Paper vs Procreate: Which iPad drawing app do you like better?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Paper has a clean, gesture based UI but very little manual control.

Procreate has a good old fashion button and chrome UI but good control.

Which do you like better and why?

(Batman drawn in Paper, Spidey in Procreate)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marc Edwards

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Paper to show off the iPad. Procreate to get serious business done. Maybe.

I like Bamboo Paper for rough UI sketches. Art Rage is also great, as are Brushes and SketchBook Pro (Brushes used to be my go-to app for this kind of thing). I guess it depends how arty you want to get, and which features are important to you. Things like not being able to choose a custom colour in Paper makes it pretty hard to recommend over Procreate for those doing more than rough sketches.

We're completely and absolutely spoilt. So many great apps to choose from.

Last edited:

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This is frustrating for me as I'm new to the iPad:

I read the Paper review the other day and bought it (I also bought Noteshelf and Notability based on Leanna's review recently). Your headline read, in part, "...the best way to get what's in your head onto the screen." Now I see you comparing Paper to other apps not mentioned in the Paper review (the way Leanna's Noteshelf, Notability, and Remarks review did).

New to this all, I have never heard of Procreate (or the others mentioned by the previous poster, Marc). Therefore, I'd like to request that reviews mention competing apps--if not a full review, then at least a mention. Yes, I know we're responsible for what we buy etc., but how about a little context for such a glowing review if you're going to come right back and qualify what you wrote? After all, you guys are supposed to be the experts spending time keeping track of all that's IOS so we don't have to do it so much, yes?!

Thanks.

(And, yes, Marc is right: we ARE all quite spoiled!)

Winwintoo

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I found this forum and this thread based on a google for "procreate iPad app forum"

I draw Zentangles and recently started drawing them on my iPad. I have dozens of drawing apps, but my favorite is procreate for lots of reasons. But, if we want to talk about "workflow", I actually use more than one app in the creation of one drawing.

I was hoping to find a forum devoted to making art on an iPad. A forum that would embrace a number of apps and where we could talk about how we overcome app limitations by using other apps, how we achieve various effects, etc.

Does anyone know of such a forum?

Thanks, margaret

graigsmith

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Procreate by far. Layers and zooming are amazing. Paper feels like real paper, the problems with that is that it retains many of the same limitations, no layers, destructive editing. Procreate feels limitless in comparison. Tools are adjustable. Create new brushes, with different opacity. Use different layers. Different blend modes. It's really like having photoshop on your tablet. You can export procreate files to the computer for backup. Procreate is the most responsive drawing app by far also. It responds to taps if you want to make a bunch of dots real quick. It correctly tracks where your finger goes. If you wiggle your finger slightly you will see the same wiggle in your line. Fantastic app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2