Retina Mini and iPad Air screen comparison.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I each purchased the Air. When they announced the Retina Mini, we purchased online for in store pickup in Northbrook IL. After taking them home and playing with them side by side to our Air's, we both found the washed out colors and lack of similar brightness irritating enough to return both mini's the next day. We thought the red's and green's were most noticeable, and the white seemed 10-15% less bright in general. I suspect that Apple might be able to correct the brightness by tweaking the settings in a future release.

Definitly disappointed. We were hoping that with the tighter pixel per inch specs that the mini retina has, would have been the opposite result. I was hoping for that screen to have a relative brightness and saturation that might have looked superior to the Air.

Sorry to hear about the screens on the rMini's ... By the way, welcome to the forums!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually compared my new Retina Mini screen to that of my wife's Air... while I do see a difference in the photos, I did not notice much of a difference between my Mini and her Air... it does look to be a color temperature issue to me... and since I will not be using both devices side by side, I don’t see anything to get worked up about...

Loving my Retina Mini...

miscrap

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
My rMini arrived today via FedEx, several days early. Had I not read this forum I would have said the screen is great. But since I have read it, I did notice that the left side of the screen (in portrait) has a slight grayish cast to it. If I flip the iPad over I still see it on the right side, so I'd have to say it's definitely there. That said, unless I was looking for it I don't think I would have noticed it. I only see it on a very white screen. I think this one is a keeper.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Side by side, I notice the difference. But I'm most likely going to return the iPad Air. It's not going to matter much when all I'm using is one.

All I've b*tched about for a year is wanting retina on the Mini. I got that PLUS top of the line specs from Apple. A little color saturation is morning to me now.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have both side by side. The rMini looks like poo next to the Air. I'll be returning the Mini. Plus, the speaker on the mini is very low.

jwalker007

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the color of the screen on my original Mini better. I picked up the rMini yesterday and I think I'm going to return it. It's noticeably heavier, runs hotter and since the non retina fonts are a little thicker, it's much easier to read for older eyes.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving my rMini and could care less what the screen on my mom's Air looks like. I won't be using them side by side anyway. Even reading this thread hasn't made me want to compare the two. I've been waiting for a rMini forever because I wanted a great screen along with the portability of the Mini and that's what I got. Yes the Air is lighter and smaller than previous models but it's still not as portable as I need it to be, so the rMini is a no brainer for me and nothing is going to make me feel otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pgood4

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving mine as well. The color temperature is a bit different, but I don't find it washed out, just a bit different. Actually looks very close to my iPhone 5 and the sharpness is just incredible.

MLdroidN4

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you compare the two side by side you will definitely notice some difference in colors and the sharpness. Since they both are different models manufactured differently. That said, they both possess a beautiful display IMO.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a really good review out on the rMini. Read it here:

AnandTech | Apple iPad mini with Retina Display: Reviewed

What I find disappointing is that Apple released an inferior display on this iPad. This was a design choice - its not just the result of manufacturing differences between suppliers. The rMini display is not an sRGB display (as you will see in the review). Its color reproduction is far less accurate than the display on the iPad Air, which is an sRGB display. This means reds, pinks (most colors really) have a faded appearance compared to other displays. What bites is that there are other tablets out there of similar size that DO have the same pixel density as the rMini, AND have sRGB displays (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HDX). So I'm paying top dollar for a tablet that has an inferior display to tablets costing 1/2 as much. I'm not impressed. I expect AMAZING products from Apple, and this is not amazing! Its Apple being greedy and giving us a cheaper display.

I think I'll return my Mini...

ZeroLeonheart

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
If it's been said before, I apologize, but I wonder if the screen temp issue (in general, not am issue for me) can be fixed with a software update?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

What I find disappointing is that Apple released an inferior display on this iPad. This was a design choice - its not just the result of manufacturing differences between suppliers. The rMini display is not an sRGB display (as you will see in the review). Its color reproduction is far less accurate than the display on the iPad Air, which is an sRGB display. This means reds, pinks (most colors really) have a faded appearance compared to other displays. What bites is that there are other tablets out there of similar size that DO have the same pixel density as the rMini, AND have sRGB displays (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HDX). So I'm paying top dollar for a tablet that has an inferior display to tablets costing 1/2 as much. I'm not impressed. I expect AMAZING products from Apple, and this is not amazing! Its Apple being greedy and giving us a cheaper display.

If you are that upset about it then you're doing the right thing by returning it. For me it's not that serious. I like my rMini not only because of the specs but because of the perks you get with an Apple device...the ability to take it to Apple if something goes wrong (where's the Asus Store), great customer service (try calling Samsung & see what happens), the many apps available, and the fact that in 2 years my iPad will more than likely still be supported & get updated to the new OS (my iPad 3 runs great with iOS 7...are there any Honeycomb tablets that have been updated?). Just my observation...you get what you pay for.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

They raised the price by $70. Giving us a "cheaper" display was what they had to do in order to get that price point.

And, yeah, it IS an amazing product.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

My observation was its a clearer display from the 1st gen mini as I had that too but the quality is not there. Even the color on my 5s pops to where the retina mini doesn't. Many will be fine with the rMini display but it is not acceptable to me. First time I can say I was really ever disappointed in a product I bought from Apple and I love Apple. I just have higher expectations from Apple and won't settle.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
They raised the price by $70. Giving us a "cheaper" display was what they had to do in order to get that price point.

And, yeah, it IS an amazing product.

I have to disagree, at least when it comes to the screen. Apple used to be on the cutting edge when it came to display technology in their devices. They were first with Retina (on iPhone, then iPad), and it was AMAZING. Retina on MacBook - AMAZING. This is NOT amazing. My original iPad mini has better color reproduction than this device has. Yes, the screen is clearer, but this is not what we're used to seeing in a Retina display. We're used to both crispness AND color accuracy. My iPad Air's display blows the display on the rMini away. The Air has almost perfect color accuracy, and for the money I'm being asked to pay, I expected the same on the mini. The mini is going back - I'm not paying for mediocre.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
My Retina Mini arrives on Tuesday. I hope I don't end up returning it for this issue. I was in the Apple store a couple of days ago and was looking at the Retina Minis and I didn't look at them and think "Oh my gosh, they look terrible". As a matter of fact, I forgot there was supposed to be a difference in color saturation and was more focused on if I could tell the difference in weight (I couldn't) and if it seems faster (it did). I suspect unless I compare it side-by-side with an Air, I won't notice it.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I suspect unless I compare it side-by-side with an Air, I won't notice it.

You can easily see it by comparing to the icons on an iPhone. Or a web page. I took my iPhone 5, iPad rMini, and iPad Air , put them side-by side, and brought up the same web page on each one. Its the page on the Apple web site that shows the iPhone 5c and all the colors. On the iPhone - colors were amazing. iPad Air - incredible. iPad rMini - washed out. :( The green phone in the picture looked more like celery than lime green. The shocking pink phone was more of a salmon, the blue less intense, and the yellow a bit odd (it was the best of the bunch, actually).

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The rMini is not the flagship iPad, the Air is. I don't understand why it's so difficult to understand. Plus, they're giving you a choice. If you don't like the rMini, get the Air or another tablet. What's the big deal? If something isn't to the standards I like, I just pick something else...plain & simple!!!

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
At this early stage, people are surprised and that's why all the discussion. People are all still sharing their thoughts and opinions which is why the thread has great value. You stated that your mind is made up that's why it seems pointless to you. Plus, stock is limited and users are awaiting deliveries as not everybody has the luxury of seeing the differences in person, so this thread is helping to provide useful planning information.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro