Typing experience on software keyboard

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else gotten good at traditional typing on the software keyboard? I remember when I first got an iPad, I couldn't type on the software keyboard at all. But I kept practicing and now I am pretty good. I prefer the software keyboard now even though I do have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use at work from time to time. I have really become accustomed to the auto correct and the double space for the period.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad mini, and typing on it is a cinch, but I did not enjoy typing on the full size iPad that I had and opted to use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad mini, and typing on it is a cinch, but I did not enjoy typing on the full size iPad that I had and opted to use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with it.

I wouldn't have thought that. Do you type in the traditional style or are you thumb typing?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I just tried it on my daughter's iPad mini and it is easy to type on. I thought that it would be tougher because the screen size is smaller but it really isn't. It actually felt like I was typing a little faster.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it on my daughter's iPad mini and it is easy to type on. I thought that it would be tougher because the screen size is smaller but it really isn't. It actually felt like I was typing a little faster.

Yeah, depending on the size of your hands, it's almost perfect for thumb typing, on my opinion.

DJHalle

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I type with my thumbs, but I keep my keyboard split. It feels more natural this way, and is more consistent with typing on an iPhone. In case you didn't know, you can split the iPad software keyboard by swiping apart with your thumbs from the middle (do the opposite to slide it back together).

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
When I had an air and sometimes with my mini I placed it down and typed like a regular keyboard which worked for me. I'm actually typing with the split keyboard right now though

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My first experience with a software keyboard was on my HP Touchpad which had a lot of choices but I will always like a physical keyboard

Back in grade school I held the record of 63 words per minute using an electric type writer

I can now type pretty fast one handed thumb on my iPhone 📲

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I usually don't type with my thumbs. I type like I do on a regular computer keyboard.

Same here, if the iPad is in landscape. I can almost "touch type" on it, up until I need to switch to the special character keyboard. Portrait on the other hand, I have to thumb type.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Same here, if the iPad is in landscape. I can almost "touch type" on it, up until I need to switch to the special character keyboard. Portrait on the other hand, I have to thumb type.

Keep trying. It will become second nature to you. I haven't been doing it that long. But when you get used to it, you will really be happy. I don't even have to look at the keyboard anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else gotten good at traditional typing on the software keyboard? I remember when I first got an iPad, I couldn't type on the software keyboard at all. But I kept practicing and now I am pretty good. I prefer the software keyboard now even though I do have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use at work from time to time. I have really become accustomed to the auto correct and the double space for the period.

I have long thumbs so typing on the iP4 was not too bad. With the air, its a breeze. I have the Zagg Folio case for it too which is nice and even better but if you are sticking to the software it's pretty good!

TorrieB

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
This is my first ever iPad and I was really worried about the typing experience. So far I've been doing pretty good. Portrait mode isn't as good but Landscape is awesome. I tried splitting the keyboard but that didn't work so well.

Sent from my iPad baby!!!!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
This is my first ever iPad and I was really worried about the typing experience. So far I've been doing pretty good. Portrait mode isn't as good but Landscape is awesome. I tried splitting the keyboard but that didn't work so well.

Sent from my iPad baby!!!!

One of the guys on my crew uses the split keyboard and he is a pro at it. It's pretty cool to watch him rapid fire out an email.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW