For some reason, I cannot send a message to A NON iOS user on my iPad. I can with my iPhone 6.... Any solution?
    10-14-2014 06:39 PM
    it isn't fully rolled out- I hear that the beta out now works with it so that you can send to non iOS users
    10-14-2014 06:48 PM
    When will it function?
    10-14-2014 07:07 PM
    For some reason, I cannot send a message to A NON iOS user on my iPad. I can with my iPhone 6.... Any solution?
    Since iMessages are for Apple devices only, anything text messages to a non-Apple device would be SMS, and they cannot be sent via the iPad. Now when Yosemite is released and you have iOS 8 installed then you should be able to do what you're currently trying to do.

https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/
    10-14-2014 07:24 PM
    Didn't think I could get Yosemti on my iPad Air
    10-14-2014 07:28 PM
    Didn't think I could get Yosemti on my iPad Air
    OS X Yosemite is for the Mac.
    10-14-2014 07:36 PM
    The function you are asking about is continuity. It will work by connecting your phone number on your phone to your iMessage email address. It won't be fully functional until iOS 8.1 is released later this week. It should work as expected right now with Yosemite on a Mac and with the iOS 8.1 beta.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-14-2014 08:04 PM
    And for the record it works great with iOS 8.1
    TurboTiger and nikkisharif like this.
    10-14-2014 08:38 PM
    I'm talking messaging non iOS users on my iPad Air.
    10-14-2014 10:56 PM
    Well you can't do that directly because the iPad only supports cellular data not voice and SMS which would be needed to send text messages to non iOS users.
    However as mentioned above, with Continuity you will be able to send SMS with your iPad provided your iPhone is nearby. Continuity will essentially relay the SMS thru the iPhone even though you are using the iPad.
    10-14-2014 11:01 PM
    Well you can't do that directly because the iPad only supports cellular data not voice and SMS which would be needed to send text messages to non iOS users.
    However as mentioned above, with Continuity you will be able to send SMS with your iPad provided your iPhone is nearby. Continuity will essentially relay the SMS thru the iPhone even though you are using the iPad.
    What she said (^^^^^^)
    10-14-2014 11:04 PM
    Ya Bluetooth is great lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-14-2014 11:27 PM
    What she said (^^^^^^)
    Incorrect, once 8.1 is out, you will be able to send and receive sms from your ipad as long as your phone is available on the same wifi network as your ipad
    10-16-2014 03:56 PM
    Incorrect, once 8.1 is out, you will be able to send and receive sms from your ipad as long as your phone is available on the same wifi network as your ipad
    If you had bothered to read the entrire thread, you would have seen posts stating that it would all be possible via the continuity feature once iOS 8.1 is released.

Also, Karen stated that "you can't do that directly because the iPad only supports cellular data not voice and SMS", which is factually correct. Even with iOS 8.1, the iPads will be incapable of sending an SMS in and of themselves. That’s why Continuity is necessary.
    phreddyl likes this.
    10-16-2014 04:11 PM
    The function you are asking about is continuity. It will work by connecting your phone number on your phone to your iMessage email address. It won't be fully functional until iOS 8.1 is released later this week. It should work as expected right now with Yosemite on a Mac and with the iOS 8.1 beta.
    Will this work even if you don't own am iPhone and an android device for your phone?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-17-2014 10:44 PM
    Will this work even if you don't own am iPhone and an android device for your phone?

No. It requires iCloud and iMessage to work.
    10-17-2014 10:54 PM
    No. It requires iCloud and iMessage to work.
    Aww wished I could use this feature on my iPad

10-17-2014 10:59 PM
    Aww wished I could use this feature on my iPad

Download and use mysms as your main texting app on your phone and then download it on your iPad. Works for me.
    That's what I use when I'm using my android and my iPad air. Its free and as long as your phone is on the same WiFi network as your iPad it works fine. May take a few seconds longer to send a message rather than picking up your phone but it works.
    10-20-2014 01:37 AM
    This is strange because it's been working for months - I was able to send non iOS Users messages and pictures from the iPad. Now it's not working.
    03-12-2015 11:59 AM
    This is strange because it's been working for months - I was able to send non iOS Users messages and pictures from the iPad. Now it's not working.
    I'm having the same issue.
    This stated about a month ago.
    Can't send SMS from my WiFi iPad Air any longer to non iOS users.
    No problems from my iPhone 5S & MacBook Air
    I've checked all settings. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    TIA
    03-14-2015 01:09 PM
    Try turning of Message on the iPad - and then go through the process to set it up again, and set it up so it is associated with your iPhone's phone number.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349
    03-14-2015 01:16 PM
    Try turning of Message on the iPad - and then go through the process to set it up again, and set it up so it is associated with your iPhone's phone number.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349
    Tks for your reply Keith,
    Unfortunately, that didn't work.
    BtW: this started happening around the time I was required to set up 2-step verification on iMessage & Face Tine on my iPad Air. But it might haved stated before that.
    Any other ideas?
    TIA
    03-14-2015 01:29 PM
    If it's a 2 factor authentication thing... try signing out of iMessage & FaceTime on all devices - then turn off Message & FaceTime on all devices - reboot 'em - and turn on and sign in again on everything.
    TurboTiger likes this.
    03-14-2015 01:57 PM
    Because SMS messaging is a part of the VOICE service. Since your iPad has no voice service (no "phone" function), it won't work. The only way is to use the continuity feature where the SMS is actually sent by your phone.
    03-14-2015 02:14 PM
    If it's a 2 factor authentication thing... try signing out of iMessage & FaceTime on all devices - then turn off Message & FaceTime on all devices - reboot 'em - and turn on and sign in again on everything.
    OK I did all of that on all 3 devices.
    Was successful signing in on iPhone 5S and MacBook Air but when trying to enter the App specific password on my iPad Air, I continue to get the message "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again."

Connection is fine. Remember, the iPad iMessage was having the issues in the first place.
    Any other suggestion?
    TIA
    03-14-2015 03:58 PM
28 12