Why is my iPad Air so slow compared to my first gen iPad mini ????

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got a 32gb Air, I also have a 32gb iPad mini first gen,,,, I'm on the same home wifi network, all my settings on my Air and mini are exactly the same yet my Air will not load pages as quick as my mini,,, and sometimes my Air won't even load web pages at all and times out or says cannot open web page.

I have checked and rechecked ALL my settings, both the mini and Air are exactly the same settings for Everything ?

Am I missing something or do I need to go down to Apple and do an exchange ?

Any ideas on a fix for this issue ?

Cheers
Davyo

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Other than web page loading, is your iPad Air slower than your iPad Mini in loading apps & games?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would probably do a restore and see if that helps- if not I would set up a genius bar appointment- the processor is twice as fast I believe so it should not be slower- Mine has been great

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
We'll problem solved for the most part,,,, I re-booted my wifi router and all is working fine now,,,, but it is odd that my Android tabs (Galaxy Tab 3 and Nexus 10) we're loading fine, but not my IPad air and then my iPad mini started dragging as well while my Android tabs worked perfectly,,, very odd,,,,,, but, all my tablets are working fine now after the wifi re- boot.

One thing that still remains odd is some of my apps like iMovie and Photo Shop don't seem to open any faster on my Air than on my first gen mini,,,, before I bought my Air I figured those apps would open way faster on my Air than on my mini,,,,but not the case,,,, they open in about in about the same amount of time with my Air and mini.

Cheers
Davyo

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
At least you got it taken care of, sir. Have a great day, and thank you for updating us...:)

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
One thing that still remains odd is some of my apps like iMovie and Photo Shop don't seem to open any faster on my Air than on my first gen mini,,,, before I bought my Air I figured those apps would open way faster on my Air than on my mini,,,,but not the case,,,, they open in about in about the same amount of time with my Air and mini.

Cheers
Davyo

I haven't ever seen any actual specs with regards to the flash storage, but if they haven't changed since the mini, the load time should be roughly the same.

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't ever seen any actual specs with regards to the flash storage, but if they haven't changed since the mini, the load time should be roughly the same.

The processor's much faster in the Air than the original mini, which should make running apps faster (if it is a CPU bound process). But I don't have the mini to compare it with.

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The processor's much faster in the Air than the original mini, which should make running apps faster (if it is a CPU bound process). But I don't have the mini to compare it with.

Sure, but the OP was referring to load times. If it's the same flash storage, it should be relatively the same load time (discounting whatever processing is done while the app is loading etc.)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the original ipad mini and I don't think I ever noticed that apps took a long time to load. And I have the patience of a 6 year old.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the original ipad mini and I don't think I ever noticed that apps took a long time to load. And I have the patience of a 6 year old.

It'll only get slow if the memory was close to getting full. If you have like 8 GB left that's good but from there it starts to lag. That's probably why Apple discontinued the 8 GB models. The customers probably complained about them.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I notice a lot of crashing with bigger apps on the Mini. Injustice, a few games my daughter plays, etc. I chalk it up to RAM and slow processor. But the retina mini or iPad air handles these apps a lot easier where they struggle on the first Mini.

soccerdan123

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I read something's on wifi speeds being slow on the air. Try restoring it then make sure you're updated to iOS 7.0.6. Other than that, the Air is quit frankly a simplistic power house. Hope your problem gets resolved :).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73