awaiting the fall product line to see if it's improved after it's reviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    08-22-2014 04:51 AM
    I must be one of the lucky ones because the volume of my iPad Mini is quite loud.
    08-22-2014 10:36 AM
    I must be one of the lucky ones because the volume of my iPad Mini is quite loud.
    Probably. The low speaker volume is widely reported, and acknowledged.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    08-22-2014 10:38 AM
    Mine has no problems. Loud and clear volume for me.
    08-23-2014 09:14 PM
    I can't figure out what the issue is. It's nearly as loud as my 5s, but the sound quality is far better. The MiniR blew me away at how good the sound was coming from a tablet. If I need it any louder , I plug it into my stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-23-2014 10:17 PM
    I can't figure out what the issue is. It's nearly as loud as my 5s, but the sound quality is far better. The MiniR blew me away at how good the sound was coming from a tablet. If I need it any louder , I plug it into my stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here, but apparently others do not share our experience, unfortunately...
    08-23-2014 10:19 PM
    You do know that louder doesn't mean better audio quality right?? I paid about 780$ for iPad Mini Retina at 128gb and it has Two little speakers vs loud one on iPhone 5s... So please don't start with Premium price rant, it may not be as loud but two speakers do sound better... It's called mono vs stereo.... But hey just my opinion. You could always return it and get a Surface tablet
    I do not agree with you. iPad is premium device with premium price. All components should be premium. This includes speakers. I also noticed that speakers are just so, so. This is my only complaint about iPad mini

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-26-2014 04:54 AM
    Speakers sound pretty good to me.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    08-27-2014 03:40 PM
    I do not agree with you. iPad is premium device with premium price. All components should be premium. This includes speakers. I also noticed that speakers are just so, so. This is my only complaint about iPad mini

In order to make sound, speakers need to move air. In order to do that, they need surface area.

How much surface area do you think they have in a device that's 1/8" thick?

Compare it to other tablets and the iPad kicks them in the teeth. The thing even sounds better than most laptops I've heard. What more do you expect? It's not a home theater system, it's a tablet.

08-28-2014 08:14 PM
    Yes, definitely the volume is lower. Compared to my iPad 2, I can hardly hear a thing on my mini retina. To even get a decent volume, I need to turn it up to 90%. And even at max volume, it is like half of my iPad 2.
    09-11-2014 09:35 AM
    I got a case with my M2 Ret, it is made by MacAlly... And the plastic part that the iPad snaps into, has two acoustic champers that catch and project the sound forward...

It's not a huge gap where it looks goofy, but it absolutely works... Microcenter has the case on sale for $29. I can't post links yet, but here is the info:

MacAlly Rotating Folio Case with Stand for iPad mini Black
    Attached Thumbnails Has Apple acknowledged the low volume issue on the iPad Mini with retina?-20150409_162005.jpg  
    04-09-2015 04:33 PM
43 12