Mitch Malone may have done a better job than Marco Arment with his image retention test by including several duration and background options. But there is a variable that both neglected: brightness. I performed Mitch Malone's test with the 10-minute and grey bumps options at 100% brightness and did not notice image retention. Mitch Malone did not say why the grey bumps background was the "Best Choice." I also tried it with the plain grey background option but Mitch Malone's grey is indistinguishable from the black that Apple uses for its test. Therefore, I repeated the test and switched to Marco Arment's grey background page. This time image retention was clearly noticeable.

Try using this image retention test and tell me your results MacBook Pro with Retina - Image Retention Test

Sent from my 64 gig Retina IPad Mini
    11-24-2013 07:25 AM
    Here is an article in which Apple declares image persistence to be "normal behavior for an IPS display" but provides instructions on how to prevent its occurrence: Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays.
    11-24-2013 07:36 AM
    Who in there right mind would leave their screen on for 10 minutes on an image of a checkered flag. Are you freaking kidding me? Have human critical skills sunk so badly that they cannot see how highly unlikely anyone will do this on a day-to-day basis!
    Next scandal iPad Mini-R image burn - in problem!

Well sure, with all the image-retention testing....😝😝😝
    11-24-2013 11:27 AM
    Look just because you went looking or a problem and found one doesn't mean that the problem isn't there and NEEDS to be taken care of. I have a problem with my screen and I'm going to get it replaced because I didn't not pay for a sub par product. Regardless of the number of products X company sells or the reputation of X company that X company has to see what it's promised.

You cannot washout the significance of an issue because you went looking for it.
    11-24-2013 05:17 PM
    I bought a 32GB iPad Mini the day it came out. I didn't think to test for this issue until maybe a week later. And when I tested it with Marco's test, it showed no hint of image retention.
    I just got a 64GB Verizon iPad Mini and tested it a couple hours out of the box and it's showing very obvious signs of image retention. I'm hoping that maybe after a few days of use the issue will go away, does anyone know if could be true?

To me it seems pretty minor. But I'm a little OCD and know that now that someone has pointed out the flaw, my eyes are going to be looking for it all the time. Argh!
    11-25-2013 03:13 PM
    The narrow colour gamut caused me to return my Mini for an Air. Mine had no retention issue.

I bought the rMini believing it was a Retina as our old iPad3 is a Retina.....so when I compared pictures from the Toowoomba Festival of Flowers on both devices (rMini/iPad3) side by side, I couldn't believe how different they looked on my new rMini. I felt duped. It wasn't that I wasn't satisfied with the old Mini (so therefore by default, should be happier with the new rMini), it was that I expected the new rMini to be what I see as a "true Retina" display. It simply isn't. I think it's very apparent with blues and red hues, not subtle at all - and the Air being an in-between size, with a glorious "true Retina" display - well, it simply suits me much better. The rMini screen is undoubtedly a huge improvement over the first Mini display, as is it's processing speed, but colour reproduction matters too.

On the other hand, although my wife can see this difference as plain as day, comparing my new Air with her new rMini (she noted that in one of the pics, the blue hue of her sweatshirt was actually the true colour of the garment on the Air and lighter on the rMini), she doesn't want to swap it out. Wild horses won't separate her from the new rMini, so it's definitely a personal thing. Form factor against absolute display quality. She calls my Air a "still an iBrick" - very harsh!

I can post a series of pics demonstrating what I have put if anyone is interested....
    Last edited by Scallops; 11-25-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    11-25-2013 05:23 PM
    Newbie here. Been holding off buying a Mini until now, and bought a 64GB cellular version the first chance I got. I was torn between the Air and the rMini to be honest.

I learned about the screen issues only AFTER I bought the rMini so now that I've learned to live with the narrower color gamut, I tested the screen for image retention, and yup I do have it. Although I have to comment that using the test posted on this thread compared to Marco Arment's test, it was most apparent on his.

The next question is; do I return it or live with it. I've already been to the nearest genius bar, and they were already prepared to do a swap with the last 64GB cellular unit they had on hand, but when we ran the test together, that unit had retention as well. We went down to the demo floor and took a 16GB wifi model, tested it and saw none. I'm starting to see a trend here though, most of the units I've read on forums to be affected were cellular models (correct me if I'm wrong) 64GB and up.

So the guy gave me his calling card, and told me to call back within 2 weeks to check if they had new stock and come on by to get my replacement. Good service, thumbs up, Apple.

Although now, I kind of torn whether to sell my rMini in the secondary market and use the funds to buy an Air instead. Decisions, decisions.
    11-25-2013 08:34 PM
    Newbie here. Been holding off buying a Mini until now, and bought a 64GB cellular version the first chance I got. I was torn between the Air and the rMini to be honest.

I learned about the screen issues only AFTER I bought the rMini so now that I've learned to live with the narrower color gamut, I tested the screen for image retention, and yup I do have it. Although I have to comment that using the test posted on this thread compared to Marco Arment's test, it was most apparent on his.

The next question is; do I return it or live with it. I've already been to the nearest genius bar, and they were already prepared to do a swap with the last 64GB cellular unit they had on hand, but when we ran the test together, that unit had retention as well. We went down to the demo floor and took a 16GB wifi model, tested it and saw none. I'm starting to see a trend here though, most of the units I've read on forums to be affected were cellular models (correct me if I'm wrong) 64GB and up.

So the guy gave me his calling card, and told me to call back within 2 weeks to check if they had new stock and come on by to get my replacement. Good service, thumbs up, Apple.

Although now, I kind of torn whether to sell my rMini in the secondary market and use the funds to buy an Air instead. Decisions, decisions.
    The color thing isn't that bad that is blown over proportion. I don't see it and I have both.

-Yar I be a Pirate according to Phil and Co. At AndroidCentral because I run 10.2.1 and sideload
    11-25-2013 08:51 PM
    I agree entirely that the color thing is kind of overblown, but maybe for some users the reaction is justified, like say photo-edit heavy people like photographers and such, which I am not, so like I said I learned to live with it.

It's just this retention thing that's annoying, to be honest I wouldn't have known if I hadn't run the test but I just don't feel like parting with so much money to get a product with a defect. I dunno, maybe I'm anal too. -_-
    lui22 likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:56 PM
    Hello guys,

Has anyone purchased an iPad Mini Retina lately? Are the display issues fixed in the latest units, since the availability of Ipad Mini Retina greatly improved in the latest weeks? I would like to get an iPad Mini Retina and I hope at least the image-retention issue has been fixed.

Thanks.
    12-30-2013 05:29 AM
    Hello guys,

Has anyone purchased an iPad Mini Retina lately? Are the display issues fixed in the latest units, since the availability of Ipad Mini Retina greatly improved in the latest weeks? I would like to get an iPad Mini Retina and I hope at least the image-retention issue has been fixed.

Thanks.
    I bought a 128GB Verizon Retina Mini on Saturday and have no problems with image retention. There is no uneven lighting and I am extremely happy. I exchanged my 32GB for the 128GB.
    12-30-2013 05:49 AM
    @NexusGirlX, thanks for your quick reply.

What about the color gamut? Are you happy with the colors on your Retina Mini? Did you compare it to an iPad Air?
    12-30-2013 08:26 AM

What about the color gamut? Are you happy with the colors on your Retina Mini? Did you compare it to an iPad Air?
    Why would one compare it to the iPad Air? Do you plan on using the two devices side by side? The iPad Mini/Retina is a stand alone device. Purchase and use it (or not) based on its own merits. SMH.
    nikkisharif and Rocket_Girl like this.
    12-30-2013 10:36 AM
    I just wanted to know if there is any chance that Apple has fixed the colour gamut issue too with the latest stocks of rMini. And I think the best test to check this is to compare the rMini with the Air as others previously did.

I was ready to order an rMini but after reading about these display issues I can't really decide to go for the rMini or Air. This would be my first iPad ever. I previously owned a Nexus 7 2012 and I sold it because I wasn't happy with its washed out colors.

I live in Europe and there is no Apple store in my city. I was able to compare the Air at an electronics store with the 2012 iPad Mini and indeed there is an obvious difference in color gamut. I've read that the colors are not better with the rMini comparing to the previous year Mini

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    12-30-2013 12:50 PM

I didn't have a reason to compare the two. I had the original Mini and there was no question that I would be getting the Retina Mini. I think the Mini has an amazing display. This color gamut thing isn't an issue.
    Fausty82 and nikkisharif like this.
    12-30-2013 06:57 PM
    I just wanted to know if there is any chance that Apple has fixed the colour gamut issue too with the latest stocks of rMini. And I think the best test to check this is to compare the rMini with the Air as others previously did.

I was ready to order an rMini but after reading about these display issues I can't really decide to go for the rMini or Air. This would be my first iPad ever. I previously owned a Nexus 7 2012 and I sold it because I wasn't happy with its washed out colors.

I live in Europe and there is no Apple store in my city. I was able to compare the Air at an electronics store with the 2012 iPad Mini and indeed there is an obvious difference in color gamut. I've read that the colors are not better with the rMini comparing to the previous year Mini

One more time, if you have to read along on a website and seek out directions for finding a flaw, is it really a flaw? Still SMH.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    12-30-2013 08:22 PM
    One more time, if you have to read along on a website and seek out directions for finding a flaw, is it really a flaw? Still SMH.
    People LOVE to seek put problems that will have no effect on using the iPad. This and the image retention thing tend to bring out the worst mental health problems in people.
    Fausty82 and nikkisharif like this.
    12-30-2013 08:33 PM
    Hello guys,

Thanks.

I've had my rMini since week 2 and haven't had any retention issues. As far as color gamut goes, is it really an issue? I'm coming from a iPad 3 & I bought an Air for my mom & never found the need to compare the screens. Each device has a great screen. I upgraded from the 3 because I was tired of carrying a brick around and I didn't get the Air for myself because its still not small enough to fit in my smaller purses. I absolutely love the device and refuse to let what someone else "thinks" sway my decision. I wanted a super portable iPad with more memory and a better screen than the original Mini.....my 128GB rMini fits the description perfectly!!!

People LOVE to seek put problems that will have no effect on using the iPad. This and the image retention thing tend to bring out the worst mental health problems in people.
    LOL
    12-30-2013 11:47 PM
    Can you please give the production week of your iPad ?

Klantenservice: Serienummers

I have been changing my iPad rMini 32 GB LTE for the 4th time because of terrible image retention!
    12-31-2013 07:48 PM
    Can you please give the production week of your iPad ?

Klantenservice: Serienummers

I have been changing my iPad rMini 32 GB LTE for the 4th time because of terrible image retention!
    How do you know you have image retention? Don't say it's because you did that dumb checkerboard test for 10 minutes so you have to have image retention, right? That test is worthless if the only way you can get it to show up is to display that screen for 10 minutes. If you can still see text on the previous screen when that text was only on the screen for 20 seconds, thats a problem.
    01-01-2014 02:40 AM
    How do you know you have image retention? Don't say it's because you did that dumb checkerboard test for 10 minutes so you have to have image retention, right? That test is worthless if the only way you can get it to show up is to display that screen for 10 minutes. If you can still see text on the previous screen when that text was only on the screen for 20 seconds, thats a problem.
    No, just open App Store and wait for 30 sec. and switch to a gray bg. The IR last about 15 sec. I tried a longer period and the formula is like this:
    IR is the half of duration. For 4 min. IR last 2 min.
    01-01-2014 03:51 AM
    It appears that IR is a very old story on iPads... So nothing to be surprised about...
    See:
    [iPad] iPad 4 image retention - MacRumors Forums

From what I've read, it's seems that the iPad rMini Cellular is more concerned by the image retention phenomenon...

It could be very interesting to carry a poll with 4 choices:
    - rMini Wifi only with IR
    - rMini Wifi only without IR
    - rMini Wifi+Cellular with IR
    - rMini Wifi+Cellular without IR

So that people would like to exchange will be aware of their chance to have a screen without IR dependind upon their iPad model.
    I bet that 75-80% of Cellular are affected...
    Mine was manufactured week 51.

Btw, I confirm the retention is only noticeable when switching to a specific range of greyish solid background.
    Grey backgrounds somewhat lighter or darker that the one used in the test show no IR.
    And no IR at all on pure white, black, blue, red, green, etc...

After some hours of use, I can say the IR is nearly not noticeable during normal use, except if you search or provoke it.
    Btw, far less annoying that uneven colors/brightness or dead pixels...

I also tested 4 others iPad (one 2, one 3 and two Mini not Retina) and all showed some IR, except the 3...

Given all this, I consider IR in the rMini is not a fault, but rather a technical lilmit of one of the new screen type used by Apple... Like color/brightness uniformity, backlighting bleeding are on other types...

Ironically, screens showing IR seems very good at color/brightness uniformity and backlighbleeding... At least it's the case of mine... and no dead pixel (finger crossed) ;-)
    01-02-2014 08:16 AM
    Btw, this evening, I did some reading in iBook.
    Using the 3 backgrounds available (white, sepia, black) and taking intentionnaly a -very- long time between pages, lookingh closely there was no sign of IR at all.

IR appears only in specific circumstances. And even then, most of the time, you've to look for it to notice.

Looks more and more like a "no issue"...

All iPad models have suffered from IR, and Apple has not changed its screen providers.
    The rMini has a wonderfull display but if you want a free IR screen without exchanging 5,6,7... times, then you should switch to another tablet... for now at least...
    Last edited by brhume; 01-03-2014 at 03:53 AM.
    01-03-2014 02:41 AM

It's nothing your going to see fixed in later stock. It's the same color gamut as first gen iPad mini. Just now retina. The screen is meant to be this way.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    01-03-2014 02:59 AM
    It's nothing your going to see fixed in later stock. It's the same color gamut as first gen iPad mini. Just now retina. The screen is meant to be this way.
    It's weird how pretty much no one complained about the colour gamut on the original iPad mini
    01-03-2014 02:27 PM
59 123