Retina Mini and iPad Air screen comparison.

dolomatt

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading a few comments about washed out screens on the new minis. See the below pic - the ipad air is definitely more vivid. image.jpgimage.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nice pics, but the differences are difficult for me to see on my iPhone using the Safari browser and logged in via the mobile web interface. :) Still, I appreciate you posting the pics. Thank you.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I can tell the difference. Some of the colors on the Retina Mini are washed out while looking more saturated on the iPad Air. I took my iPad Air to the Apple store to compare it to the new retina Mini and I found out that what I read over at MR was true that the colors on the Retina Mini did look washed out compared to the Air. I put it up to more than one Retina Mini on display just to make sure. The store rep. said they already had a few customers who put orders in and then canceled it once they saw the screen in person.... Maybe it's because the Air has a larger screen and therefore makes the colors appear different, but I didn't like what I saw in the Apple store and decided that keeping my Air was the right choice for me.

Here is a comparison pic that I found online of the Air and Retina Mini side by side with full brightness that clearly shows that the Blues and Pinks on the Mini are washed out or dull looking compared to the Air. It also shows that the date and time are also washed out on the Mini compared to the iPad Air.

rygyrupu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S.

pgood4

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I would say the color temperature is a bit different, but I would not call it washed out. Mine is by far the best screen I've seen on a tablet.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You guys have amazing eyes because they both look good to me in all the posted pics above.

I never said that it didn't look good, however, after comparing the two side by side for myself, I found that certain colors on the Retina Mini Screen were washed out looking compared to the iPad Air's. Good eyes or not, it is clearly visible in both posts above. I do think that the Retina display is much better for text on the new Retina Mini than it was on the non Retina Mini from last year, though.

dolomatt

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I would say the color temperature is a bit different, but I would not call it washed out. Mine is by far the best screen I've seen on a tablet.

I kind of agree. It's not like it looks bad but when you compare them side by side the air just looks better. And it better, it is $100 more. I ended up returning the mini and stuck with the air.

It's not really a clear cut choice of size as many blogs have been saying. There are some compromises. The speakers are much better on the air also but that was expected with the bigger size.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone think it might be due to the Air having an IGZO panel, while the Mini-R (or some of them) not being IGZO (supply issue) ???

DJHalle

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone think it might be due to the Air having an IGZO panel, while the Mini-R (or some of them) not being IGZO (supply issue) ???

I was literally about to post the same thing. It could also be because the Air and the rMini displays being compared above are from different manufacturers, hence the different color temperature (you also see this when comparing many HDTVs).

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Side by side I can see the color temperature being different as well. We have seen this before with iPads that have used different screen manufacturers as well. I think that both screens look fantastic! Congrats on your new tech!

toemasuxsempai

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I never said that it didn't look good, however, after comparing the two side by side for myself, I found that certain colors on the Retina Mini Screen were washed out looking compared to the iPad Air's. Good eyes or not, it is clearly visible in both posts above. I do think that the Retina display is much better for text on the new Retina Mini than it was on the non Retina Mini from last year, though.

Looks the same to me...... Color difference looks the same to me.... Not clearly visible to me. Sorry my eyes are not up to par.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I can see the differences side by side but given I won't have both, I suppose it won't really matter much. Both seem to look great on their own.

iHalifax

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
The iPad Air's colours do look better but I think I'll stick to my original iPad mini. Not that huge of a difference to make the change.

Dan Umansky

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I each purchased the Air. When they announced the Retina Mini, we purchased online for in store pickup in Northbrook IL. After taking them home and playing with them side by side to our Air's, we both found the washed out colors and lack of similar brightness irritating enough to return both mini's the next day. We thought the red's and green's were most noticeable, and the white seemed 10-15% less bright in general. I suspect that Apple might be able to correct the brightness by tweaking the settings in a future release.

Definitly disappointed. We were hoping that with the tighter pixel per inch specs that the mini retina has, would have been the opposite result. I was hoping for that screen to have a relative brightness and saturation that might have looked superior to the Air.

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
u7e8ahyh.jpg

Interesting. Mine was from the Northbrook store also, maybe they got a bad batch. It seems to be more noticeable for certain colors more than others. In the photo, you can see the Speedtest icons look close to each other but the iTunes Store icon definitely has problems. I will return mine tomorrow.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a Air now and love it. My AT&T rMini has shipped and arrives early next week. I wanted them side by side to decide. After hearing all these washed out mini stories, this may make my decision easier.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I noticed the dimmer screen on the mini without comparison. I thought it was just my eyes. Won't ditch my air againn