My understanding is that "retina" is Apple marketing for pixel density, not color gamut.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-17-2013 09:08 PM
    My understanding is that "retina" is Apple marketing for pixel density, not color gamut.
    Then why do their other Retina displays (iPhone, Air, MacBook) have sRGB color gamut?

Apple's competition markets similar sized tablets with 100% sRGB "retina" density displays that cost 1/2 the price of an rMini. Where's Apples leadership here? Where's the "best-of-breed" quality? Not on this display - that's for sure.
    11-17-2013 09:14 PM
    I believe the iPhone 4/4s had a similar gamut to the rMini, and that's a Retina screen. Frankly, I'm more disappointed not having TouchID than I am with the color gamut. But I use my rMini for reading, web surfing, email and things like that. I may browse photos, but I do all my photo editing and color correction on a rMBP and an iMac (both of which screens I color calibrate weekly). I don't find the iPad 3 or the rMini particularly good for photo editing.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-17-2013 09:20 PM
    I am a professional photographer, and I will be buying the new iPad min with Retina display. As long as the colour gamut of the new display is no worse than my current iPad mini, I'll be happy. Would I have preferred a better colour gamut this time around? Sure, but I use the iPad mini for those times when I'm on the road and need to save the maximum amount of weight (so as to be able to bring more photo gear, usually ).

My iPad minis mostly used for blogging and quick photo uploads when I'm on the road. It was never (and never will be) used for critical photo editing, and neither is my Macbook Pro (even though it is calibrated frequently). If I had an iPad Air, that would not be used for critical image editing either. Critical image editing is always done back at the studio, on a recently calibrated high colour gamut monitor. Always!

That said, it is still a little disappointing that Apple chose a lesser display technology for their newest iPad mini.
    PatrickNSF and RealNeal like this.
    11-17-2013 11:13 PM
    So what a lot of you are saying is that the problem is definitely a hardware - screen - problem that cannot be correct by a software update?
    11-17-2013 11:24 PM
    So what a lot of you are saying is that the problem is definitely a hardware - screen - problem that cannot be correct by a software update?
    Yes it is a hardware problem. The color accuracy is not as good as the one on the iPad Air. If that is a major concern for you, then get the Air. I value portability over color accuracy, so I am keeping my iPad. In the end, you must do what works for you.

Sent from my 64 gig Retina IPad Mini
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:06 AM
    Well I just got my mini retina and it looks awesome!!!! Love it
    Me too. Mine has a stunning display. I picked up an Air for my wife a couple of weeks ago. It replaced her iPad 2. It has a stunning display also. No, I haven't compared them side by side. They both are amazing.
    11-20-2013 04:47 AM
    The iPad Air's colours do look better but I think I'll stick to my original iPad mini. Not that huge of a difference to make the change.
    I think the change from the OG mini to the retina mini is the biggest generational change between two iOS devices ever.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    03-19-2014 05:12 AM
    I think the change from the OG mini to the retina mini is the biggest generational change between two iOS devices ever.

It is indeed a big leap but bigger than the iPad 2 to the iPad 3...or equally as big?

via the phone
    03-19-2014 08:29 AM
    It is indeed a big leap but bigger than the iPad 2 to the iPad 3...or equally as big?

via the phone

The 2 had a the a5 chip where as the 3 had the a5x but the mini had the a5 where as the retina mini has the 64 bit a7. So I'd say a much bigger leap/upgrade

Haalcyon and nikkisharif like this.
    03-19-2014 09:58 AM
    It's not really a fair comparison. If size doesn't matter, why chose rMini over Air, anyway ? The cost alone ? And if size does matter, the only alternative to rMini is the original Mini.

Yes, the colors on rMini are less saturated, and the overall brightness is less than on Air, which was indeed disappointing, but they are serving different purpose.
    03-20-2014 03:24 PM
    I love my MiniR. I don't have the Air to compare it to but when I went into the Apple store and saw the two I fell instantly in love with the Mini! I'm just blessed to own one! 😍 loving my Mini!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-21-2014 09:20 AM
    I love my MiniR. I don't have the Air to compare it to but when I went into the Apple store and saw the two I fell instantly in love with the Mini! I'm just blessed to own one! �� loving my Mini!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    I am blessed with wife and kids, the rMini is nice to have though
    03-21-2014 01:28 PM

via the tablet
    03-21-2014 01:29 PM

You are so right! I'm blessed to have my husband and son!!! He knows all the desires of our hearts. ☺️

03-21-2014 04:54 PM
    Me too. Mine has a stunning display. I picked up an Air for my wife a couple of weeks ago. It replaced her iPad 2. It has a stunning display also. No, I haven't compared them side by side. They both are amazing.
    I just got my Retina Mini. Have had the Air since Christmas. I have compared them side by side and have no issues. Both are clear, beautiful displays. Maybe they fixed something...I don't know. But mine are VERY similarly beautiful.

Posted via the Android iMore App!
    tbarker2 likes this.
    03-23-2014 07:21 PM
    Colors are just a bit deeper on the Air when comparing the same exact photo on the Air and Retina Mini. It's not that big of a difference that people say it is. I am happy I own both.
    sforsyth01 and tbarker2 like this.
    03-23-2014 09:20 PM
    Colors are just a bit deeper on the Air when comparing the same exact photo on the Air and Retina Mini. It's not that big of a difference that people say it is. I am happy I own both.
    Exactly. I don't even notice the difference between my Air and rMini.

via the tablet
    tbarker2 likes this.
    03-23-2014 09:33 PM
    The differences are in the saturation levels of reds and blues (and purples, by extension) - these colors look richer on Air.

Also, because of lower gamut, some of the more subtle colors are changing or "shifting" on Mini - e.g. when I view the same photo with lots of green grass in it on my wife's iPad 3 Retina next to rMini, the green on Mini has a bit more yellow in it. (Luckily, the Caucasian skin tones look similar on both, which is more important for portraits).

Finally, iPad 3 screen is noticeably brighter, I would say with both at max setting, it's easily 30% brighter than rMini. I assume Air is close to 3.

But, as I said, it's a moot point if you need a portable tablet and Air is still too large. rMini has nice and crisp display, it's just not as perfect as a bigger iPad, but it's not bad at all.
    03-25-2014 11:34 AM
    I would never have considered the Retina Mini's display anything but beautiful unless I'd read otherwise.

via the tablet
    sforsyth01 likes this.
    03-25-2014 11:36 AM
    Well, try taking it outside in bright light... It's readable but not on the level of it's big brother.

Is it a nice display ? Sure.

But not on par with what Apple offers in other tablets.

But, again, if you need a portable Apple tablet, it's not like there's any better choice.
    04-03-2014 07:47 PM
    Well, try taking it outside in bright light... It's readable but not on the level of it's big brother.

Is it a nice display ? Sure.

But not on par with what Apple offers in other tablets.

But, again, if you need a portable Apple tablet, it's not like there's any better choice.
    For a few more years at least, I will not even consider anything other than iPad (I own the Air and Retina Mini). Even the Tech Guy, Leo agrees that the iPad is still tops in tablets today.
    04-04-2014 04:18 AM
    I don't have another iPad to compare color with, but next to my 2013 Nexus 7, this retina display is very obviously better. I am now more interested to see what the iPad Air display looks like now, though. I'm so used to the slightly washed out colors on the Nexus that this Mini looks incredibly vibrant. Not as overly saturated as an AMOLED screen, but much more pleasant.
    04-05-2014 01:31 PM
    I don't have another iPad to compare color with, but next to my 2013 Nexus 7, this retina display is very obviously better. I am now more interested to see what the iPad Air display looks like now, though. I'm so used to the slightly washed out colors on the Nexus that this Mini looks incredibly vibrant. Not as overly saturated as an AMOLED screen, but much more pleasant.
    That's neat and very interesting. The Nexus screen is higher resolution (and that's one of its selling points) yet you prefer the color of the iPad (Mini Retina?) more and, therefore, prefer the iPad's screen more. Not surprising, really.

via that gPad 📱
    04-05-2014 01:36 PM
    Pretty much. i've been using them side-by-side for a day now just comparing the color of pictures I have in my dropbox and the Retina Mini does a better job at accurately showing colors. The Nexus 7 has a very very slight grey-ness to the screen that mutes everything I'm looking it and has been that way since i got it last year. Its only now that I have something to really compare it to that the differences are so noticeable.

EDIT: okay, i still have to say this. the Nexus 7 is half the cost of the Retina Mini. It makes sense that the screen wouldn't be as crisp and clear at such a huge price difference.
    04-05-2014 02:22 PM
76 1234