Is it worth it to have both an iPad and an iPhone?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Until December 2013, I just owned an iPhone and a MacBook Pro laptop. I started out with the 4S, then the 5, and now the 5s. I've had my MBP since October 2010, and I plan on replacing it this fall with a 15" 2.3 GHz. I am also interested in the iPhone 6, especially the 5.5" version.

The iPad Air is my first iPad. I find that in many ways it overlaps with the iPhone 5s. Both are fast devices, but optimally the next time I upgrade devices, I will plan on just having a MacBook Pro laptop and an iPhone.

What do you all think? Do you like your current setup with an iPad, iPhone, and Mac laptop or desktop?

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Have the MBA,iPhone 5s and iPad 4. Do tend to use the MBA more, but there is times when using the iPad for me is easier. Think after IOS 8 all will connected more.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Depending on your needs, having an iPad may be unnecessary. In my regard, I own a MacBook (early 2009), an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5. The iPad Mini is, without a doubt, the least used, and has become more of a gaming machine for my youngest son. If I was a college student or something, things may be different for me, but I'm not. Again, it depends on your needs.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2012 MBP that replaced my 2010 MBA. I have the iPad Air that replaced my iPad 2 and my iPhone 5s that replaced the 5.

Like others have said, it depends on your needs, I travel a lot and love the portability and the ease of carrying the ipad over the MBP. At first I was leery of traveling with am "iPhone on steroids" instead of a true laptop but I got over that quickly after my first trip without the MacBook.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5S and an iPad Air. I think the two devices complement each other well. I use my phone when I am out and about and use the Air when I'm at home or at work. I have my Air hooked up to a Logitech Ultraslim keyboard and it really makes it a more versatile device. I also use my Air as a gaming device, watching movies, reading books, and for work.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
2013 MBA, iPhone 5s, iPad Air.

It works. I'd say given that you already have an iPad, it's worth it to keep it.

Is it worth upgrading it? Probably not -- I use mine to watch movies and to read books. The iPad Air is plenty good for that and likely will be for another few years.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think it's worth it. Having both gives you the unique characteristics of each device, and the functionality is great. Having all three types of devices is good, and with iOS 8, it will only get better and more integrated.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I love having both. I use my phone for texting and phone calls of course, as well as social media. I use my iPad to browse Tapatalk, watch YouTube and Netflix, as well as play a couple games. It's a perfect combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
When I had an iPhone, (I also have MBA, iPad and iTouch) I found use for all my devices:
Phone for obvious reasons, MBA mostly at home, iPad on the go for screen real estate, though my iTouch did take a bit of a back seat.

Today, I have a Blackberry Q10, a MBA, an iPad Air and an iTouch, all of which I use fully.
My MBA is still my home device, my Q10 is fantastic but sometimes I really need those apps, my iPad has LTE and that's my device of choice when I'm on the road, and my iTouch is now more in use, for portability, all I need is to fire up a hotspot from one of my other devices and I'm good.

So no, I'm not making your decision any easier... :p

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it is. Although they do the same thing, the iPad is more useful for watching videos, reading magazines, comics and books, whereas the iPhone is more portable due to it's small size so you can just whip it out anywhere you and use it.

I have a Samsung galaxy S5, iPad Air and iPod touch 5th gen. I use them all but I suppose it's the iPod touch that I use the least but it's still a valuable product for me.

Sent from my iPad

F0REVERY0UNG-

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a MBP, iPad Air (and Mini Retina, I couldn't choose), and an iPhone 5s. I have to be honest, since I got my iPad Air, which is my first iPad, in November I've had to force myself to use my MBP. I think it's definitely worth having an iPad with an iPhone, there are some things that are just more comfortable to do on a larger screen. I'm curious if the lines will be blurred once the larger screen iPhone 6 is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Depending on your needs, having an iPad may be unnecessary. In my regard, I own a MacBook (early 2009), an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5. The iPad Mini is, without a doubt, the least used, and has become more of a gaming machine for my youngest son. If I was a college student or something, things may be different for me, but I'm not. Again, it depends on your needs.

I agree (once again) with you for the most part, it's all about needs. OP you don't need someone to convince you of what you need (which seems to me that's kinna what you are doing now). If you see, that for your personal taste, needs and uses the iPad is not necessary then sell it and put that money towards the new MBP you want to buy. The iPad is not a must have device, it has a purpose for many people, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

I, for instance have an iPhone 5, rMBP and just updated my iPad 3rd gen (which I loved!) with a rMini for convenience. The iPad has a purpose and that is mostly to read books, study material handle lots of pdf's, review, highlight etc + my stylus; that for me is easier and more comfy than to have to carry all those books around in my bag pack, and also some occasional gaming, but that is me.

My advice is if you don't need it, if it doesn't have a purpose/use in your current setting, then sell it to someone who does and don't let such a good machine accumulate dust unnecessarily :)

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I've always had an iPhone and an iMac. Earlier in the year, my Wife and I acquired an iPad Air (present from the kids!).

Now that the novelty has worn off, I still use the iPhoneand iMac for 99% of the time and my wife uses the iPad mainly for checking the weather and watching the news on iPlayer!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have iPhone 5 and first gen iPad mini and this November, I will be buying MBA 13" and until then, my iPad mini will be used alot. Once MBA comes, I highly doubt my iPad mini will be of any use.

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Currently I have iPhone 5 and first gen iPad mini and this November, I will be buying MBA 13" and until then, my iPad mini will be used alot. Once MBA comes, I highly doubt my iPad mini will be of any use.

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

What do you use your mini for mostly?

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Until we get some sort of future tech where I can get my phone to expand to a 9+ inch screen when I need it to, I'll be wanting an iPad. Smartphones are great and do tons of useful stuff but a lot of those tasks (playing games, watching movies, doing work) I definitely want a larger screen for. I've tried phones, phablets, mini tablets, and full size tablets and the larger tablets are definitely the best for actually being productive.

Now iPad vs Macbook is a bit more debatable. iOS has a cleaner and more efficient environment IMO but is not as open on the software side and is less useful for multitasking. IMO iOS is ideal for content consumption and very, very adequate for basic office/school work but for more heavy duty work (presentations, spreadsheets, film and photo, etc.) OS X is probably going to be the better environment for you. There are several types of software that I wish my iPad could use (mainly emulators) but it can still serve as a very effective laptop replacement if you wish.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Have a MacBook 2011 17" which is for productivity and massive download of movies, software, documentation.
Ipad mini retina which is for browsing forums, social sites, safari, reading documentation I place in drop box from the MacBook, doing whatsapp, viber, iMessages FaceTime, when not on the move. Some gaming and more importantly, massive note taking using notability and awesomeNotes.
iPhone for phone call, gsm SMS, viber FaceTime, whatsapp (when on the move) and using it as my primary camera photo and video with photo stream enable in order to later edit share photos from ipad or iPhone.

With continuity coming soon with ios 8, having all 3 devices will be a win specially now that all OSX are free. Icloud will be great this time, and you will be able to receive phone calls on your MacBook and on your ipad same as iMessages and voice messages and more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 GSM 64Gb and an iPhone 5s 32Gb.

The iPad is perhaps my most used gadget. If I am away from my computer but still at home and need to look something up on 'teh intermanetz', or if I am going into London on the train (about 90 minutes away), I will take my iPad with me so I can read or surf the net whilst travelling. It's easier than using the phone in most instances.

when I go back to California this fall, I fully intend on getting a new MBA if Apple decides to implement one with a Retina display.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW