After waiting anxiously for this, and hot off the heels of getting an 5s on launch day, i must say that the Mini 2 has left me a little underwhelmed.
    Seriously? It has the same processor (and co-processor) and same high-res screen as your iPhone 5S - what is there to be underwhelmed about? ???
    10-24-2013 07:32 PM
    The retina display is not a big deal for > me <, at least not in regard to the iPad. I was content with the display of the iPad 2, and even more so with the iPad Mini. Since the display is a good deal smaller, it looks even more clearer. I read a lot with it, but not in the form of ebooks. I use my Kindle for that, but a good deal of my RSS feeds, Twitter, iMore forum and general webpage reading are done via my iPad Mini and I have no problems with it.
    That's about my opinion as well, but I do use my Mini for reading eBooks quite a bit. but for me, the display on the Mini is just fine... If I want hiDef, I'll go watch my 60 inch DLP TV..
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-24-2013 09:48 PM
    That's about my opinion as well, but I do use my Mini for reading eBooks quite a bit. but for me, the display on the Mini is just fine... If I want hiDef, I'll go watch my 60 inch DLP TV..
    That DLP TV of yours wouldn't happen to be a Mitsubishi would it?...
    10-24-2013 09:56 PM
    Retina mini is totally worth it for me. While I love my mini, the resolution never really was the best but I knew that... what I didn't know, was how iOS 7 would make that seem even worse. The fonts and such on the mini now look terrible in my opinion and I think a retina version will correct that, so it's worth it for me given how much I rely on my current mini.
    10-24-2013 11:40 PM
    If the iPad Mini with Retina only has a 16GB storage option then no, it's not worth it, as there is no SD external storage. And no, I'm not going to pay for iCloud storage to make up the difference. I already have a 16GB iPad that I have to keep deleting apps from to keep usable. I was considering the iPad mini w/Retina, but not if it's only going to be 16GB storage option available.
    10-25-2013 06:56 AM
    If the iPad Mini with Retina only has a 16GB storage option then no, it's not worth it, as there is no SD external storage. And no, I'm not going to pay for iCloud storage to make up the difference. I already have a 16GB iPad that I have to keep deleting apps from to keep usable. I was considering the iPad mini w/Retina, but not if it's only going to be 16GB storage option available.
    It comes in 16, 32, 64, or 128GB varieties. Starting at $399 with $100 increments for each bump of storage.
    This has nothing to do with iCloud storage which the vast majority of people will be fine with the 5GB that comes for free.
    JoyfulHeart35 and OTACORB like this.
    10-25-2013 07:14 AM
    This is my take on it. I love my iPad Mini, and I'm not going to upgrade. HOWEVER if I were choosing today I would opt to spend the extra 100, for the retina and beefier specs. BUT it's not enough to make me upgrade. Perhaps at Mini 3rd Gen!
    10-25-2013 10:08 AM
    I have been waiting for iPad Mini with Retina, since they launched the iPad Mini last year. This is the perfect size for an in-between device. I have an iPhone 5s and a MacBook Air 11" and getting an iPad mini 7.9" is perfect for me. I will be getting an iPad Mini with Retina Space Gray 64GB with LTE on Verizon. I figure getting this model will not be as difficult to get at launch.

Two years ago when iPad 2 launched, I did not order online and tried buying the iPad 2 the day of the launch and was not able. I stood in line on a Saturday after launch, no luck, Sunday after launch, no luck, the following Saturday, (4 hours in the rain) no luck, and finally two weeks after launch (4 hours in line again). I bought a iPad 2 16GB White wifi. I wanted the iPad 2 32GB black with LTE on Verizon, but I got desperate. Six months later, I sold it, because it wasn't the iPad i wanted. That was the last time I would stand in line to buy an Apple product. I only buy products online or when there is no lines.

Sorry for going off topic.
    JoyfulHeart35 and Just_Me_D like this.
    10-25-2013 12:15 PM
    It is worth it for me since I don't have a mini. If I had one already I don't know that I would upgrade. Hard to say. I really think it's a big bump up. It's not just the display. It's a big jump in specs. I'm going to wait and see but I will probably get one.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    10-25-2013 01:23 PM
    It would be worth the money if I didn't already have a mini with 15 months left on contract. Im sure the eventually temptation will kick in, but for now, Christmas will be where i spend my money.

Perhaps someone would like to give me one for xmas??
    10-25-2013 06:15 PM
    If I didn't own an iPad, it'd be worth it.

But I do, and so one has to stop upgrading early at some point.

Next year or the year after is the ticket. Maybe I'll even be able to get a refurbished iPad Mini with Retina... (The 128 GB version with LTE is what I have my eye on, for someday...)
    10-25-2013 07:35 PM
    Are you saying $300 for Retina Mini or the Mini 1. Reason I ask is that the stating price point for the new Mini with Retina is $400.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/24/ymude4ug.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    So then do you think under this price point would it not be fair to say to get the iPad Air at the $499.00 price point....A $100.00 more and a bigger pad??
    10-25-2013 11:12 PM
    So then do you think under this price point would it not be fair to say to get the iPad Air at the $499.00 price point....A $100.00 more and a bigger pad??
    What if you want portability? Then the Mini still wins.
    10-26-2013 06:42 PM
    People will say, "D, I can't believe you'd choose the iPad Mini over the iPad Mini with retina display", and I'd reply with, "That's incorrect. I'd pick the rMini over the Mini any day". The question, however, is whether or not a upgrading to the rMini is worth it, and in my regard, it is not. I have no visual problems or complaints with my current Mini, and it does everything I want and need it to do without a problem. Therefore, yes, the rMini is a better device, but no, it is not worth the upgrade from *my* current Mini.
    With making that statement it brings up and opens the perfect question for me....Knowing that I have told you I have given away my iPad 2 some time ago and have been without a pd for some time and miss it, Now I want to and need to look at a mini purely for monetary reasons. having said that, Would you suggest I go to the rmini even though a bit more money but with vast improvements or save the $100.00 difference and go with the original mini?

Assume for your answer all things are equal with me as you in seeing things on that size screen and your other reasons. Thanks for any help anyone else wants to chime in to help me as well.
    10-27-2013 02:19 PM
    Retina mini is totally worth it for me. While I love my mini, the resolution never really was the best but I knew that... what I didn't know, was how iOS 7 would make that seem even worse. The fonts and such on the mini now look terrible in my opinion and I think a retina version will correct that, so it's worth it for me given how much I rely on my current mini.
    Chis given the items that iOS 7 has such a larger fonts, Bold, Contrast and such do you not think that this would be enough using these features to compensate and help the fonts of the new OS?
    I am asking this so I myself has the opinions of others in the worth of saving the extra money that the new mini retina went up.
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    10-27-2013 02:30 PM
    What if you want portability? Then the Mini still wins.
    Yes and No that I feel personally both sizes are easy to carry around. The full size is not heavy like a laptop where you could make that argument but I would still lean to the mini.
    10-27-2013 08:41 PM
    With making that statement it brings up and opens the perfect question for me....Knowing that I have told you I have given away my iPad 2 some time ago and have been without a pd for some time and miss it, Now I want to and need to look at a mini purely for monetary reasons. having said that, Would you suggest I go to the rmini even though a bit more money but with vast improvements or save the $100.00 difference and go with the original mini?

Assume for your answer all things are equal with me as you in seeing things on that size screen and your other reasons. Thanks for any help anyone else wants to chime in to help me as well.
    I would definitely fork over the extra $100 and get the iPad Mini with retina display if I were in your position. Having said that, if you were using a non-retina iPad Mini, I'd say save your money and continue sung what you have if it filled your tablet needs, but since you don't and are in the market for a Mini, I recommend getting the latest versin.
    10-27-2013 09:20 PM
    I'd pay the extra $100 for it. All my mobile devices are high pixel density, and when I use one that isn't, it's noticeable, and feels...low tech, for lack of a better term. I know it isn't of course, and just a few years ago we were marveling at how great those screens looked. The retina displays just look better, and for me, that's enough to justify the extra $100. Maybe I'm just a ppi snob
    10-28-2013 01:01 AM
    really hard to say in advance. I'm gonna have to lift it up myself and see. I've been waiting for the mini2 very long, but I now see two obstacles that might actually make me not get it: 1) I dig my original iPad Mini still wayyy too much to just give it up... realistically it totally serves all purposes. and 2) the iPad Air coming this Friday already and due to its smaller size and weight all of a sudden intriguing me as well. Same here, I will have to inspect that one this weekend and then make up my mind. If I am to overcome both 1) and 2) it will be iPad Mini retina, if not... it's either staying with my old buddy or the Air.
    10-28-2013 03:30 AM
    The retina Mini advanced two generations not just one. A5 to a 64 bit A7 and M7 co-processor. In addition, it goes from the one of the worst screens on a 7" tablet to possibly the best screen that can be found on one. Then there's the other things such as improved cameras (improved sensor but otherwise same specs), double the RAM, and better LTE. The Mini 1 with its older processor already struggles with iOS 7 and will have even more problems with iOS 8 making for a limited useful life.

If we can justify paying an extra hundred to simply double the storage on mobile devices, then this 100 dollar difference is a nobrainer. Even for a child, I wouldn't consider the A5 Mini (unless you find a better refurb or used price). This is almost as bad a value as the ipad 2.

Sure, not everyone has that extra hundred to spend. But it doesn't mean they should get the worse product instead. I'd recommend waiting til that extra hundred can be budgeted in.
    10-28-2013 09:17 AM
    I personally wouldn't upgrade to the retina mini from my current mini, only because I'm extremely happy with it. If I were to upgrade though I would actually get an Air, because it fixed a lot of my gripes with the original iPads, hence why I got a mini.

I do think it's worth it though, not for the retina display, but the fact that it got that HUGE spec bump to bring it in line with the Air.
    10-28-2013 10:24 AM
    Yes, I think it's worth upgrading to an iPad mini with retina from an iPad mini. I will be jumping up two processor generations, getting a sharper resolution screen, 1GB ram (to stop the webpage refresh) and 128GB (twice my current memory).
    My ideal features in a new mini were retina screen, 128GB & bring the specs up in line with the larger iPad...everything on my wish list was granted. However, this then poses the issue of whether I still want a mini after the bigger iPad lost some size & weight. I think yes. I'm grabbing an Air on Friday for my husband & that will help me decide if I want that or the new mini. I'm leaning towards the new mini, but it is tempting to get an Air when it's in front of me rather than wait for a mini...especially when rumors also state that it could be hard to get at launch.
    Anyway, (I think) my plan is to get the iPad mini 2 to use as my main iPad, keep my iPad 3 at home for myself for movies & times I want a larger screen, get my husband the Air and upgrade my daughter's iPad from iPad 1 to my iPad mini.
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
    10-28-2013 09:48 PM
    It's in every way better than the original iPad Mini and there's really no question that its worth it for upgraders and first time users. However, if you just got the original iPad Mini within a few months, you will be hard pressed to really get a good percentage of your money back on a resale...
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    10-29-2013 06:45 AM
    Chis given the items that iOS 7 has such a larger fonts, Bold, Contrast and such do you not think that this would be enough using these features to compensate and help the fonts of the new OS?
    I am asking this so I myself has the opinions of others in the worth of saving the extra money that the new mini retina went up.
    For a lot of folks the original mini will be fine with iOS 7.. I'm not saying no one should ever purchase it, it's still great. For anyone looking to save some money, the original is ideal especially with the stuff iOS 7 has in there for adjustments of fonts and such. It's really just a 'me' thing. I noticed it and now i can't unsee it. I think for most people if they never used mini before iOS 7 and after iOS 7, they'll never really notice the difference and be just as happy with it as I was pre iOS 7.
    10-29-2013 08:58 PM
    Definitely. $70 isn't that much. Plus you're jumping up TWO generations of Apple processors and a much better screen. It's def worth it. Only thing I wish is that they would bump up the base model to at 32GB. Or at least 20. What is Apple's obsession with multiples of 8?
    10-30-2013 10:37 PM
65 123