I just got an original Ipad Air a few days ago and wanted to attach a USB to transfer files from my computer and expand memory, but from what I understand the USB has to be powered? What USB stick and adapter would you recommend?
    11-24-2015 09:13 PM
    Welcome to iMore! Are you trying to use a thumb drive to expand the memory in a computer or an iPad? If using on an iPad then you will need one that is powered and has a lightning connector. You'll also need to install whatever companion app comes with that device. Using a computer, pretty much any USB thumb drive should do.
    You may also want to look into a cloud solution like Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive. There is no additional equipment to purchase and connect and cloud solutions are generally more convenient IMHO.
    11-24-2015 09:38 PM
    You need to consider what type of files you want to transfer. Last time I checked, the only files you could transfer directly between your iPad and a USB device where image files from the Photos app.

With IOS there is no common file system like on a PC or a Mac. Each app has it's own private space for files. You might also want to look at using iTunes on your computer for transferring files via USB.
    11-24-2015 10:36 PM
    Yeah I have cloud storage but my internet is slow so I wanted to transfer the file that aren't already in the cloud straight to the ipad.
    11-24-2015 10:48 PM
    Yeah I know about iTunes the last time I used iTunes was a zillion years ago and all my files ended up being duplicated in the app ate up my storage so I was trying to avoid that. Does it still work the same?
    11-24-2015 10:53 PM
    You need to consider what type of files you want to transfer. Last time I checked, the only files you could transfer directly between your iPad and a USB device where image files from the Photos app.

With IOS there is no common file system like on a PC or a Mac. Each app has it's own private space for files. You might also want to look at using iTunes on your computer for transferring files via USB.
    Good point. File transfers are limited to music, photos and videos.
    11-25-2015 09:43 AM