Hello all, I just bought an Apple IPad Air. I've always been a PC/Laptop person but got a really Great deal on this IPad, $489' zero taxes plus $100 gift card, so basically got it for $389. I love it but have a few questions I think you all would be able to help me with.
    1. Can I hook up an external device to my IPad? I go geocaching and own a GPS unit I have to download files onto in order to find the geocaches. Normally I would just plug in my USB cable to my laptop and transfer the file to my GPS but there is no USB on the IPad.
    2. Kinda goes along with the first, how can I transfer my music onto my IPad?
    3. Is there a way to expand the storage space?
    4. What if I'm traveling and don't have Wi-Fi, how can I get connected if my hotel only offered wired connection?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Russell
    Last edited by RADDBUS; 05-25-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    05-25-2014 06:38 PM
    Hey Russell,

First of all welcome to the Apple family! As for your questions, I will try to answer them as best as possible.

1. I am not super familiar with most newer GPS units but I don't think you will be able to use the iPad to update it.
    2. To get music onto it depends on what "ecosystem" you are in. If you have an extensive library of music that you bought either on CD, Google Play, Amazon, etc. and don't purchase from iTunes you will need to load them via iTunes from a PC or Mac. If you've bought everything from iTunes you can restore from the cloud via the music app.
    3. Storage space cannot be expanded by traditional means of removing the internal flash and replacing it with anything larger. I don't know what storage size you purchased but depending on what all apps you get into and how much media you keep with you, storage size is a hard decision to make when buying because you have try to estimate how much you'll need. This is hard for first time buyers that don't have experience to work from. I am on my fourth iPad and have gone up on storage capacity almost every time. Otherwise, I highly recommend using cloud services to dump photos and videos onto unless you can stay tied to your computer. Some third party companies have also made adapters to plug into the lighting port that will accommodate SD cards and other removable storage but this will not help you hold more apps.
    4. Unfortunately Wifi or tethering to an iPhone is going to be your only other solution.

For many of the things you are talking about and needing we are unfortunately going to still be tied to computers for many things. I would like to see more third parties make more adapters for the lightening port that will allow USB connections to thinks like GPS units, expandable storage, CD/DVD/Blueray drives, and even ethernet connections. I hope all of this helps!
    05-25-2014 09:44 PM
    Thanks Brian, it all helps but as to question 1, I don't need to update anything that I know of, I have to load a pocket query that has the coordinates to find geocaches. Currently, I make to query on-line, then plug my GPS into my computer via the USB cable than load them onto it. If I purchase a lightning flash to USB, like this one, http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...84.m1423.l2649, will this allow my GPS to communicate with my IPad to download them onto it?
    Last edited by RADDBUS; 05-26-2014 at 12:48 AM.
    05-25-2014 10:01 PM
    It's entirely possible. I would check with the vendor to make sure. You might also check with your GPS' manufacturer also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-26-2014 01:04 AM
    Thanks Brian, it all helps but as to question 1, I don't need to update anything that I know of, I have to load a pocket query that has the coordinates to find geocaches. Currently, I make to query on-line, then plug my GPS into my computer via the USB cable than load them onto it. If I purchase a lightning flash to USB, like this one, http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...84.m1423.l2649, will this allow my GPS to communicate with my IPad to download them onto it?
    No, GPS units have software programs made for either Windows and/or Mac that are specifically designed for updating GPS units. Some GPS manufacturers have apps available in the app store but those are navigation apps and will not allow you to update a GPS unit.

You will continue to need a computer to update your GPS unit.

Sent from my Bambo and Orange Moto X
    05-26-2014 01:23 AM
    Thank you for you input but as I mentioned earlier, I'm not trying to update the firmware or the software. I'm trying to load a file on it, also called waypoints, in the form of GPX. I'm using a Garmin Montana 650T hand held unit, https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...prod75228.html .I use it for Geocaching.
    Last edited by RADDBUS; 05-26-2014 at 03:18 AM.
    05-26-2014 02:38 AM
    Use the Geocaching app on your iPad. You can save your Pocket Queries for "offline use" on the app an then access them that way. You can't physically connect the Montana to the iPad.

Alternately, there are app that will read GPX files on the iPad. They probably will not give you all the details that the Geocaching app will. You would need to email the GPX files to yourself on the iPad.
    05-26-2014 07:44 AM
    Hi Russell, ahmm you cant expand the memory of you ipad.
    05-26-2014 09:05 AM
    Hey Russell,

First of all welcome to the Apple family! As for your questions, I will try to answer them as best as possible.

2. To get music onto it depends on what "ecosystem" you are in. If you have an extensive library of music that you bought either on CD, Google Play, Amazon, etc. and don't purchase from iTunes you will need to load them via iTunes from a PC or Mac. If you've bought everything from iTunes you can restore from the cloud via the music app.
    If u have amazon music u can get an app and sign in with your account and all your music will be there

Sent from my iPod touch using iMore Forums
    05-26-2014 02:50 PM
    Welcome to iMore!!!
    05-26-2014 06:21 PM
    Thank you all for your input, it has been really helpful, looks like I'm going to have to bring both laptop and IPad with me when I travel, was hoping to get away with just having the IPad but looking like that isn't going to do. But I do love this new IPad!
    06-02-2014 11:03 AM