Randomly going to home screen while I'm working on stuff and then what I was working on is lost ???

Frank Ginsburg

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
i have the same problem it started with the 8.1.1 update.. 80 was bad enough with freezing but it seems like all the fixes are just making things worse it is so frustrating now to use the iPod i almost threw it out.. i will be getting a galaxy phone next because apple is just getting more and more frustrating, soon they will lose all market share if they keep introducing crap.. does anyone have a fix to this problem? i think i will just wipe and re-install my OS:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Latest update,,, 2 weeks ago I buy a new Air 2 from Best Buy,,,, a week later it starts freezing up on me just like my first gen Airs did (all the ones I had to exchange as can be seen earlier in this thread).

Now I'm on my second Air 2,,,,that I had to exchange for my first Air 2 that was also freezing up,,,, and now my I week old Air 2 just started freezing up on me.

Both brand new from Best Buy, as I'm not going back to the Apple Store anymore to let them exchange me refurbished iPads they try to tell me are new for the NEW iPad I purchased in the first place.

I've been to the genius bar and exchanged so many iPads at this point I'm starting to lose count,,,, I have done restores from iCloud and have also done start as a NEW device more times than I can count.

I would love to say what I think about that Apple and Apple fanboy slogan "it just works" but the words I would use I am VERY certain would not be allowed on this forum.

In spite of ALL this I still LOVE my iPads more than my Android tablets (which I stupidly sold all of them).

Well at least my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 works seamlessly without any problems at all EVER !!!!

And ALL my Samsung tablets worked perfectly as well,,, what a mistake that was selling them ALL off.

I stick with Apple because when they do work it's great and I Love iPads way more than Samsung tablets.

Ohh, and for what it's worth, I have almost no apps and zero games on any of my iPads I have ever owned that keep freezing up on me.

Well, I guess it's time to go back to BestBuy and exchange for another Air 2 (this will be exchange number 3 for me in the the Air 2)

All you Apple fanboys can take that "it just works" slogan and shove it up your,,,,,,,.

At least ALL my iPhones have always worked, and I've have had/owned EVERY model iPhone ever made including the iPhone 6,,, but I did exchange that back for my current new Note 4 that DOES JUST WORK !!!

On a side note (pun intended) Apple just opened a brand new store blocks away from my house,,, so no more driving across town countless times for my more than frequent visits to the genius bar to fix what "just works".

And for all you Android haters,,,, I really wish I could say what I want to say to you,,, but then again the words I would use towards you Andriod haters would also get me kicked off this forum.

Davyo

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Latest update,,, 2 weeks ago I buy a new Air 2 from Best Buy,,,, a week later it starts freezing up on me just like my first gen Airs did (all the ones I had to exchange as can be seen earlier in this thread).

Now I'm on my second Air 2,,,,that I had to exchange for my first Air 2 that was also freezing up,,,, and now my I week old Air 2 just started freezing up on me.

Both brand new from Best Buy, as I'm not going back to the Apple Store anymore to let them exchange me refurbished iPads they try to tell me are new for the NEW iPad I purchased in the first place.

I've been to the genius bar and exchanged so many iPads at this point I'm starting to lose count,,,, I have done restores from iCloud and have also done start as a NEW device more times than I can count.

I would love to say what I think about that Apple and Apple fanboy slogan "it just works" but the words I would use I am VERY certain would not be allowed on this forum.

In spite of ALL this I still LOVE my iPads more than my Android tablets (which I stupidly sold all of them).

Well at least my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 works seamlessly without any problems at all EVER !!!!

And ALL my Samsung tablets worked perfectly as well,,, what a mistake that was selling them ALL off.

I stick with Apple because when they do work it's great and I Love iPads way more than Samsung tablets.

Ohh, and for what it's worth, I have almost no apps and zero games on any of my iPads I have ever owned that keep freezing up on me.

Well, I guess it's time to go back to BestBuy and exchange for another Air 2 (this will be exchange number 3 for me in the the Air 2)

All you Apple fanboys can take that "it just works" slogan and shove it up your,,,,,,,.

At least ALL my iPhones have always worked, and I've have had/owned EVERY model iPhone ever made including the iPhone 6,,, but I did exchange that back for my current new Note 4 that DOES JUST WORK !!!

On a side note (pun intended) Apple just opened a brand new store blocks away from my house,,, so no more driving across town countless times for my more than frequent visits to the genius bar to fix what "just works".

And for all you Android haters,,,, I really wish I could say what I want to say to you,,, but then again the words I would use towards you Andriod haters would also get me kicked off this forum.

Davyo

Sorry your experience has been less than fantastic. Some people have terrible luck with Apple products, which is unfortunate.

dreytondave

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my ipad it crashes at random times since I updated the ios 8.1.1 and have tried all the reboots and reinstalls even as far as factory reset, I see it mentioned everywhere now so its a common problem it seems caused from the update

edpip76

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've got the original iPad air. Had it 12 months. It's been crashing in every application,every app sine I purchased it. No matter what upgrade on iOS or apps it's never made a difference. It's really frustrating when your in the middle of a purchase when it crashes. This is my first Apple product, and I love it, but the crashes have put me off Apple for life. I've got hundreds of photos stored on it which took me days to import on photo box due to major problems with transferring them over. I'm reluctant to restore or repair as I don't want to lose our photos. My nearest store is well over an hour away and I don't want a replacement if I'm going to lose my photos

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If you have a PC just plug the USB into your PC from your Air and save all your photos on your PC,,, it real fast and easy.

I do that EVERYTIME I have to exchange all my countless iPads in search of one that will actualy work and not freeze on me,,,, I'm getting ready to do I think exchange number 8 now this week but I've kinda lost track at this point.

Wow,,,,, I just was able to make it thru this entire post without my IPad freezing up,,,, I better hit reply RIGHT NOW before I freeze up.

Cheers
Dacto

gramsof2

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have had my iPad 1 for 3 years. It just started crashing about 6 months ago. It is getting worse every week. (actually, it crashed the first time I tried to reply) :) I just bought iPad air 2 . After reading all of these posts, I am wondering if I should return it and buy a tablet!

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I know what I think I'm going to do to fix ALL my iPad problems,,,,,, I'll go do exchange number 8 today (I think it's number 8, Ive done so many echanges now it's just a blur) and I will "also" go get me a Samsung Tab S 10.5 to do most my heavy lifting (long involved emails, forum post and other task's that I can't afford to have crash on me).

I'll keep the iPad mainly for iMovie (I love and use iMovie a lot) and there is no Andriod/Google/Samsung movie editor that even comes close to iMovie.

I left iPhone a few years ago because of ONE reason,,,, that tiny little 4" screen.

My plans were to go with the 6 Plus iPhone or even just the 6, and jump back into the Apple Ecosystem that I do love, with a new bigger than 4" screen tiny screened phone, get another iPad mini and also have an Air,,,, but these countless problems with the "It Just Works" products have changed my mind.

I think now I with stick with my Note 4, get the new Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and keep an iPad around just for iMovie and light web browsing.

Bummer to,,, as I really was digging the iPhone Plus a lot,,,,it's a bit thinner and not as wide to hold as my Note 4, but not by much.

Ya really screwed up Apple by sticking with the one size phone fits all mentality for so long,,, had it not been for you sticking to that postage stamp size screen for so long I probaly would have not ever started playing with the Android phones and started realizing and finding out the all the pros Andoid has to offer.

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited:

ImperialBunny

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
You said you left IPhone few years ago, but you also said you own every model in existence ... some which came out only months ago. You also said all your IPhones work very good, doesn't that also make them just as justifiable with the just work slogan you accounted for the Note 4? And you also said all your iPhones work, so why hesitant to go with the iPhone 6 Plus?

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You said you left IPhone few years ago, but you also said you own every model in existence ... some which came out only months ago. You also said all your IPhones work very good, doesn't that also make them just as justifiable with the just work slogan you accounted for the Note 4? And you also said all your iPhones work, so why hesitant to go with the iPhone 6 Plus?

Yes,,,, I have owned every model iPhone ever made (except the C).

And yes,,,, all my iPhone's have worked perfectly,,,,,,, but I also use Andoid devices as well,,, I'm not married to just one OS.

On a side note (pun intended) 2 days ago I purchased the iPhone 6 Plus and spent those 2 days comparing my Note 4 to the 6 Plus, my verdict,,, no contest at all !!!!

My Note 4 felt better in the hand, took way way way better looking pictures and video and the Note 4 also records in stereo as well while ALL iPhones and iPads only record in mono... It makes a huge difference,,,,,, and be it stereo or mono, the Note 4's overall sound quality is also much better than the recorded audio from ANY iPhone or iPad,,,,, even most of the Android tablets record video in stereo as well.

Anyhow,,, I have very long list of how much my Note 4 beat out the 6 Plus I purchased,,,,, needless to say I returned the iPhone 6 Plus and gladly paid the restocking fee.

With tablets that's a weird one,,, as I like iPads much more than Android tablets even though my iPads are the Apple products that give me problems while my Android tablets do "just work" with no issues at all.

If it were not for iMovie (which I use All the time) and all the great iPad optimized apps I would probably drop Apple completly and be 100% Android,,,,,,, sadly Android does not make a single video editing app that even comes close to iMovie and many of the Android apps are not optimized for Android tablets,,,, Google/Android apps work great on Android phones, like my Note 4 but are not as optimized for tablets like most iOS apps are.

Anyhow,,,, I Totally Love my Note 4 and my new 128gb iPad Air 2 (when it does work),,,, so that's were I'm at now.

But I will be re-purchasing a Galaxy Tab S 10.5,,,, that 2K AMOLED screen on the Tab S is simply amazing and totally destroys the retina display of ANY iPad.

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited:

Gigi Chan

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
My iPad mini have the same problem, I'm going to the genius bar tmr. Do u have any better advice I should tell them? I just dun wanna end up listen to them saying, turn it off, install uninstall, bla bla bla........ That was the response I got from the live chat apple people!

dondlab

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I've been using an IPad four years (original release) and have dealt with the same problem over that time period. Apple won't acknowledge any specific issue but something tells me they know much more than they're telling. I've attempted every type of fix that's been suggested -- to no avail. From my experience in the early consumer computer industry (since 1981) I'm leaning toward some type of memory buffering or memory management problem. Running a YouTube video from within a website is a sure way to get kicked back to the Home Screen. Run that same video directly on YouTube and no issues.

Same from the Facebook app. Clicking on a posted video will also trigger an "IRTHS" (Involuntary Return To Home Screen).

These are not the only circumstances, but they are reliably duplicated.

Seems like any time the RAM (remember that term?) is repeatedly accessed it sets off an IRTHS.

Sad that this is now a legacy problem for the IPad because I really enjoy using it, and it has definitively stopped me from upgrading.

Never one such incident on the same WiFi system with an Android device, PC, Mac, Apple TV device or even an IPhone (have at least one of each).

My new 5.5 inch LG G3 is becoming my go-to device, although the larger IPad screen is preferable in many instances.

Donna Bliss

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. So bizarre and annoying. How is this not a bigger concern. It must happen a lot and many like me just didn't bother to report it. Grrrrrr.

Mia Lennon

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Mine does the exact same thing! I was just doing a search online to try and figure it out. Did you manage to figure it out? Mine has done this since I got it.

Mley05

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Ok so after reading a lot and 3 crashes... Lol !I finally found a different site that told me to turn off my location services... It seems to have worked!!!!! I have been surfing for 30 minutes now without a crash... Go to settings, then privacy,then turn off location services switch[/HL].... Hope this works for yall!

alan260760

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I am a hopeless 55 yr old, who is having the same problem, only just started after several months use, actually 12 months and I have just bought wifey ipad air2. I don't understand any of the computer gobbledygook gook like bios or the like, just need to know what to do to fix it. I have apps showing on the iPad, never use them don't know what they do or care for them anyway so they can be removed but how?
Help would be greatly appreciated as my laptop hard drive has just decided to pack up well that's what the guy in the shop tells me and he can put in a new one for a hundred pounds...

gldlmelton

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a iPhone 6+, & it's doing the exact same thing every time I turn around! Tried everything!! (Phone not a month old!!) VERY AGGRAVATING!!!