I need your help to decide .

Hossam Tarek

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello iMore members :)

i need help as i am planning to buy a new iPad by the end of this month but i can't really decide which one to get. i don't have much experience with IOS devices.
i had the iPad 4 for a month and then i sold it because i was short of cash at that time but i was happy with it except for the weight. it was really heavy.
is the Air really lighter than the ipad 4? i mean noticeably lighter and more portable or should i go for the rMini for the portability -i'll be taking it to work daily- ?

i know i am asking too much but i also need your help with memory options.
all i am going to use it for is iBooks , email , safari , youtube , facebook and may be some games and apps. no music or videos.
will the 16 GB model be enough for that kind of usage?

thanks in advance :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello iMore members :)

i need help as i am planning to buy a new iPad by the end of this month but i can't really decide which one to get. i don't have much experience with IOS devices.
i had the iPad 4 for a month and then i sold it because i was short of cash at that time but i was happy with it except for the weight. it was really heavy.
is the Air really lighter than the ipad 4? i mean noticeably lighter and more portable or should i go for the rMini for the portability -i'll be taking it to work daily- ?

i know i am asking too much but i also need your help with memory options.
all i am going to use it for is iBooks , email , safari , youtube , facebook and may be some games and apps. no music or videos.
will the 16 GB model be enough for that kind of usage?

thanks in advance :)
For what you described, the 16 GB model should be sufficient, but if you got the money, spring for the 32 GB model just in case. As for which to get, that's all on you. Both devices are light, but one is more portable than the other. Will you need the larger screen or will the smaller screen suffice? Only you can answer that question. Both devices can serve you well. I recommend you go to a nearby Apple Store, Best Buy, Walmart or other electronic store that sells both devices and physically handle them to see which is best for you.

Hossam Tarek

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
unfortunately , i live in Egypt and we don't have an apple store here nor any of the stores you mentioned .
i'll have to buy it boxed and then see if i like it or not :D
no return also , only replacement of defected units :(
that's why i asked ppl who have actually tried the two.
and many thanks for your reply :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
unfortunately , i live in Egypt and we don't have an apple store here nor any of the stores you mentioned .
i'll have to buy it boxed and then see if i like it or not :D
no return also , only replacement of defected units :(
that's why i asked ppl who have actually tried the two.
and many thanks for your reply :)

Do you need a "full" size iPad or a "Mini" size? I've used both and in my personal opinion, if you're not going to be watching movies and other videos, you may be best served with the rMini. Still, no matter who else chimes in, you will still have to choose for yourself...:)

Hossam Tarek

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Do you need a "full" size iPad or a "Mini" size? I've used both and in my personal opinion, if you're not going to be watching movies and other videos, you may be best served with the rMini. Still, no matter who else chimes in, you will still have to choose for yourself...:)

my only concern with the mini is that i will be reading alot of scanned PDF books and i'm not sure if it will be comfortable on the mini.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
that's good to know , thanks :)

Compared to the ipad 4, the weight difference is huge. I had an ipad 4 and found myself using it less because it's heavy. It's almost night and day to me! I had the mini and it is portable ( I could put it in my jacket) but to be honest I like the screen size of the air. If it was up to me I'd go with the air as it is portable enough. If you hated the iPad 4s weight you'll love the air ! Good luck.

agalaria

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
As per your usage i guess 16 GB will be fine but it will always be better to have 32 GB. Secondly i use an iPad Air and its light. I use it for hours and the screen is beautiful to read pdf's. :smile:

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
My dad has iPad air and I have iPad mini. The weight difference is quite significant. Though iPad Air does the job however, iPad mini retina has more pixels due to small screen size plus its more portable.

I would never recommend a tablet of 16GB as these days the updates which keep coming in from developers are quite heavy. I would suggest you to pick a 32GB iPad mini with retina display

Good luck!

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
They have the same mount of pixels (2048x1536), the rMini just puts those pixels in a smaller area so the PPI (Pixels per Inch) are higher.

I have owned both of them. I had a rMini for about 4 months and about 3 weeks ago I sold it and bought an iPad Air. Honestly, you can't go wrong either way. Typing on the iPad Air is a lot easier so if you plan to use this for any type of note taking or word-processing i'd go with the Air. I also find webpages and comic books to be easier to read on the Air due to the larger screen. The rMini was better for gaming IMO just because its smaller and easier to hold for longer stretches of time.

Again, you can't go wrong with either. Both are fantastic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR