Limit App Features

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all and happy new year.

My 9 year old daughter has an iPad mini for homework/learning apps, videos for road trips and to FaceTime family or me when I work nights and she wants to say goodnight but she has recently been given an App Store voucher and wants to start buying games.

She has a couple of games on there as well but nothing "proper" that keeps her going.

She has decided that she wants Minecraft at £4.99 which is fine however the app allows multiplayers which isn't so fine.

Is there a way to limit her access to multiplayer content and force offline play only?

If not I think I'll have to keep checking and make sure she is aware of the dangers of the web which she hasn't been told about yet.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I gather from the game's description, a player can play alone or with friends. Furthermore, it cost extra to play with friends, unless I misread it. With that in my, you can disable in-app purchases in the restrictions settings, thus preventing her from being able to multi-play.

IMG_0136.JPG

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Minecraft Pocket Edition app on my iPhone. I haven't played around with it much, so take with a grain of salt, but as far as I can tell, the multiplayer support in this game is limited to either LAN, Xbox Live, or servers that you specifically type into the "friends" tab. There isn't a browseable listing of public servers, and signing into Xbox Live is optional.

If she can't openly browse the web and learn of a server address that she can type in, then I'm betting she is unlikely to run across the general Minecraft playing public

Side note: I've not had a whole lot of luck with the touchscreen controls on this game, but your mileage may vary. I prefer hooking up an MFi controller. If you've got one of those, that might be easier.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both for the replies.

I've installed the app and continue to block in-app purchases as recommended.

She also wanted a game called Roblox which allowed you to type in names of other players and multiplay with them (mainly her cousins)

Think a bit of trust on my part at this early age will help a lot later on.

She hasn't complained about MC yet but I've got a controller on standby if she needs one.

Thanks again for the replies

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2