I actually like the color of the screen on my original Mini better. I picked up the rMini yesterday and I think I'm going to return it. It's noticeably heavier, runs hotter and since the non retina fonts are a little thicker, it's much easier to read for older eyes.
    11-16-2013 09:21 AM
    I'm loving my rMini and could care less what the screen on my mom's Air looks like. I won't be using them side by side anyway. Even reading this thread hasn't made me want to compare the two. I've been waiting for a rMini forever because I wanted a great screen along with the portability of the Mini and that's what I got. Yes the Air is lighter and smaller than previous models but it's still not as portable as I need it to be, so the rMini is a no brainer for me and nothing is going to make me feel otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-16-2013 11:09 AM
    I'm loving mine as well. The color temperature is a bit different, but I don't find it washed out, just a bit different. Actually looks very close to my iPhone 5 and the sharpness is just incredible.
    11-16-2013 02:36 PM
    Well, if you compare the two side by side you will definitely notice some difference in colors and the sharpness. Since they both are different models manufactured differently. That said, they both possess a beautiful display IMO.
    11-17-2013 01:39 AM
    There is a really good review out on the rMini. Read it here:

AnandTech | Apple iPad mini with Retina Display: Reviewed

What I find disappointing is that Apple released an inferior display on this iPad. This was a design choice - its not just the result of manufacturing differences between suppliers. The rMini display is not an sRGB display (as you will see in the review). Its color reproduction is far less accurate than the display on the iPad Air, which is an sRGB display. This means reds, pinks (most colors really) have a faded appearance compared to other displays. What bites is that there are other tablets out there of similar size that DO have the same pixel density as the rMini, AND have sRGB displays (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HDX). So I'm paying top dollar for a tablet that has an inferior display to tablets costing 1/2 as much. I'm not impressed. I expect AMAZING products from Apple, and this is not amazing! Its Apple being greedy and giving us a cheaper display.

I think I'll return my Mini...
    seanpr likes this.
    11-17-2013 08:35 AM
    If it's been said before, I apologize, but I wonder if the screen temp issue (in general, not am issue for me) can be fixed with a software update?
    11-17-2013 10:30 AM

What I find disappointing is that Apple released an inferior display on this iPad. This was a design choice - its not just the result of manufacturing differences between suppliers. The rMini display is not an sRGB display (as you will see in the review). Its color reproduction is far less accurate than the display on the iPad Air, which is an sRGB display. This means reds, pinks (most colors really) have a faded appearance compared to other displays. What bites is that there are other tablets out there of similar size that DO have the same pixel density as the rMini, AND have sRGB displays (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HDX). So I'm paying top dollar for a tablet that has an inferior display to tablets costing 1/2 as much. I'm not impressed. I expect AMAZING products from Apple, and this is not amazing! Its Apple being greedy and giving us a cheaper display.

If you are that upset about it then you're doing the right thing by returning it. For me it's not that serious. I like my rMini not only because of the specs but because of the perks you get with an Apple device...the ability to take it to Apple if something goes wrong (where's the Asus Store), great customer service (try calling Samsung & see what happens), the many apps available, and the fact that in 2 years my iPad will more than likely still be supported & get updated to the new OS (my iPad 3 runs great with iOS 7...are there any Honeycomb tablets that have been updated?). Just my observation...you get what you pay for.

OTACORB and tbarker2 like this.
    11-17-2013 12:31 PM

They raised the price by $70. Giving us a "cheaper" display was what they had to do in order to get that price point.

And, yeah, it IS an amazing product.
    11-17-2013 01:11 PM

My observation was its a clearer display from the 1st gen mini as I had that too but the quality is not there. Even the color on my 5s pops to where the retina mini doesn't. Many will be fine with the rMini display but it is not acceptable to me. First time I can say I was really ever disappointed in a product I bought from Apple and I love Apple. I just have higher expectations from Apple and won't settle.
    RealNeal likes this.
    11-17-2013 01:26 PM
    They raised the price by $70. Giving us a "cheaper" display was what they had to do in order to get that price point.

And, yeah, it IS an amazing product.
    I have to disagree, at least when it comes to the screen. Apple used to be on the cutting edge when it came to display technology in their devices. They were first with Retina (on iPhone, then iPad), and it was AMAZING. Retina on MacBook - AMAZING. This is NOT amazing. My original iPad mini has better color reproduction than this device has. Yes, the screen is clearer, but this is not what we're used to seeing in a Retina display. We're used to both crispness AND color accuracy. My iPad Air's display blows the display on the rMini away. The Air has almost perfect color accuracy, and for the money I'm being asked to pay, I expected the same on the mini. The mini is going back - I'm not paying for mediocre.
    11-17-2013 01:40 PM
    First time I can say I was really ever disappointed in a product I bought from Apple and I love Apple. I just have higher expectations from Apple and won't settle.
    ^^ Exactly!
    11-17-2013 01:55 PM
    My Retina Mini arrives on Tuesday. I hope I don't end up returning it for this issue. I was in the Apple store a couple of days ago and was looking at the Retina Minis and I didn't look at them and think "Oh my gosh, they look terrible". As a matter of fact, I forgot there was supposed to be a difference in color saturation and was more focused on if I could tell the difference in weight (I couldn't) and if it seems faster (it did). I suspect unless I compare it side-by-side with an Air, I won't notice it.
    OTACORB likes this.
    11-17-2013 02:40 PM
    I suspect unless I compare it side-by-side with an Air, I won't notice it.
    You can easily see it by comparing to the icons on an iPhone. Or a web page. I took my iPhone 5, iPad rMini, and iPad Air , put them side-by side, and brought up the same web page on each one. Its the page on the Apple web site that shows the iPhone 5c and all the colors. On the iPhone - colors were amazing. iPad Air - incredible. iPad rMini - washed out. The green phone in the picture looked more like celery than lime green. The shocking pink phone was more of a salmon, the blue less intense, and the yellow a bit odd (it was the best of the bunch, actually).
    11-17-2013 02:50 PM
    The rMini is not the flagship iPad, the Air is. I don't understand why it's so difficult to understand. Plus, they're giving you a choice. If you don't like the rMini, get the Air or another tablet. What's the big deal? If something isn't to the standards I like, I just pick something else...plain & simple!!!

PatrickNSF, OTACORB and tbarker2 like this.
    11-17-2013 03:20 PM
    At this early stage, people are surprised and that's why all the discussion. People are all still sharing their thoughts and opinions which is why the thread has great value. You stated that your mind is made up that's why it seems pointless to you. Plus, stock is limited and users are awaiting deliveries as not everybody has the luxury of seeing the differences in person, so this thread is helping to provide useful planning information.
    RealNeal likes this.
    11-17-2013 03:35 PM
    We have an iPad 3 LTE, mini LTE and mini w/ Retina LTE. They're all fine for what they are. If I was doing paid, professional photo editing I'd be more concerned with the color gamut. As it is, the mini w/ Retina is good for my purposes. I rarely took the iPad 3 LTE out of the house other than on vacations. On the other hand, I take the mini(s) out all the time. (Plus, I prefer to use an iMac or rMBP when I need to do my unpaid, nonprofessional photo editing.)
    nikkisharif, OTACORB and tbarker2 like this.
    11-17-2013 03:59 PM
    You can easily see it by comparing to the icons on an iPhone. Or a web page. I took my iPhone 5, iPad rMini, and iPad Air , put them side-by side, and brought up the same web page on each one. Its the page on the Apple web site that shows the iPhone 5c and all the colors. On the iPhone - colors were amazing. iPad Air - incredible. iPad rMini - washed out. The green phone in the picture looked more like celery than lime green. The shocking pink phone was more of a salmon, the blue less intense, and the yellow a bit odd (it was the best of the bunch, actually).
    As much of an advocate of the Mini as I've been, I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed. But...

From an upgrade standpoint if you have the original Mini, the retina Mini is still a tremendous upgrade. A5 to A7 and sharp text. Same color gamut unfortunately. But the key word is SAME. This difference didn't just pop up, it was there last year. Ipad mini 1 vs ipad 3 or ipad 4? Ring a bell? Yep, these full sized ipads have full color gamuts. And yet, millions kept their "washed out" Mini's that even had worse resolution on top of it. In that regard, I think the matter is a little overblown (kinda like the colors on an ipad Air). I'm kinda used to the Mini by now and the more natural looking colors. It's easier on the eyes.

How about the iphone 4/4S? These weren't full color gamut either. I can't say I've seen a single complaint about "washed out" colors on these.

So yeah, I understand the disappointment. Naturally, this means I'd go and get an Air right? Nope. I still much prefer the form factor of the Mini. Like last year, that matters more. It doesn't do me any good to compare the Mini against a product I have no use for. The ipad Air could get a 4k screen with holograms popping out of it but I've learned from the past few years I just have no use for a 10" tablet.

I expect that I'll be delighted when my Mini arrives this week. Looking forward to it. I have zero desire to take it to Best Buy and start comparing with every screen...there's no point to it.
    11-17-2013 04:12 PM
    Here's a photo taken with my Cannon Power Shot (not the best camera, admittedly). This is Safari on Apple's web site showing the iPhone 5c. You can clearly see the diff. rMini on the left, iPad Air on the right. Both devices were set at maximum brightness and the photo is un-retouched. The difference is even more striking in person.

Retina Mini  and iPad Air screen comparison.-img_1613.jpg
    LCW likes this.
    11-17-2013 04:36 PM
    The ipad Air could get a 4k screen with holograms popping out of it but I've learned from the past few years I just have no use for a 10" tablet.
    Great post. Though, I'd probably cave and move back to a 10" iPad for the holograms ;-)
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-17-2013 04:42 PM
    As much of an advocate of the Mini as I've been, I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed. But...

From an upgrade standpoint if you have the original Mini, the retina Mini is still a tremendous upgrade. A5 to A7 and sharp text. Same color gamut unfortunately. But the key word is SAME. This difference didn't just pop up, it was there last year. Ipad mini 1 vs ipad 3 or ipad 4? Ring a bell? Yep, these full sized ipads have full color gamuts. And yet, millions kept their "washed out" Mini's that even had worse resolution on top of it. In that regard, I think the matter is a little overblown (kinda like the colors on an ipad Air). I'm kinda used to the Mini by now and the more natural looking colors. It's easier on the eyes.

How about the iphone 4/4S? These weren't full color gamut either. I can't say I've seen a single complaint about "washed out" colors on these.

So yeah, I understand the disappointment. Naturally, this means I'd go and get an Air right? Nope. I still much prefer the form factor of the Mini. Like last year, that matters more. It doesn't do me any good to compare the Mini against a product I have no use for. The ipad Air could get a 4k screen with holograms popping out of it but I've learned from the past few years I just have no use for a 10" tablet.

I expect that I'll be delighted when my Mini arrives this week. Looking forward to it. I have zero desire to take it to Best Buy and start comparing with every screen...there's no point to it.
    You've seen my moaning over non-retina on the mini for a year now. Taking it back twice and such because I just couldn't stand the display. You won't be disappointed. I can finally look at text on this thing without it looking like the text was sanded down with sandpaper.
    cardfan, nikkisharif and OTACORB like this.
    11-17-2013 04:50 PM
    Wondering if the worst culprits for less saturation on the Mini-R's are the ones with non-Sharp (the company) displays... possibly the Samsung and LG ones ?? Or vice versa of course. It's been said plenty that due to shortage of yield from Sharp, Apple had to turn to LG and even Samsung to supply displays for the Mini-R... wondering if the rush to fill the supply chain allowed for less that optimal quality on some displays... ???
    11-17-2013 05:54 PM
    Wondering if the worst culprits for less saturation on the Mini-R's are the ones with non-Sharp (the company) displays... possibly the Samsung and LG ones ?? Or vice versa of course. It's been said plenty that due to shortage of yield from Sharp, Apple had to turn to LG and even Samsung to supply displays for the Mini-R... wondering if the rush to fill the supply chain allowed for less that optimal quality on some displays... ???
    That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I listened to the iMore podcast this week and Rene made the point how Apple just wants to get their stuff out there ASAP.
    11-17-2013 06:53 PM
    You will not probably notice a difference unless you have the Air and rMini display side by side. Go read the Anandtech article about the Mini and he explains it well. It is a failure of calibration on Apple's part.

For me it is not a big deal. First, I do not have an iPad Air to compare the rMini to. Second, the portability of the device and the ability to hold it with one hand during my lectures far out ways the slight difference in screen calibration.

For my purposes, the iPad Air is just too big.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    11-17-2013 07:27 PM
    11-17-2013 07:47 PM
    The rMini is not the flagship iPad, the Air is. I don't understand why it's so difficult to understand. Plus, they're giving you a choice. If you don't like the rMini, get the Air or another tablet. What's the big deal? If something isn't to the standards I like, I just pick something else...plain & simple!!!

It's a retina display. Quality should not be taken away just because it's a mini. The color density is the same as the 1st gen and I was ok with it then because it wasn't retina.
    RealNeal likes this.
    11-17-2013 07:51 PM
76 1234