Google Maps 2.0 hits the App Store, brings new iPad design: Via iMore Blog

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
[h=1]Google Maps 2.0 hits the App Store, brings new iPad design[/h]It seems after reading this article written by our own Rene Ritchie that the new Google Apps 2.0 is less than stellar nor the Apple maps mentioned, As Rene mentions what the heck...It is free and with everyone as I agree that like mapping apps it is worth the upgrade. I will be installing it and give it a shot to see what I think. In the meantime install the new version and see for yourself.

Google Maps 2.0 hits the App Store, brings new iPad design, live traffic, and new Explore mode | iMore.com

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It's a solid upgrade. Google Maps was already the best mapping app available for iOS, and this just builds on that.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a solid upgrade. Google Maps was already the best mapping app available for iOS, and this just builds on that.

I may give it a try. Not sure yet...;)....Apple Maps have been all I've needed for a while now.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I should add that I already have Google Maps installed so this would of course by me installing simply be an upgrade to try out. I generally get by with Apple maps which suits me fine. I don't mind having a backup though.

jwalker007

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm disappointed in this update. It's very jerky as it navigates on an iPhone 5. Didn't do it yesterday before the update. Not as smooth as Apple Maps. Just wish Apple Maps was as accurate.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe in your world... not in mine.

I would say over 50% of the time, I search for something in Apple Maps and I get the no matching items message. Everything I search for in Google Maps, it gives me exactly what I'm looking for. Apple has a beautiful app, but they have a huge problem with data points.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
THat is the reason I try and bring over articles from the iMore Blog so we can open communication like this. THere is no right or wrong, only preference and conversation. :)

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you see the explore page with the specific items like what shows on the video? I see the same small boring pictures under my history like the silverware, coffee cup, wine glass, etc. Doesn't look any different than prior to the update.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I would say over 50% of the time, I search for something in Apple Maps and I get the no matching items message. Everything I search for in Google Maps, it gives me exactly what I'm looking for. Apple has a beautiful app, but they have a huge problem with data points.

Agree, no map has the kind of info Google has... yet, Apple maps could be enough for many people and that's totally fine, but Google rules in maps.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe in your world... not in mine.

In my case, Google has been consistently better. It doesn't show half of a subdivision missing like in Apple Maps.

Obviously kch50428 has better experiences with Apple Maps then me, so it must depend on where you live.

I really WANT to like Apple Maps, but just not at the point of trusting their accuracy yet. I do hope they improve.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The only issues I've ever experienced with Apple Maps are the same one's I've seen with Google... or MapQuest on the web... or my Garmin Nuvi765T... Many of the things people complain about being wrong with Apple Maps are also wrong on other platforms.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The only issues I've ever experienced with Apple Maps are the same one's I've seen with Google... or MapQuest on the web... or my Garmin Nuvi765T... Many of the things people complain about being wrong with Apple Maps are also wrong on other platforms.

I'm idly curious where you live where you don't have any issues. I live on the outskirts of Kansas City in a semi-rural town. The subdivision referenced earlier is semi-new, but was complete as long as we've lived here (2 years). It's almost as if Apple is using really old data for some of their mapping areas. What's stranger still is that their satellite view shows the entire neighborhood, but the standard view removes half the roads. I don't get it.

It's little irksome stuff like that, and not being able to find a skyscraper in Lower Manhattan because it doesn't know the difference between Pl=Place and Pl=Plaza, that drive me nuts.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm idly curious where you live where you don't have any issues. I live on the outskirts of Kansas City in a semi-rural town. The subdivision referenced earlier is semi-new, but was complete as long as we've lived here (2 years). It's almost as if Apple is using really old data for some of their mapping areas. What's stranger still is that their satellite view shows the entire neighborhood, but the standard view removes half the roads. I don't get it.

It's little irksome stuff like that, and not being able to find a skyscraper in Lower Manhattan because it doesn't know the difference between Pl=Place and Pl=Plaza, that drive me nuts.

I'm between Des Moines & Minneapolis... And have traveled into SW Wisconsin, rural Amish country with Apple Maps and it performed every bit as good as my Gamin Nuvi every time. The thing of not knowing the difference between Place and Plaza using "Pl" as an abbreviation can happen on any platform - as well as missing roads in a subdivision - that happens on even Garmin Nuvi maps... what you do when you find issues is report them... and they will eventually get fixed. Nature of the beast.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm between Des Moines & Minneapolis... And have traveled into SW Wisconsin, rural Amish country with Apple Maps and it performed every bit as good as my Gamin Nuvi every time. The thing of not knowing the difference between Place and Plaza using "Pl" as an abbreviation can happen on any platform - as well as missing roads in a subdivision - that happens on even Garmin Nuvi maps... what you do when you find issues is report them... and they will eventually get fixed. Nature of the beast.

You know what? You just inspired me to take action. I just sent an error report to Apple about the missing neighborhood and the fact that it cannot find 1 Battery Park Plaza (a tall skyscraper in Manhattan). I'm curious to see how long it takes for them to fix it, but at least I'm trying! :D

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I've sent three reports to Apple , never got an answer. About 4 reports to Google, they've responded to all of them and fixed two reports I made within a week.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I find that Google maps more reliable that Apple Maps for directions.
Neither is as reliable as my in-dash nav system.

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711