Is the iPad mini with retina display really worth it?

skye1212

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have somehow held off for years buying an ipad. They seemed like great
fun, but I could never convince myself I really needed it in addition to my MBP.

Now the new mini is retina and I have the fever. But a friend says I'm crazy not
to go with the bigger screen of the air. Decision gridlock.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I have the iPad mini. I'm going to upgrade. I can't stand the screen and the iPad 3 like slowness. Anyone want my VZW 32gb iPad mini? :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I can tell the difference between the iPad 2 that my grandmother has and the iPad 3 I have, so yes, it makes a difference. I was hoping the new iPad mini would have a new processor, retina display and Touch ID. Not sure if I'll be getting this iPad mini either. I got the last one and took it right back. Hmm maybe I'll give it a chance actually... ugh!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
People will say, "D, I can't believe you'd choose the iPad Mini over the iPad Mini with retina display", and I'd reply with, "That's incorrect. I'd pick the rMini over the Mini any day". The question, however, is whether or not upgrading to the rMini is worth it, and in my regard, it is not. I have no visual problems or complaints with my current Mini, and it does everything I want and need it to do without a problem. Therefore, yes, the rMini is a better device, but no, it is not worth the upgrade from *my* current Mini.

Last edited:

oscarcanada

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
After waiting anxiously for this, and hot off the heels of getting an 5s on launch day, i must say that the Mini 2 has left me a little underwhelmed.

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
After waiting anxiously for this, and hot off the heels of getting an 5s on launch day, i must say that the Mini 2 has left me a little underwhelmed.

Seriously? It has the same processor (and co-processor) and same high-res screen as your iPhone 5S - what is there to be underwhelmed about? ???

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
The retina display is not a big deal for > me <, at least not in regard to the iPad. I was content with the display of the iPad 2, and even more so with the iPad Mini. Since the display is a good deal smaller, it looks even more clearer. I read a lot with it, but not in the form of ebooks. I use my Kindle for that, but a good deal of my RSS feeds, Twitter, iMore forum and general webpage reading are done via my iPad Mini and I have no problems with it.

That's about my opinion as well, but I do use my Mini for reading eBooks quite a bit. but for me, the display on the Mini is just fine... If I want hiDef, I'll go watch my 60 inch DLP TV..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's about my opinion as well, but I do use my Mini for reading eBooks quite a bit. but for me, the display on the Mini is just fine... If I want hiDef, I'll go watch my 60 inch DLP TV..

That DLP TV of yours wouldn't happen to be a Mitsubishi would it?...:)

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Retina mini is totally worth it for me. While I love my mini, the resolution never really was the best but I knew that... what I didn't know, was how iOS 7 would make that seem even worse. The fonts and such on the mini now look terrible in my opinion and I think a retina version will correct that, so it's worth it for me given how much I rely on my current mini.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If the iPad Mini with Retina only has a 16GB storage option then no, it's not worth it, as there is no SD external storage. And no, I'm not going to pay for iCloud storage to make up the difference. I already have a 16GB iPad that I have to keep deleting apps from to keep usable. I was considering the iPad mini w/Retina, but not if it's only going to be 16GB storage option available.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
This is my take on it. I love my iPad Mini, and I'm not going to upgrade. HOWEVER if I were choosing today I would opt to spend the extra 100, for the retina and beefier specs. BUT it's not enough to make me upgrade. Perhaps at Mini 3rd Gen!

vic867

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been waiting for iPad Mini with Retina, since they launched the iPad Mini last year. This is the perfect size for an in-between device. I have an iPhone 5s and a MacBook Air 11" and getting an iPad mini 7.9" is perfect for me. I will be getting an iPad Mini with Retina Space Gray 64GB with LTE on Verizon. I figure getting this model will not be as difficult to get at launch.

Two years ago when iPad 2 launched, I did not order online and tried buying the iPad 2 the day of the launch and was not able. I stood in line on a Saturday after launch, no luck, Sunday after launch, no luck, the following Saturday, (4 hours in the rain) no luck, and finally two weeks after launch (4 hours in line again). I bought a iPad 2 16GB White wifi. I wanted the iPad 2 32GB black with LTE on Verizon, but I got desperate. Six months later, I sold it, because it wasn't the iPad i wanted. That was the last time I would stand in line to buy an Apple product. I only buy products online or when there is no lines.

Sorry for going off topic.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It is worth it for me since I don't have a mini. If I had one already I don't know that I would upgrade. Hard to say. I really think it's a big bump up. It's not just the display. It's a big jump in specs. I'm going to wait and see but I will probably get one.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It would be worth the money if I didn't already have a mini with 15 months left on contract. Im sure the eventually temptation will kick in, but for now, Christmas will be where i spend my money.

Perhaps someone would like to give me one for xmas?? ;)

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
If I didn't own an iPad, it'd be worth it.

But I do, and so one has to stop upgrading early at some point.

Next year or the year after is the ticket. Maybe I'll even be able to get a refurbished iPad Mini with Retina... (The 128 GB version with LTE is what I have my eye on, for someday...)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying $300 for Retina Mini or the Mini 1. Reason I ask is that the stating price point for the new Mini with Retina is $400.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/24/ymude4ug.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
So then do you think under this price point would it not be fair to say to get the iPad Air at the $499.00 price point....A $100.00 more and a bigger pad??

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
People will say, "D, I can't believe you'd choose the iPad Mini over the iPad Mini with retina display", and I'd reply with, "That's incorrect. I'd pick the rMini over the Mini any day". The question, however, is whether or not a upgrading to the rMini is worth it, and in my regard, it is not. I have no visual problems or complaints with my current Mini, and it does everything I want and need it to do without a problem. Therefore, yes, the rMini is a better device, but no, it is not worth the upgrade from *my* current Mini.
With making that statement it brings up and opens the perfect question for me....Knowing that I have told you I have given away my iPad 2 some time ago and have been without a pd for some time and miss it, Now I want to and need to look at a mini purely for monetary reasons. having said that, Would you suggest I go to the rmini even though a bit more money but with vast improvements or save the $100.00 difference and go with the original mini?

Assume for your answer all things are equal with me as you in seeing things on that size screen and your other reasons. Thanks for any help anyone else wants to chime in to help me as well. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Retina mini is totally worth it for me. While I love my mini, the resolution never really was the best but I knew that... what I didn't know, was how iOS 7 would make that seem even worse. The fonts and such on the mini now look terrible in my opinion and I think a retina version will correct that, so it's worth it for me given how much I rely on my current mini.
Chis given the items that iOS 7 has such a larger fonts, Bold, Contrast and such do you not think that this would be enough using these features to compensate and help the fonts of the new OS?
I am asking this so I myself has the opinions of others in the worth of saving the extra money that the new mini retina went up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro