I have been reading a few comments about washed out screens on the new minis. See the below pic - the ipad air is definitely more vivid. Retina Mini  and iPad Air screen comparison.-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	42221
    LCW likes this.
    11-13-2013 03:30 PM
    Nice pics, but the differences are difficult for me to see on my iPhone using the Safari browser and logged in via the mobile web interface. Still, I appreciate you posting the pics. Thank you.
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    11-13-2013 04:06 PM
    I can tell the difference. Some of the colors on the Retina Mini are washed out while looking more saturated on the iPad Air. I took my iPad Air to the Apple store to compare it to the new retina Mini and I found out that what I read over at MR was true that the colors on the Retina Mini did look washed out compared to the Air. I put it up to more than one Retina Mini on display just to make sure. The store rep. said they already had a few customers who put orders in and then canceled it once they saw the screen in person.... Maybe it's because the Air has a larger screen and therefore makes the colors appear different, but I didn't like what I saw in the Apple store and decided that keeping my Air was the right choice for me.

Here is a comparison pic that I found online of the Air and Retina Mini side by side with full brightness that clearly shows that the Blues and Pinks on the Mini are washed out or dull looking compared to the Air. It also shows that the date and time are also washed out on the Mini compared to the iPad Air.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.
    Rocket_Girl, CDG, LCW and 2 others like this.
    11-13-2013 06:44 PM
    I would say the color temperature is a bit different, but I would not call it washed out. Mine is by far the best screen I've seen on a tablet.
    OTACORB and tbarker2 like this.
    11-13-2013 09:32 PM
    You guys have amazing eyes because they both look good to me in all the posted pics above.
    11-13-2013 09:39 PM
    You guys have amazing eyes because they both look good to me in all the posted pics above.
    I never said that it didn't look good, however, after comparing the two side by side for myself, I found that certain colors on the Retina Mini Screen were washed out looking compared to the iPad Air's. Good eyes or not, it is clearly visible in both posts above. I do think that the Retina display is much better for text on the new Retina Mini than it was on the non Retina Mini from last year, though.
    11-13-2013 09:47 PM
    I would say the color temperature is a bit different, but I would not call it washed out. Mine is by far the best screen I've seen on a tablet.
    I kind of agree. It's not like it looks bad but when you compare them side by side the air just looks better. And it better, it is $100 more. I ended up returning the mini and stuck with the air.

It's not really a clear cut choice of size as many blogs have been saying. There are some compromises. The speakers are much better on the air also but that was expected with the bigger size.
    Eileen89, RealNeal and shief24 like this.
    11-13-2013 09:51 PM
    Anyone think it might be due to the Air having an IGZO panel, while the Mini-R (or some of them) not being IGZO (supply issue) ???
    11-13-2013 10:59 PM
    Anyone think it might be due to the Air having an IGZO panel, while the Mini-R (or some of them) not being IGZO (supply issue) ???
    I was literally about to post the same thing. It could also be because the Air and the rMini displays being compared above are from different manufacturers, hence the different color temperature (you also see this when comparing many HDTVs).
    11-13-2013 11:17 PM
    Well I just got my mini retina and it looks awesome!!!! Love it
    tbarker2 likes this.
    11-13-2013 11:21 PM
    Side by side I can see the color temperature being different as well. We have seen this before with iPads that have used different screen manufacturers as well. I think that both screens look fantastic! Congrats on your new tech!
    11-13-2013 11:31 PM
    I never said that it didn't look good, however, after comparing the two side by side for myself, I found that certain colors on the Retina Mini Screen were washed out looking compared to the iPad Air's. Good eyes or not, it is clearly visible in both posts above. I do think that the Retina display is much better for text on the new Retina Mini than it was on the non Retina Mini from last year, though.
    Looks the same to me...... Color difference looks the same to me.... Not clearly visible to me. Sorry my eyes are not up to par.
    11-14-2013 09:45 AM
    I can see the differences side by side but given I won't have both, I suppose it won't really matter much. Both seem to look great on their own.
    Eileen89, taz323 and tbarker2 like this.
    11-14-2013 09:48 AM
    The iPad Air's colours do look better but I think I'll stick to my original iPad mini. Not that huge of a difference to make the change.
    11-14-2013 01:10 PM
    Looks the same to me...... Color difference looks the same to me.... Not clearly visible to me. Sorry my eyes are not up to par.
    No apology necessary, however, the color differences are there.
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:48 PM
    My wife and I each purchased the Air. When they announced the Retina Mini, we purchased online for in store pickup in Northbrook IL. After taking them home and playing with them side by side to our Air's, we both found the washed out colors and lack of similar brightness irritating enough to return both mini's the next day. We thought the red's and green's were most noticeable, and the white seemed 10-15% less bright in general. I suspect that Apple might be able to correct the brightness by tweaking the settings in a future release.

Definitly disappointed. We were hoping that with the tighter pixel per inch specs that the mini retina has, would have been the opposite result. I was hoping for that screen to have a relative brightness and saturation that might have looked superior to the Air.
    11-14-2013 06:09 PM

Interesting. Mine was from the Northbrook store also, maybe they got a bad batch. It seems to be more noticeable for certain colors more than others. In the photo, you can see the Speedtest icons look close to each other but the iTunes Store icon definitely has problems. I will return mine tomorrow.
    11-14-2013 08:11 PM
    I have a Air now and love it. My AT&T rMini has shipped and arrives early next week. I wanted them side by side to decide. After hearing all these washed out mini stories, this may make my decision easier.
    11-14-2013 08:22 PM
    Yeah I noticed the dimmer screen on the mini without comparison. I thought it was just my eyes. Won't ditch my air againn
    11-14-2013 11:08 PM
    Can see a difference, but they both look great.
    that_maynard and tbarker2 like this.
    11-14-2013 11:15 PM
    My wife and I each purchased the Air. When they announced the Retina Mini, we purchased online for in store pickup in Northbrook IL. After taking them home and playing with them side by side to our Air's, we both found the washed out colors and lack of similar brightness irritating enough to return both mini's the next day. We thought the red's and green's were most noticeable, and the white seemed 10-15% less bright in general. I suspect that Apple might be able to correct the brightness by tweaking the settings in a future release.

Definitly disappointed. We were hoping that with the tighter pixel per inch specs that the mini retina has, would have been the opposite result. I was hoping for that screen to have a relative brightness and saturation that might have looked superior to the Air.
    Sorry to hear about the screens on the rMini's ... By the way, welcome to the forums!
    11-15-2013 11:55 AM
    I actually compared my new Retina Mini screen to that of my wife's Air... while I do see a difference in the photos, I did not notice much of a difference between my Mini and her Air... it does look to be a color temperature issue to me... and since I will not be using both devices side by side, I don’t see anything to get worked up about...

Loving my Retina Mini...
    nikkisharif, OTACORB and tbarker2 like this.
    11-15-2013 12:08 PM
    My rMini arrived today via FedEx, several days early. Had I not read this forum I would have said the screen is great. But since I have read it, I did notice that the left side of the screen (in portrait) has a slight grayish cast to it. If I flip the iPad over I still see it on the right side, so I'd have to say it's definitely there. That said, unless I was looking for it I don't think I would have noticed it. I only see it on a very white screen. I think this one is a keeper.
    tbarker2 likes this.
    11-15-2013 06:44 PM
    Side by side, I notice the difference. But I'm most likely going to return the iPad Air. It's not going to matter much when all I'm using is one.

All I've b*tched about for a year is wanting retina on the Mini. I got that PLUS top of the line specs from Apple. A little color saturation is morning to me now.
    nikkisharif and tbarker2 like this.
    11-15-2013 07:49 PM
    I have both side by side. The rMini looks like poo next to the Air. I'll be returning the Mini. Plus, the speaker on the mini is very low.
    11-16-2013 12:50 AM
76 123 ...