Where to buy?

miscrap

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a PC / Android guy. But last month I won a $500 Apple gift card. I debated selling it and getting a new Nexus 7, but while researching at the time, I found out about the new iPads being released. After the announcement a few days ago I decided on an iPad Mini Retina with 32 gb. My gift card will cover everything except the tax and a cover, so good deal for me. Since I've never had to deal with the Apple frenzy when a new device is released I have a question. I've heard and read that the Mini R will be in short supply whenever it releases in November. Today I read that it will be in VERY short supply until next year some time. So my question is, is it better to try to order one online or to get one at an Apple store? I have 3 Apple stores within about 45 minutes of my house, but I don't really want to go there and wait in line, or drive to all of them every day hoping to score. How likely is it that I'll be able to order one online? Suggestions from people who've gone through it are appreciated.
Thanks!

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If you don't want to drive around then I'd suggest ordering it online. Gift card will work online as if in the store. Nice score and choice btw!

PhamQu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've never actually tried to order an iPad through Apple.com or purchase one in a brick-and-mortar store, let alone right after launch.
When I ordered my iPhone 5s, 32gb, space grey, I ordered through my carrier website on opening day, and received it in the mail 4 days later. Some people just got their iPhone 5s a week or 2 ago, through Apple.com, while I've had mine for more than a month now.
The Retina iPad Mini is going to be extremely hot. Every single iPad Mini owner I know and have read (which is a LOT) wanted Retina more than anything. Extremely high demand + extremely low supplies = an interesting launch weekend.
My suggestion? Order through Apple.com. On release day (or night, since midnight), just sit in front of your computer in the comfort of your home with your payment info ready and wait for the seconds to tick down to the Apple Store update. As soon as you are able to, place an order for the model you'd like.
You might receive it in a week, or a month. Inversely, you could drive out to each of the 3 brick and mortar Apple stores and try your luck. If you're like me and hate lines and just simply large crowds, I'd strongly advise you against that. I don't think it's worth it. Order from your warm, cozy home, and then simply wait for your new iPad to arrive. What's one month to this whole time you've gone without one? =)

EDIT: After reading your initial post a second time, I feel that I should let you know that you are always able to actually place the order for whatever model you want. The only thing that changes is the estimated shipping time.
Good luck, and also, CONGRATS on your win!

miscrap

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and the congrats! I actually almost blew it... I happened to notice an email titled Re: Congrats on winning. It went on to say We tried to contact you twice and haven't received a response, so we'll have to give your prize to the runner up. I never saw the first two emails (although I found them later). I replied right away and was lucky (again) that they had not yet contacted the runner up, so I was able to claim the prize. Guess I'll just order online as soon as they become available and then just wait it out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73