Mini Retina vs Air???

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had the iPad 2, iPad 3, and now iPad mini.

Since the iPad Air is now so light, it's a tough decision between it and the Mini w/ Retina. Basically $100 more for the larger screen. All other specs seem to be on par. How about the amount of RAM? Apple doesn't usually list this - are they the same between the Air and Mini Retina?

I LOVE the size of my Mini. Never was really too thrilled on the screen (non Retina) but the size made up for it. Back then though, the full size iPad weighed much more.

Wondering if anyone is debating between the Air and Mini Retina? Or is it the case of when you go Mini, you don't go back. ;)

cheers

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's best to actually hold both device and see which one fits your needs. I still love the mini size and plan on buying the r.mini sometime during the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I am strongly debating with this.
I am currently wondering if the comparison between Air and mini is like comparing between a, say MBP, 15" and 13".

It's not really the same because, for me, 13" is a deal breaker as it's fitting my bag where a 15" doesn't even enter it.
In the case of iPads, I don't think there's any issue of that kind. They both fit in most bags.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
IMO, the reduced weight and thinness of the ipad Air won't be that significant if you use a case. And I do. It'll still be over a lb and be propped in lap. With a Mini, it's more of a handheld device which is what a tablet should be.

From the old Mini to the retina one, the change will be much greater. A processor that flies, double the RAM, and the best screen found on a tablet (vs the worst screen in the Mini 1). In fact, the retina Mini's screen will be much higher quality than the Air. Quality vs size.

From an ipad 4 to the ipad Air, there will hardly be any change in experience. The speed difference won't be that noticeable, no difference in RAM, and same screen. If you're using a case, you'll most likely use it the same way you did the ipad 4. Even Anandtech mentions the weight is still too much to use this for an extended time if in a full case without propping it against something.

So not a big deal for me in making the decision. The retina Mini wins easily. I'd even pay the same as the ipad Air for it so I consider it a bonus to save a 100. I plan on getting verizon 128gb, black.

Last edited:

terreos

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I prefer small tablets. Don't get me wrong I love large screens for media watching and web surfing. But I never want to take it anywhere. But if you don't plan on lugging it around everywhere then I'd say go with the iPad air. Otherwise the mini is the way to go.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think you will def see a difference in the weight in the air case or not. When the iPhone 5 came out even with a case I was able to feel the difference. I am going with the air. I sold my 3 to get it. I have the mini and plan on keeping it for reading.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To me, yes the Air is definitely thinner but if the width and height remains the same it really defeats any sort of reason to get it if you are already on a Mini because of its super portability.

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
To continue on this thread, I have a question here.

A lot of people say the mini is better because of its portability, can be taken on the go and all.
When I think about my routine, sure I'm not staying at home all the time. But when I'm moving, I'm either driving (can't use an iPad while driving, obviously) or sitting in the train (not a deal-breaker for an iPad mini). When I'm visiting family, it's like being home, so an iPad Air fits perfectly as well.

So what's your mini usage? To the caf? maybe? I never do that, so I'm sure I'm missing things!

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To continue on this thread, I have a question here.

A lot of people say the mini is better because of its portability, can be taken on the go and all.
When I think about my routine, sure I'm not staying at home all the time. But when I'm moving, I'm either driving (can't use an iPad while driving, obviously) or sitting in the train (not a deal-breaker for an iPad mini). When I'm visiting family, it's like being home, so an iPad Air fits perfectly as well.

So what's your mini usage? To the caf? maybe? I never do that, so I'm sure I'm missing things!

For me I prefer a smaller device even around the house, if I need to do something that requires a screen like the Air I would just sit down at a computer or laptop.

skye1212

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
This is the question. After reading a lot of feedback and seeing people with the new air's,
I think the new air is slimmed down enough to diminish the size advantage of the mini.
And stick w/ the bigger screen.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll