It's weird how pretty much no one complained about the colour gamut on the original iPad mini
    It's because it wasn't an issue just like it's not on the retina mini.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    01-03-2014 02:31 PM
    Dang it... now, where can I find a problem with my Apple device?
    iPad mini with Retina display | Image-retention issue | Narrow color gamut-1048509-cartoon-black-white-outline-design-man-looking-under-stone.jpg
    kch50428 and Rocket_Girl like this.
    01-03-2014 02:52 PM
    Do the Air and the iPad4 share the same colour gamut? This actually affects my decision greatly between an air or rmini. We have an iPad4 at home and because of it, I'm leaning more towards the rmini because of the mobility.

I'm not a professional photographer, but I would like consistency between colours. It would annoy me to have to put effort in getting the colours how I wanted them, only to find out they don't look the way I thought it should on the other device.

Perhaps, though, I should be more concerned about the colour gamut between my iPhone and the rmini since I always have my phone with me.
    01-05-2014 01:52 AM
    Do the Air and the iPad4 share the same colour gamut? This actually affects my decision greatly between an air or rmini. We have an iPad4 at home and because of it, I'm leaning more towards the rmini because of the mobility.

I'm not a professional photographer, but I would like consistency between colours. It would annoy me to have to put effort in getting the colours how I wanted them, only to find out they don't look the way I thought it should on the other device.

Perhaps, though, I should be more concerned about the colour gamut between my iPhone and the rmini since I always have my phone with me.
    You will always be limited by the device they display on, no? Meaning you could perfect the colors on your device, yet will have zero control over a Facebook friend's ancient monitor.

Per past experience and many, threads around here, most of these "problems" wind up being much ado about nothing-else-to-pick-on. Seriously. There are real problems now and then, (and Apple will always, unfailingly make it right). But Apple products work so well, so often, that people are left looking under rocks for problems (thank you Fausty82).

Best advice: try one. See how it works for you. Make your own decision. Your own eyeballs will be the best judge of what satisfies you.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    01-05-2014 07:47 PM
    You will always be limited by the device they display on, no? Meaning you could perfect the colors on your device, yet will have zero control over a Facebook friend's ancient monitor.

Per past experience and many, threads around here, most of these "problems" wind up being much ado about nothing-else-to-pick-on. Seriously. There are real problems now and then, (and Apple will always, unfailingly make it right). But Apple products work so well, so often, that people are left looking under rocks for problems (thank you Fausty82).

Best advice: try one. See how it works for you. Make your own decision. Your own eyeballs will be the best judge of what satisfies you.
    I get that people look for problems all the time. And it isn't limited to Apple products, people just don't know how to take things into perspective.

In this situation, the image retention issue certainly seems like a non-issue to me, however, limited colour range between the rMini and the full sized retina iPads isn't.

Oddly enough, I'm more concerned about how I see colours and not how they look to others. I'm very limited in my skills regarding photo touch ups that I focus in on the things I do know how to do.

You're right though, I need to see which one works for me. In my situation, I will have a full sized retina tablet side by side with the rMini, and I know that it would bother me quite a bit in seeing a variance between the colours.

On the upside, from further reading, the difference in colour ranges don't seem to be too drastic, and that, I can live with.
    01-05-2014 11:11 PM
    FWIW, I *am* a professional photographer, and I am still getting the iPad mini with Retina. Why? Because it fits my needs better than the iPad Air and because I wouldn't do any critical editing on an uncalibrated display anyway. Ever! That sort of work gets done back at the studio, on a recently calibrated monitor and under controlled room lighting.

So, to make a long story short, the narrow colour is not an issue for someone like me. I wouldn't use an iPad for critical work anyway, and neither would I use a laptop (unless it was connected to an external high gamut display that has been calibrated). I use my laptop and my iPad for work all the time, it's just that the work I do on my portable devices is never the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    01-06-2014 01:50 AM
    Definitively my last post in this thread... A little story similar to other post about image retention (IR) on iPads...

Yesterday my mother came with its iPad 4.
    Her and my father are using it heavily since more than one year now, as well as myself for "support" ;-).
    They are specially happy with the speed and the quality of the retina screen (even colours, vivid, no taint, no dead pixel).
    They never complained about the product quality, display or other...
    And true, it's a great device...

By curiosity, I quickly and discretly did the Marco test: same IR than the rMini.
    Of course I told nothing to my mother.

Conclusion: since at least more than a year, Apple heavily use a retina screen type that could be reviewed like this:

PROs: even taint, vivid colors, no bleeding... Happy users
    CONs: technical limitation: some image retention NOT visible during normal use

Now you are aware... This IR-gate should stop... It's incredible all this buzz for nothing...

Enjoy your rMini and forget about perfection...
    01-06-2014 04:55 AM
    It's because it wasn't an issue just like it's not on the retina mini.
    In my case, it were because I put the difference in display colour reproduction of the original Mini (with say an iPad 3) down to it being "non retina".....I for one was very disappointed with the less than optimal CR of the rMini.
    01-06-2014 11:09 PM
    I am disappointed with color fidelity issues as well, I do lots of amateur photography and not getting the same properly calibrated colors as my wife's iPad 3 was a letdown, especially at that price. However, I need a portable tablet, and I still feel Mini Retina is the best out there, at least the one that will likely work two years later (I didn't have the best experience with various Android devices).

The color retention is a joke. Try running the test on any device and you'll get retention. Nobody in their right mind is using the device like that.
    03-05-2014 06:35 PM
59 123