Do you guys think Retina Ipad Mini will outsell its bigger brother?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, people like bigger phones and smaller tablets, and given the reception of the first Mini I don't doubt it will sell well. I think I'm going to go with 50/50 though.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad Air outsold the Retina iPad Mini this year. Firstly there are supply constraints apparently, and second the iPad Airs' new form factor will appeal to some who would have ordered the Mini because of the lighter weight. However, I don't expect either to greatly outsell the other. In the end, they will likely be very similar in sales.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
So far looks like the ship times haven't changed... Seemed like the ship times on the Air changed much quicker after launch... Wondering if the fear of limited supply on the Mini-R and the earlier availability of the Air has reduced demand enough on the Mini-R to not cause massive shortage??

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd say its possible, but not as likely for a few reasons. One, it's only $100 cheaper this time. 2nd, its not being as heavily marketed with commercials so far, and most people don't even know its available now. And last, its not going to be as available to purchase as the iPad Air is.

Yptcn

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So far looks like the ship times haven't changed... Seemed like the ship times on the Air changed much quicker after launch... Wondering if the fear of limited supply on the Mini-R and the earlier availability of the Air has reduced demand enough on the Mini-R to not cause massive shortage??

I was wondering exactly the same thing ;-)))

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Now that it's finally gone retina, and is that super duper ultra portable size and A7 in its innards? I think it will outsell its bigger brother, for sure, or even every tablet existing prior...

Now I would think the Nexus 7 2013 edition might have a little bit of the lead in specs, but come on, if Apple is the company selling this it's got to be best selling, right?

What you guys think?

I think it all depends on what people are looking for. If they want the larger size, the price most likely will not deter them from the mini. I think it is 2 separate categories they are aiming for and will attract different audiences. Now some will be swayed I am sure, for me personally I like the smaller and more portable size of the mini so if I decide to get one it will definitely be the mini with retina.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Hard to say which audience is bigger - the full size or mini camp. The Air is such improved it will sway some folks back to a full size iPad I'm sure. But the Retina is what many full size ipad owners have been waiting for the last year. Too tough to call.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends on what people are looking for. If they want the larger size, the price most likely will not deter them from the mini. I think it is 2 separate categories they are aiming for and will attract different audiences. Now some will be swayed I am sure, for me personally I like the smaller and more portable size of the mini so if I decide to get one it will definitely be the mini with retina.

Good thoughts there, I like that.

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think the Retina Mini will definitely outsell the Air, maybe not as as much as the original Mini vs the larger iPad. But given the fact the R-Mini has the same processor, same resolution, $100 cheaper, and assuming the same RAM, a lot people will go for the R-Mini. There's surely a reason why Apple released the Air first, and with just a bit more gap than the return period for the first Air buyers.

Surprisingly, the original mini did not outsell the iPad 4. At least not according to Localytics data (among 20m tablets surveyed). Source: iPhone 5c Narrowing 5s' Lead and What to Expect From Apple’s 10/22 iPad Launch
Global-iOS-Tablet-Share2-1024x511.png

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly, the original mini did not outsell the iPad 4. At least not according to Localytics data (among 20m tablets surveyed). Source: iPhone 5c Narrowing 5s' Lead and What to Expect From Apple’s 10/22 iPad Launch
View attachment 42189

But it was interesting to see that the Mini sold near to IPad 4 numbers, which indicates that the portability far over-ceded the lack of retina enough for a good percentage of people. Now that the Mini has Retina, I don't know how it can be stopped, besides, perhaps, the lower production of iPad Mini retinas. It would surely do better than the original Mini, if momentum is assumed to take its course here. People looking to replace their unwieldy iPad 2s and 3s will soon also pour over into the Mini camp, and the percentage you are seeing for the previous generation iPads will soon shift.

pe8er8

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
An Ipad mini with retina desplay and an A7 chip?
It's going to outsell everything. The only thing that will slow down the mini sales is lack of product

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
It will be close. The complaint I had with the previous iPad was the weight and now that Apple trimmed it down it may be even hotter than ever. This will be my first iPad that will be a keeper because how light it is!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it will based on price alone I mean only diff between the two is the mini 2 CPU is clocked down a bit vs the bumped up air.
Other than that only two factors remain ...
Screen size you want
And price

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 42189

I'm surprised the Mini didn't even outsell the iPad 3 ("new iPad")... Certainly would have thought so. Love my original Mini! But now love my Air more. ;) I hated my 3 and never used which is why I sold it as soon as the first Mini came out.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods