Hi all,

I've had my Air for about a week and I'm finding that it seems to crash a lot. I had an iPhone 4 when it was released, got bored of the OS by the time by 2 year contract was up and went to Windows Phone. Still happy with that decision, so much so I was going to try and get a Windows tablet to replace my very crap year old Galaxy Tab 10.1 2, but the lack of a Sky Go app was a killer for me. So it was either get a tablet without a killer app I really did require, go for Android again and expect to have to replace it again in a years time, or go for an iPad.

I was reluctant to go for an iPad for various reasons which I'm not going to go into here because it'll just start a "fan boy" war. I'm no fan boy of any OS/device, I'm just into my tech and go for what is best for my needs at the time, whether that's Windows, Android or iOS, but my preference was to try and stay away from iOS if I could. But I couldn't and there you go.

Anyway I digress. The one thing I knew, or thought I knew, was that from my time with an iPhone 4 and iOS 4 and 5, the OS would be stable and would certainly give me 2 years at least of good use with little or no downgrade in performance after OS upgrades. I'm however finding that there are stupid crashes happening quite often. On Sunday the whole thing froze for a good few minutes before rebooting. I can't recall which app I was in at the time and had been going in and out of several ones trying to keep my 1 year old entertained. While in landscape mode the iTunes Movie store crashes on load every single time. It's fine in Portrait though which I don't understand. The App Store I don't think has yet crashed on me, but iTunes does quite often, as well as other third party apps. Now to be fair it could well be a problem with the third party apps that is causing those to crash, but for iTunes to crash every time just doesn't seem right.

Is anyone else having problems like these? Is it just an Air problem or is there a deep rooted problem with iOS 7 on all of their devices?

Thanks.
    01-15-2014 10:01 AM
    It never happened to me but I think a restore would fix it.
    01-15-2014 10:07 AM
    Welcome to iMore.
    01-15-2014 10:07 AM
    I feel that it's an iOS 7.0-wide issue. Probably has to do with the migration to a 64-bit o/s?

I've had more crashes on my iPad Air than I've had on anything since my old first-gen iPad. Sometimes from my browser (Chrome), sometimes from the video app, sometimes from the Kindle app.

We'll see whether it improves with the final release of 7.1.
    01-15-2014 10:51 AM
    It really does seem to be an iOS 7 issue, really hoping they Polish iOS 7 up with the 7.1 release
    01-15-2014 11:14 AM
    My first iPad Air crashed a lot. I exchanged it and the new one still crashes but not as much. My iPhone 5 w/ iOS 7 is bulletproof though.
    01-15-2014 10:44 PM
    If it's as crashy on 7.1 and others have better experiences, I'll take it in to a Genius.

Still nowhere as crashy as my old Android tablet. So there's that.
    01-16-2014 12:23 AM
    Cheers. When is 7.1 due out? To be fair to my Galaxy Tab I can't think of any times it crashed. It just became so slow after the last update I had to swap. It was fine up until the last update as well.
    01-16-2014 05:45 AM
    First thing I did with my new iPad air was install iOS 7.1 Beta 3 ... Appears to be really stable, I do have a few apps crash here and there but leaning towards it being the apps fault not my device. The only issue I have discovered is that my iPad literally takes about 4 minutes to boot from power down. Thought about reinstalling the OS but perhaps will wait for the next beta update.
    01-16-2014 11:03 AM
    My first iPad Air I got for Christmas before I got it swopped at the genius at the Apple shop on the 3rd Jan, I noticed it do a quick reboot (re-spring) twice. They replaced my iPad Air because my original had screen issues. My replacement has only done a quick reboot 3 times since, so it's not as often as some people. I restored both iPads from my iPad 2 back up. I am reluctant to do a restore as new and lose everything to only find out it's iOS 7. Strange how come that both my iPad air's have resprung, I'm confident it is software rather than hardware.

However the other day iPhone 5 resprung (quick reboot) for the first time ever since iOS 7 was installed on release day. I doubt very much that both iPads and my iPhone 5 are all experiencing the same hardware issue.
    01-16-2014 02:39 PM
    Factory restore. If that doesn't work. Take it back.
    01-16-2014 02:40 PM
    It's not a major problem at the moment, so I think I will wait for iOS 7.1. If that doesn't solve it or it gets worse I will restore as new device.
    01-16-2014 02:45 PM