App Showdown: ScrapPad vs. ScrapBook

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
ScrapPad ? Scrapbook for iPad vs. ScrapBook ? Tell Your Story

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scrappad-scrapbook-for-ipad/id353143273?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]ScrapPad[/URL] $4.99 (iPad), by Album tArt
[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scrapbook-tell-your-story/id513377910?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]ScrapBook[/URL] $9.99 (iPad), by Left Coast Logic

I don?t do ?scrapbooking? but I know some people that do. You can?t really take a napkin from the restaurant where you met your wife and put it in the iPad, but you can create a digital scrap book to preserve memories. Here I look at two digital scrapbooking apps ? ScrapPad and ScrapBook ? to see how they compare to each other. Note, these may not be the best scrapbooking apps, they just happen to be two that I looked at. I apologize in advance for the scrapbook demos that I created - there is a reason this is not by strong suit!

Photo May 20, 2 16 18 PM.png
Figure 1 - The user interface of ScrapBook leaves a little to be desired

User interface: ScrapPad starts off much more vividly, more colorfully than the ScrapBook app. Overall, ScrapPad seems much easier to use. It is a little more intuitive to create a new book, to add pages, and to add information to the pages. ScrapBook had a slightly steeper learning curve (even when just trying to add a picture or text). ScrapPad?s interface seemed formatted for the app itself. The Scrapbook interface when actually creating a book, on the other hand, seems more similar to a standard iOS interface.

Photo May 20, 2 13 48 PM.jpg
Figure 2 - the user interface of ScrapPad seems a little more intuitive, and the app seems "brighter" overall.

Content: Both apps allow for the important of pictures and stickers. They both allow for colored backgrounds, but ScrapPad has textures and patterns, and includes borders that you can put on your page. ScrapBook simply has default colors. ScrapPad includes a variety of ?scrapbook kits? that may also include backgrounds, embellishments, and borders. There are some kits that even includes things like hats, costumes, numbers, etc. ScrapBook has the ability to type notes (even record sounds or include reminders) and import maps. Text entry on ScrapBook is a little more difficult however. One thing that ScrapBook allows you to do is extensively edit your photos - you can crop them ,adjust the tone, apply a filter, remove red-eye, remove blemishes, and more. In ScrapPad, you can simply put the photo in. Both apps allow you to rotate and resize the photos.

Photo May 20, 2 18 02 PM.png
Figure 3 - ScrapBook allows you to import maps, along with stamps and photos

In-App purchases: Both apps include the option to purchase additional ?kits? for $0.99, although ScrapPad has many more available. These kits will allow you to use new stamps and backgrounds, and come with themes like ?England? and ?Summer?. While they both come with a number of styles, backgrounds, and stickers, ScrapPad has more initial options to choose from, meaning if you don?t want to use in-app purchases, you will have more choice with ScrapPad.

Photo May 20, 2 13 53 PM.jpg
Figure 4 - Both apps have in-app purchases to buy more "kits" for $0.99 each. This image is from ScrapPad.

Exporting scrapbooks: In ScrapPad, you have the option to use a print store to actually print your book (for a cost), print it yourself, email it, and send it to Facebook. In ScrapBook you have to option to either email it or send it to Facebook.

Photo May 20, 2 13 41 PM.png
Figure 5 - ScrapPad allows for more editing of fonts and text, while ScrapBook allows you to edit photos within the app.

In the end: They are both a reasonable digital scrapbook, allowing you to catalog pictures. I really like the map import option with ScrapBook, as location may be a critical component to memory. But what are you really looking for in a digital scrapbook app? A digital scrap book that make use of digital features? If so, then ScrapBook may be for you, with the ability to add sound and reminders, and even edit photos in app (as opposed to using a third party photo editor). But if you are looking for a general scrapbook-type app, I would recommend ScrapPad. It has more features, seems easier to use, and allows you more options for doing something with the scrapbooks you create. The option to actually print your books means that you can have the technophobe relative still relive the memories with you.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that ? opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner