I like most on here lived through the OS wars between Microsoft and Apple, and like most I chose sides, blatantly proclaiming I would never use an apple product.... Fast forward to 2013-2014 I now own a few apple products, like the iPad I am typing this on right now. I mostly stepped away from windows with the push of windows 8 and I know I am not the only one with these sentiments. To the point that today I now own a MacBook Air and a pro that sits on my desk, followed by an iPhone that accompanies me everywhere and amazes me at the potential such a little device can hold, as a technical consultant many of the businesses I consult for tend to need some type of mobile productivity device that could and I could only truly point them towards the was then iPad, simply because there was nothing that could compete with it on any front, the same became try with Mac OS , since the release of windows 8 I was very hard pressed to recommend any new windows machines as the OS was, IS terrible for a desktop and possibly laptop ( varying on the actual product)....... But to the point, with the recent announcement of the surface pro 3 I must say that I am truly excited to see a product from Microsoft that I can honestly say to people you should buy this, and more importantly to see microsoft begin to shine and innovate in the fashion it did way back in the late 90's both with the surface and windows phone 8 I must say I am impressed and truly excited to get my hands on it, but that's leads to the question is anybody out there interested in this product, Apple vs Microsoft sentiments aside would this make you set aside your macs and iPads for one consolidated machine? Or Is this just a dead in the water project and Microsoft is searching for a mythical device that can't exist and never will. Please chime in and let me know what you think.
    05-24-2014 02:51 AM
    I'm not at this point in time, but to be fair, I'd like to play with the device for a bit to get a real feel for it.
    nikkisharif, Rancid88 and Yoli619 like this.
    05-24-2014 02:46 PM
    It's just dead in the water. I use windows at work and have a MacBook Pro at home, it's not that I dislike MS, but God, I feel crushing my working computer each time it freezes with a spinning blue circle causing either the software to crash down, or forcing me to reboot the computer only to find out that I need to start over again all the work that I have done. In fact I'm so use to OS X that I lost the habit to save my graphic or word documents before starting the work. I can't say that my Mac never crashes, but whenever it does that and I reopen the software I was using prior the crash, it asks me if I would like to save the project I was working on before creating a new one, or if I would like to continue working on that project. Windows never offer that option, specially if the computer actually reboot right after the crash. And I suspect surface pro 3 to one be able to handle large documents full of graphics and multimedia a without crashing. No it's just dead for me until the fix what they've broke in the OS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    05-24-2014 03:39 PM
    I think it may have a place, but it will be challenging for them. It seems to me they are trying to create a device that is both a tablet and laptop and believe there is a market need for this.

When the IPAD first came out, I used it mainly for content viewing, but as apps improved and ios got better, I am finding I can do more and more things productively on my IPAD, especially when I have it near my Bluetooth keyboard. It is moving up the utility chain.

I do however still have my laptop, however like many others have migrated to a MacBook Pro. I still work with windows but only either virtually (VMware) and through a VDI. I now really have no need of a physical windows desktop or laptop, hence the new Surface pro is not interesting to me personally.

Whether the IPAD will ever replace my MacBook environment is questionable since there are still intensive computing tasks that I reserve for it.

I think the the Surface pro if it is successful May gave a place with formal business applications that run on windows and where mobility has some degree of importance. It will be a tradeoff in these situations as to whether it will prevail or BYOD. For large scale business adoption, the price point seems high in relation to other vendors laptops.

Jim Klinck
    05-24-2014 04:23 PM
    I can't see the surface making any strides in the tablet market with the iPad as it's major competitor ! Windows 8 is a major failure in my opinion with Apple having the superior operating system.
    05-24-2014 06:16 PM
    I'm not at this point in time, but to be fair, I'd like to play with the device for a bit to get a real feel for it.
    I totally agree!!!
    05-31-2014 03:51 AM
    Ah and It's a wrong comparisons to wanting to compare the surface 3 to any iPad. The surface 3 is having specs of a computer and has everything a computer have, more of it, it runs full real windows os 8 and it's a 2014 soon to be release product. Comparing it to any existing ipad at this time is wrong, and it shouldn't be compare to ipad even, but with MacBook Air instead.
    I like comparisons, but to Cesar what is to Cesar, surface 3 is not a bridge between phones and computers, it doesn't have any 3G or LTE capabilities like all the rest of tablets out there, it's a full computer in a mini body. I will like to see it compare with the most recent MacBook Air and see how innovative Microsoft has become since then.

05-31-2014 05:06 AM
    I like most on here lived through the OS wars between Microsoft and Apple, and like most I chose sides, blatantly proclaiming I would never use an apple product.... Fast forward to 2013-2014 I now own a few apple products, like the iPad I am typing this on right now. I mostly stepped away from windows with the push of windows 8 and I know I am not the only one with these sentiments. To the point that today I now own a MacBook Air and a pro that sits on my desk, followed by an iPhone that accompanies me everywhere and amazes me at the potential such a little device can hold, as a technical consultant many of the businesses I consult for tend to need some type of mobile productivity device that could and I could only truly point them towards the was then iPad, simply because there was nothing that could compete with it on any front, the same became try with Mac OS , since the release of windows 8 I was very hard pressed to recommend any new windows machines as the OS was, IS terrible for a desktop and possibly laptop ( varying on the actual product)....... But to the point, with the recent announcement of the surface pro 3 I must say that I am truly excited to see a product from Microsoft that I can honestly say to people you should buy this, and more importantly to see microsoft begin to shine and innovate in the fashion it did way back in the late 90's both with the surface and windows phone 8 I must say I am impressed and truly excited to get my hands on it, but that's leads to the question is anybody out there interested in this product, Apple vs Microsoft sentiments aside would this make you set aside your macs and iPads for one consolidated machine? Or Is this just a dead in the water project and Microsoft is searching for a mythical device that can't exist and never will. Please chime in and let me know what you think.

I actually went the other way. I loved Apple products, they just worked, loved the design, the ease of use etc. I then got serious about setting up a business and went about getting organised using GTD as a workflow. The apple apps and programs were mostly great until I had to get them to talk to PC - this is the inherent problem with Apple, they just don't care about business or enterprise. So there I was, half (work half) living in a windows environment that i didn't like and outside of work in an Apple environment I liked. 2 halves pulling me apart, it couldn't continue like this. The nail in the coffin was the FACT that 95% of the WORLD use MS products at work and the round Apple peg just doesn't fit in the square MS hole. 1 had to go so it was with a heavy heart I ditched all my Apple products and went (via android but that's another story) to MS.

Then came Win8 - a schizophrenic operating system that made me want to fly to Redmond, line the developers up along with their team leaders and kick them all 1 by 1 in the bollox. For those that don't know its the actual internal team structure that has been and will be (unless Satya Nadela changes it) their Achilles heel. Anyways fast forward to today and asking myself the question "what do i need to get done and which technology will get me there" then the answer is clearly MS along with the SP3 and LUmia phones for staff.

Apple products? well I can see a new iPad Air replacing my older iPad as the kitchen recipe holder and music player (playing MS Xbox Music that is) good bye sweet apple!
    05-31-2014 01:34 PM
    I can't see the surface making any strides in the tablet market with the iPad as it's major competitor ! Windows 8 is a major failure in my opinion with Apple having the superior operating system.
    Please expand - saying iPad and Surface pro 3 in the same sentence (im assuming that's what you mean as its in the SP3 thread) is like comparing a donkey to a pickup truck when moving home. As for the OS, which features are you in particular unhappy with, what doesn't work for YOU, with examples please.
    05-31-2014 01:38 PM
    Please expand - saying iPad and Surface pro 3 in the same sentence (im assuming that's what you mean as its in the SP3 thread) is like comparing a donkey to a pickup truck when moving home. As for the OS, which features are you in particular unhappy with, what doesn't work for YOU, with examples please.
    Personal feelings, the os alone drive me away. So so crap I call it. Full of holes and open door for viruses, and you need to always worry about safety of your os otherwise chances are that you will lose your entire hard drive if you don't install update antivirus software in there. Windows is a hands down, os freezing winer, and it's when you less expect it to happens to you that for no reasons at all it will freez and force you to reboot causing you to start over again the entire excel documentation or the email. And the display of the surface 3, what is it? LCD or LED? Doesn't even matter the answer, apple own the best display ever, and since I need to stare at display for hours, I care for display quality. Windows os is lacking security, it's a very weak and non stable os, and don't get me wrong, I use it at work every day, and I deal with so so windows troubles everyday spending 2/3 of the working time geeking to make the os or the machine to work. You see, that's why some people love windows, because it gives them enough troubles, and they can practice troubleshooting and so becoming geeks in the process. If I wanted to be a geek, I would just run that road, I don't want windows to force me train for what I don't have time for, or don't want to do. With ios jail breaking is the same thing. Once you jailbreak your ios, you welcome troubles and find yourself disabling mobile substrates, looking to this tweaks or that, editing plist files, and cmd just to make your iDevice run correctly, you will experience sudden freezing crashing or rebooting while you are plenty in a app doing some nice work. To sum up, jailbreak is almost the equivalent of windows in all troubles aspect possible, but when it's not jailbroken, the thing just works 99% of the time. And between stability and instability, security and insecurity, fluidity and bugginess of an OS, the choice is clear for anyone serious who wants to work.
    When I college, I was told to simplify thing, everything, as a mater of fact, it's hard to simply equations, and simplicity is sophisticate. Loading 8GB of ram into a computer vs 1gb and if both computer can achieve the same work with the same ease, I say the 1gb ram computer is more powerful than the other. Manufactures nowadays just load plenty of hardwares into computers just because they haven't figure out the algorithms to make things run on just strict minimum resources. Apple is close to the solution. True the ipad Air and the mini retina house 1gb of ram, yet, I run serious AutoCad project on my iPad without it freezing like the way it lags on the windows PC with better higher resources.
    So what to like on the windows 8? Flat squares or rectangles colorful icons.

05-31-2014 09:09 PM
    I just never could get used to any variation of Windows 8. I think that alone is what keeps me from really wanting anything Surface related.

We've got so many issues on Win 8 at work and I wish we could revert.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!
    06-01-2014 09:31 AM
    Ah and It's a wrong comparisons to wanting to compare the surface 3 to any iPad. The surface 3 is having specs of a computer and has everything a computer have, more of it, it runs full real windows os 8 and it's a 2014 soon to be release product. Comparing it to any existing ipad at this time is wrong, and it shouldn't be compare to ipad even, but with MacBook Air instead.
    I like comparisons, but to Cesar what is to Cesar, surface 3 is not a bridge between phones and computers, it doesn't have any 3G or LTE capabilities like all the rest of tablets out there, it's a full computer in a mini body. I will like to see it compare with the most recent MacBook Air and see how innovative Microsoft has become since then.

Windows 8 from the bottom up was a response to the iPad and the market it slowly consumed it is indeed a bridge between the mobile devices and traditional computers not on a hardware to hardware level but the very base OS and the services that each provides whether or not it is a strong contender is very debatable since I still believe the iPad is a solid device that has yet to be touched but it is still a tablet to tablet comparison since both run 64bit architecture, even though the instruction sets are different intel I-series being x86 vs a7s ARM they are both capable of accessing the same amount of memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-02-2014 04:27 PM
    I think Microsoft made a mistake by grafting Windows 8.1 onto their tablets. Windows RT or a Windows Phone tablet variant would have been better routes for them to go. It seems like they were forced by their customers to widely adopt Windows 8 on their devices though because everyone was confused by RT - it looked like Windows 8 so everyone seemed to assume it should have the same functionality of Windows 8.

Looking at the relationship between iOS and OS X, it's probably a great thing that Apple completely redesigned the UI for their phones and tablets. Even though they are similar beasts, no one expects Apple's mobile OS to do the same job it's desktop OS does.

That said, the SP3 is a beautiful device. Windows 8.1 isn't for me on my mobile devices (I'd go with the Lumia 2520 over the Surface Pro 3) but for users that want to stay in the Microsoft ecosystem and can afford the price tag, it is a great machine.
    06-06-2014 07:40 PM
    I'd love a test run at it as well! I'm an iOS-addict! I admit!
    07-03-2014 10:35 AM
    Windows??? No thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    07-03-2014 11:32 AM
    I'm pretty excited for this, any device that allows to forgo carrying both my tablet and laptop in a single bag is always welcome. That said, I'm just worried about the cost. I can't afford a brand new laptop-level computer and if I did I would probably be spending it on something totally non-tech related (like on a date).

But I most certainly think this would be the one device to replace my netbook and tablet all at once, especially on outdoor working assignments.
    07-04-2014 05:56 AM
    All I know is that it will her replace my laptop.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    07-04-2014 03:29 PM