Personal hotspot

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to stream a movie purchased through iTunes on an iPad without the data connection through tethering through my phone's personal hotspot and it is saying I need to be connected to wifi. I can't figure out why apple would not let you use your cell data if you want to. I can stream all the Netflix, HBO, Hulu, etc. I want through this method but not the movies I spent money on through apple? Is there a way I can do this I am not figuring out?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This has been that way for a long time, unfortunately. I believe the limit is 100MB? You'll need to download it when you're on wifi if you wan't have access to wifi in order to watch it.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This has been that way for a long time, unfortunately. I believe the limit is 100MB? You'll need to download it when you're on wifi if you wan't have access to wifi in order to watch it.

This is pretty unfortunate and a surprising move by Apple considering all the competition with how, where, when and in what circumstances people are watching content these days. This leads me to another question. I went to delete videos in my camera role from my iPad to free up space and noticed there were a ton in there brought over by the cloud from what I took on my phone. Consider the large amount of storage my camera roll is taking up on my iPad it seems like the videos and Picts are actually on my device versus just in cloud (since I don't take Picts with my iPad). Is this really the case? Also, when I went to delete the video from the iPad it said it would delete from iCloud Photo Library on all devices but if I then go to my phone it wasn't deleting. Where is this actually deleting from and will it free up space on my iPad? I feel Apple is making this more confusing that it needs to be. There should be an option to delete from device but not cloud or both.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This is pretty unfortunate and a surprising move by Apple considering all the competition with how, where, when and in what circumstances people are watching content these days. This leads me to another question. I went to delete videos in my camera role from my iPad to free up space and noticed there were a ton in there brought over by the cloud from what I took on my phone. Consider the large amount of storage my camera roll is taking up on my iPad it seems like the videos and Picts are actually on my device versus just in cloud (since I don't take Picts with my iPad). Is this really the case? Also, when I went to delete the video from the iPad it said it would delete from iCloud Photo Library on all devices but if I then go to my phone it wasn't deleting. Where is this actually deleting from and will it free up space on my iPad? I feel Apple is making this more confusing that it needs to be. There should be an option to delete from device but not cloud or both.

iCloud Photo Library manages the library itself, and will store some items locally and optimizes how much space is used, keeping smaller "reference" photos on the device with full-res in iCloud. As space is needed, it will free itself up.

Here's Apple's page on how it works: iCloud - Photos - Apple

If you really want to delete them, without getting rid of them for good, you can turn off iCloud Photo Library on your iPad. Otherwise you're right - it will delete them everywhere as really it's just a reference to what's available on iCloud.