Anyone else gotten good at traditional typing on the software keyboard? I remember when I first got an iPad, I couldn't type on the software keyboard at all. But I kept practicing and now I am pretty good. I prefer the software keyboard now even though I do have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use at work from time to time. I have really become accustomed to the auto correct and the double space for the period.
    12-13-2013 11:17 PM
    I have an iPad mini, and typing on it is a cinch, but I did not enjoy typing on the full size iPad that I had and opted to use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it.
    12-13-2013 11:21 PM
    I have an iPad mini, and typing on it is a cinch, but I did not enjoy typing on the full size iPad that I had and opted to use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it.
    I wouldn't have thought that. Do you type in the traditional style or are you thumb typing?
    12-13-2013 11:22 PM
    I just tried it on my daughter's iPad mini and it is easy to type on. I thought that it would be tougher because the screen size is smaller but it really isn't. It actually felt like I was typing a little faster.
    12-13-2013 11:25 PM
    I wouldn't have thought that. Do you type in the traditional style or are you thumb typing?
    I type with my thumbs on the iPad Mini.
    12-14-2013 12:25 AM
    I just tried it on my daughter's iPad mini and it is easy to type on. I thought that it would be tougher because the screen size is smaller but it really isn't. It actually felt like I was typing a little faster.
    Yeah, depending on the size of your hands, it's almost perfect for thumb typing, on my opinion.
    12-14-2013 12:26 AM
    Yeah, depending on the size of your hands, it's almost perfect for thumb typing, on my opinion.
    I usually don't type with my thumbs. I type like I do on a regular computer keyboard.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-14-2013 07:30 AM
    I usually don't type with my thumbs. I type like I do on a regular computer keyboard.
    That is impressive...
    12-14-2013 12:21 PM
    That is impressive...
    It just takes practice. At first I struggled. But then I was able to but I had to look at the keys while I typed. Now I don't lo at the keys anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app
    12-14-2013 01:18 PM
    I type with my thumbs, but I keep my keyboard split. It feels more natural this way, and is more consistent with typing on an iPhone. In case you didn't know, you can split the iPad software keyboard by swiping apart with your thumbs from the middle (do the opposite to slide it back together).
    kataran likes this.
    12-15-2013 06:15 PM
    When I had an air and sometimes with my mini I placed it down and typed like a regular keyboard which worked for me. I'm actually typing with the split keyboard right now though
    12-15-2013 06:19 PM
    URgh double tap space for a period. I sometimes do that on my computer!
    12-15-2013 10:57 PM
    My first experience with a software keyboard was on my HP Touchpad which had a lot of choices but I will always like a physical keyboard

Back in grade school I held the record of 63 words per minute using an electric type writer

I can now type pretty fast one handed thumb on my iPhone 📲

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    12-15-2013 11:20 PM
    Yeah me too. Wish it had this feature. I also sometimes click on the title bar hoping to scroll to the top of a long page.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    12-16-2013 09:04 AM
    (laughing)...You aren't the only one....
    12-16-2013 10:36 AM
    Same here, if the iPad is in landscape. I can almost "touch type" on it, up until I need to switch to the special character keyboard. Portrait on the other hand, I have to thumb type.
    12-18-2013 06:08 AM
    Same here, if the iPad is in landscape. I can almost "touch type" on it, up until I need to switch to the special character keyboard. Portrait on the other hand, I have to thumb type.
    Keep trying. It will become second nature to you. I haven't been doing it that long. But when you get used to it, you will really be happy. I don't even have to look at the keyboard anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    12-19-2013 04:59 PM
    Anyone else gotten good at traditional typing on the software keyboard? I remember when I first got an iPad, I couldn't type on the software keyboard at all. But I kept practicing and now I am pretty good. I prefer the software keyboard now even though I do have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use at work from time to time. I have really become accustomed to the auto correct and the double space for the period.
    I have long thumbs so typing on the iP4 was not too bad. With the air, its a breeze. I have the Zagg Folio case for it too which is nice and even better but if you are sticking to the software it's pretty good!
    12-24-2013 04:02 PM
    This is my first ever iPad and I was really worried about the typing experience. So far I've been doing pretty good. Portrait mode isn't as good but Landscape is awesome. I tried splitting the keyboard but that didn't work so well.

Sent from my iPad baby!!!!
    12-28-2013 06:22 PM
    This is my first ever iPad and I was really worried about the typing experience. So far I've been doing pretty good. Portrait mode isn't as good but Landscape is awesome. I tried splitting the keyboard but that didn't work so well.

Sent from my iPad baby!!!!
    One of the guys on my crew uses the split keyboard and he is a pro at it. It's pretty cool to watch him rapid fire out an email.
    TorrieB likes this.
    12-29-2013 06:53 PM
    One of the guys on my crew uses the split keyboard and he is a pro at it. It's pretty cool to watch him rapid fire out an email.
    I haven't really tried to use the split keyboard. But I would think that after a while you would get really good at using it if you practiced enough. I don't like to type on the keyboard like that though. I think that I would be much faster typing like a tradition laptop keyboard. But whichever method is best for the user. I was wondering if Apple would implement some sort of swype keyboard to iOS. I think that that would assist those who haven't embraced the current software keyboard.
    01-06-2014 11:10 AM
    Since getting the new iPad Air I have become quite adept at thumb typing in portrait mode. I've never found touch typing I landscape to be a problem.
    01-07-2014 08:47 PM
    that was one of the big reasons I switched to a Galaxy Note II. The stock Samsung keyboard has some swype built in but the full purchased version is awesome. I'm OK typing on my Air in landscape (strictly hunt & peck) but am just too used to physical keys for touch typing and if it's going to be a long typing session then I'll break out the BT keyboard. I wrote a love letter to Apple begging for them to start allowing 3rd party keyboards (even paying for them would be fine by me) but they'll never change until enough people vote with their wallets. I can only hope some options come with iOS 8. Actually I can't wait for iOS 8 because I'm definitely an iOS 7 hater, a clear case of form trumping function.
    01-13-2014 11:39 AM
    For me it's backwards, I can type fine on the iPad Air however I struggle with the mini ... In portrait mode the mini is easy to type but in landscape my hands are just too big. Now on the Air I find it easy to type in both orientations. Perhaps it's the slimmer bezel.
    01-16-2014 11:12 AM
    I find myself wanting the Touchfire keyboard for the Air. For those unaware, it is a plastic membrane type keyboard you can place over the iPad keyboard so that you can touch type, then it rolls out of the way when you don't need it. Unfortunately, it still hasn't been released for the Air.
    01-25-2014 07:52 AM
36 12