Use AT&T SIM in Sprint iPad mini

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Everything I read seems to indicate that there is only one LTE model and that SIM's can be switched easily and used with any supported carrier.

I have an original iPad mini with LTE and it is part of my shared data plan with AT&T, so it is not a pay as you go account, just should be an active SIM for data.

I assume I could buy a new Sprint iPad mini retina (much more readily available than the AT&T models right now) with LTE and just switch out the SIM and be good to go on data?

Is there software or anything specific that ties the iPad to the Sprint service? Would I be able to switch to the pay per use from AT&T in the future? also thinking of resale later that would force buyer to use Sprint pay per use rather than have a choice. I would think there is something specific to the carrier installed???

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Everything I read seems to indicate that there is only one LTE model and that SIM's can be switched easily and used with any supported carrier.

I have an original iPad mini with LTE and it is part of my shared data plan with AT&T, so it is not a pay as you go account, just should be an active SIM for data.

I assume I could buy a new Sprint iPad mini retina (much more readily available than the AT&T models right now) with LTE and just switch out the SIM and be good to go on data?

Is there software or anything specific that ties the iPad to the Sprint service? Would I be able to switch to the pay per use from AT&T in the future? also thinking of resale later that would force buyer to use Sprint pay per use rather than have a choice. I would think there is something specific to the carrier installed???

From what I've been reading there's only 1 model to choose from, so you should be able to swap SIM cards and the iPad will work with that specific carrier. The only issue I've seen was with the AT&T model not working with a Sprint Sim. Whether that is true the other way around I'm not sure. You always have that 14 day return period, so if it's not working as you expect it should then just return it.

As long as the iPad isn't subsidized you should qualify for pay as you go but you may want to check with the carrier to verify this information.

I hope everything works out with your purchase...Good Luck & Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384583411.430413.jpgWell I went ahead and tried it. No 128GB AT&T iPad Mini Retina models, nor 64GB, in stock anywhere nearby, or even as far as I saw anywhere tonight. Plenty of Sprint and T-Mobile models around a in stock in local Apple stores. Picked up a T-Mobile version within an hour of ordering it via Personal Pick-Up.

Restored from my existing iPad Mini non Retina iCloud backup. Disabled Find My IPhone and disconnected from network on old Mini and put in AT&T sim in new mini and up and running on AT&T LTE no problems. Did not even try to activate T-Mobile account, just removed sim and maybe can use later if ever needed.

When I tried the View My Account feature did get a message, but not unexpected since part of shared data plan and not a pay as you go account, so I can manage from AT&T app or web as I did before.

Looks like I can cancel my order processing and not expected until early December. Still look to be a good number of T- Mobile and Sprint versions available in stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
gu6yhehe.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234