MY MISTAKE - the person must've inadvertently shared their photos with me, I did not see this because I never use the "Shared" button in OneDrive. In Outlook for iOS the shared folders appear as regular folders along with all other files and that's how I first saw these photos. My error. Moderators - I don't see how to change the topic title on he iPad, I'd want to edit the title to something less dramatic. User error
    Last edited by Amamba; 04-08-2015 at 01:56 PM.
    04-02-2015 11:11 AM
    Be happy you didn't get to see something you can never unsee...
    04-02-2015 11:15 AM
    The problem here is the fact that Microsoft let me see other people's stuff.

Since I use OneNote, does it mean that someone could technically access my OneNote data without having to provide my account password ? I password protect really sensitive data in file, but still, don't want people to browse freely through my home project stuff.
    04-02-2015 11:41 AM
    Did you report it to Microsoft?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮
    04-02-2015 02:08 PM
    Yes, using "help" function. No reply so far.
    04-02-2015 03:32 PM
    I never heard of anything like that. I'd be changing all my passwords.

04-02-2015 04:05 PM
    I never heard of anything like that. I'd be changing all my passwords.

This can't in any way be related to passwords. As I said, the "stray" folder wasn't showing up in OneDrive on desktop or on the iPad - it was only there in Outlook for iOS. I think Microsoft's internal system glitched somehow and connected it to someone else's folder (and from what I read, MS employees can access user's OneDrive files without need for password - it's even in their TOS).

Interestingly I still don't have any replies from them.

I suggest making this a sticky until there's some resolution from MS, I surely wouldn't even consider using Outlook or OneDrive for that matter knowing that my files could be up for grabs. Now I have to figure out a replacement for OneNote... too bad as I really liked it.

BTW I added the screenshot to my original post.
    Last edited by Amamba; 04-02-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    04-02-2015 10:22 PM
    This can't in any way be related to passwords. As I said, the "stray" folder wasn't showing up in OneDrive on desktop or on the iPad - it was only there in Outlook for iOS. I think Microsoft's internal system glitched somehow and connected it to someone else's folder (and from what I read, MS employees can access user's OneDrive files without need for password - it's even in their TOS).

Interestingly I still don't have any replies from them.

I suggest making this a sticky until there's some resolution from MS, I surely wouldn't even consider using Outlook or OneDrive for that matter knowing that my files could be up for grabs. Now I have to figure out a replacement for OneNote... too bad as I really liked it.

BTW I added the screenshot to my original post.
    I'm not too familiar with OneNote. I had it briefly but it was so big I deleted it. Does it have a public folder or some such that could have allowed a shared view or something. Maybe recheck all the settings and what not.

04-02-2015 11:59 PM
    Whatever setting I make in my account would (1) not let me see other people's private stuff and (2) apply to all OneDrive clients, not just Outlook for iOS. As I repeatedly said, OneDrive for iOS and OneDrive in browser did not have that folder.

No, this was a screw up on MS part, clearly their code that allowed linking Outlook for iOS to my OneDrive glitched somehow and linked a folder that wasn't supposed to be linked.
    04-03-2015 09:42 AM
    I'm not too familiar with OneNote. I had it briefly but it was so big I deleted it. Does it have a public folder or some such that could have allowed a shared view or something. Maybe recheck all the settings and what not.

If you go to the settings from within the OneNote app and then select "Accounts", you will see an option for "Connected Services". OneDrive is selected by default.
    04-03-2015 10:23 AM
    If you go to the settings from within the OneNote app and then select "Accounts", you will see an option for "Connected Services". OneDrive is selected by default.
    And OneDrive does have a shared file or folder. It might be that someway.?

04-03-2015 01:05 PM
    And OneDrive does have a shared file or folder. It might be that someway.?

No regular feature of OneDrive, working as intended, would allow me access to a stranger's folder regardless of what settings I used, and in only one of the many OneDrive applications on top of that. It's a glitch on server's end.

BTW, still no reply from MS. And the review I wrote on iTunes describing this problem was never posted.
    04-03-2015 04:52 PM
    No regular feature of OneDrive, working as intended, would allow me access to a stranger's folder regardless of what settings I used, and in only one of the many OneDrive applications on top of that. It's a glitch on server's end.

BTW, still no reply from MS. And the review I wrote on iTunes describing this problem was never posted.
    Try contacting MS on Twitter. I had great luck with an issue by contacting Comcast on Twitter.
    You never know!
    RESOLVED: User Error Outlook for iOS let me see someone else's private folder !-imageuploadedbytapatalk1428101983.702403.jpg

04-03-2015 06:59 PM
    Probably the user shared the folder with the wrong email address. I use it for work and personal and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-03-2015 07:27 PM

Did you try the online chat with Microsoft?
    04-03-2015 11:21 PM
    No, I sent them a support request. I don't know where to chat with them and honestly don't expect an honest answer from whomever will chat with me. Most likely they won't know what is going on.

Let me make it clear - my post was not a question on how to fix Outlook for iOS on my tablet. What happened made me question the security of using OneDrive and OneNote and I wanted to warn others. I have been using OneNote for about a year, transferred all of my Evernote records, and now I'm not sure I can trust it. I couldn't care less about OneDrive, I far prefer Dropbox anyway, but OneNote was important.
    04-04-2015 12:16 AM
    No, I sent them a support request. I don't know where to chat with them and honestly don't expect an honest answer from whomever will chat with me. Most likely they won't know what is going on.

Let me make it clear - my post was not a question on how to fix Outlook for iOS on my tablet. What happened made me question the security of using OneDrive and OneNote and I wanted to warn others. I have been using OneNote for about a year, transferred all of my Evernote records, and now I'm not sure I can trust it. I couldn't care less about OneDrive, I far prefer Dropbox anyway, but OneNote was important.
    There are risks involved when using any cloud service. The majority of people do not experience problems but it does happen. Switching to another provider doesn't guarantee problem free service. The best thing to do is to notify the service provider just like you did.
    zerog46 likes this.
    04-04-2015 12:40 AM
    There are risks involved when using any cloud service. The majority of people do not experience problems but it does happen. Switching to another provider doesn't guarantee problem free service. The best thing to do is to notify the service provider just like you did.
    The problem that I see here is the nature of Onenote, while I can password protect individual sections, it's impossible to password protect the entire file.

So if anyone accidentally gets linked to the folder containing my Onenote file, they should be able to read it at leisure. Now I don't keep really sensitive info in it, but still...

Evernote was rumored to have been randomly losing user's data, which is why I switched to Onenote (that, and I really like the program on PC).

So yes, no cloud based solution is perfect, but I'd rather lose my data than have it accessed by an unknown person(s).

Services like Box have a fairly well proven security record, but then you lose the advance search ability...
    04-04-2015 12:16 PM